声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
If we evolved from monkeys. why are there still monkeys?
[AI] 如果我们是从猴子进化而来的。为什么还有猴子?
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Well. because we're not monkeys.
[AI] 好因为我们不是猴子。
we're fish.
[AI] 我们是鱼。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Now. knowing you're a fish and not a monkey
[AI] 现在知道你是条鱼而不是猴子
is actually really important to understanding where we came from.
[AI] 这对了解我们的来历非常重要。
I teach one of the largest evolutionary biology classes in the US.
[AI] 我教美国最大的进化生物学课程之一。
and when my students finally understand why I call them fish all the time.
[AI] 当我的学生终于明白为什么我总是叫他们鱼的时候。
then I know I'm getting my job done.
[AI] 那我就知道我正在完成我的工作。
But I always have to start my classes by dispelling some hardwired myths.
[AI] 但我总是要在开始上课时消除一些根深蒂固的误解。
because without really knowing it. many of us were taught evolution wrong.
[AI] 因为我不知道。我们中的许多人被教导进化论是错误的。
For instance. we're taught to say "the theory of evolution."
[AI] 例如。我们被教导说“进化论”
There are actually many theories. and just like the process itself.
[AI] 实际上有很多理论。就像过程本身一样。
the ones that best fit the data are the ones that survive to this day.
[AI] 最符合数据的是那些存活至今的。
The one we know best is Darwinian natural selection.
[AI] 我们最了解的是达尔文的自然选择。
That's the process by which organisms that best fit an environment
[AI] 这是生物体最适合环境的过程
survive and get to reproduce.
[AI] 生存并繁殖。
while those that are less fit slowly die off.
[AI] 而那些不太健康的人会慢慢死去。
And that's it.
[AI] 就这样。
Evolution is as simple as that. and it's a fact.
[AI] 进化就这么简单。这是事实。
Evolution is a fact as much as the "theory of gravity."
[AI] 进化和“引力理论”一样是一个事实
You can prove it just as easily.
[AI] 你可以很容易地证明这一点。
You just need to look at your bellybutton
[AI] 你只需要看看你的肚脐
that you share with other placental mammals.
[AI] 和其他胎盘哺乳动物一样。
or your backbone that you share with other vertebrates.
[AI] 或者你与其他脊椎动物共用的脊椎。
or your DNA that you share with all other life on earth.
[AI] 或者你与地球上所有其他生命共享的DNA。
Those traits didn't pop up in humans.
[AI] 这些特征并没有在人类身上出现。
They were passed down from different ancestors
[AI] 他们是从不同的祖先传下来的
to all their descendants. not just us.
[AI] 给他们所有的子孙。不仅仅是我们。
But that's not really how we learn biology early on. is it?
[AI] 但这并不是我们早期学习生物学的方式。它是?
We learn plants and bacteria are primitive things.
[AI] 我们知道植物和细菌是原始的东西。
and fish give rise to amphibians followed by reptiles and mammals.
[AI] 鱼类产生了两栖动物,其次是爬行动物和哺乳动物。
and then you get you.
[AI] 然后你就明白了。
this perfectly evolved creature at the end of the line.
[AI] 这是一种进化完美的生物,在队伍的尽头。
But life doesn't evolve in a line.
[AI] 但生命不是一条直线进化的。
and it doesn't end with us.
[AI] 它不会在我们身上结束。
But we're always shown evolution portrayed something like this.
[AI] 但我们总是看到进化论是这样描述的。
a monkey and a chimpanzee.
[AI] 一只猴子和一只黑猩猩。
some extinct humans.
[AI] 一些已经灭绝的人类。
all on a forward and steady march to becoming us.
[AI] 所有人都在向成为我们的目标迈进。
But they don't become us any more than we would become them.
[AI] 但他们不会变成我们,就像我们不会变成他们一样。
We're also not the goal of evolution.
[AI] 我们也不是进化的目标。
But why does it matter?
[AI] 但这又有什么关系呢?
Why do we need to understand evolution the right way?
[AI] 为什么我们需要以正确的方式理解进化?
Well. misunderstanding evolution has led to many problems.
[AI] 好对进化的误解导致了许多问题。
but you can't ask that age-old question.
[AI] 但你不能问那个老问题。
"Where are we from?"
[AI] “我们从哪里来?”
without understanding evolution the right way.
[AI] 没有正确理解进化。
Misunderstanding it has led to many convoluted and corrupted views
[AI] 对它的误解导致了许多复杂和腐败的观点
of how we should treat other life on earth.
[AI] 我们应该如何对待地球上的其他生命。
and how we should treat each other
[AI] 我们应该如何对待彼此
in terms of race and gender.
[AI] 在种族和性别方面。
So let's go back four billion years.
[AI] 让我们回到40亿年前。
This is the single-celled organism we all came from.
[AI] 这是我们都来自的单细胞生物。
At first. it gave rise to other single-celled life.
[AI] 一开始它催生了另一种单细胞生命。
but these are still evolving to this day.
[AI] 但时至今日,这些仍在不断发展。
and some would say the Archaea and Bacteria
[AI] 有人会说古细菌和细菌
that make up most of this group
[AI] 他们构成了这个群体的大部分
is the most successful on the planet.
[AI] 是这个星球上最成功的。
They are certainly going to be here well after us.
[AI] 他们肯定会在这里追我们的。
About three billion years ago. multicellularity evolved.
[AI] 大约30亿年前。多细胞性进化。
This includes your fungi and your plants and your animals.
[AI] 这包括你的真菌、植物和动物。
The first animals to develop a backbone were fishes.
[AI] 最早形成脊骨的动物是鱼类。
So technically. all vertebrates are fishes.
[AI] 技术上是这样。所有脊椎动物都是鱼。
so technically. you and I are fish.
[AI] 技术上是这样。你和我是鱼。
So don't say I didn't warn you.
[AI] 所以不要说我没有警告你。
One fish lineage came onto land
[AI] 一个鱼类血统来到了陆地
and gave rise to. among other things. the mammals and reptiles.
[AI] 并产生了。除其他外。哺乳动物和爬行动物。
Some reptiles become birds. some mammals become primates.
[AI] 有些爬行动物会变成鸟。有些哺乳动物变成灵长类动物。
some primates become monkeys with tails.
[AI] 有些灵长类动物变成有尾巴的猴子。
and others become the great apes. including a variety of human species.
[AI] 还有一些变成了大猩猩。包括各种各样的人类物种。
So you see. we didn't evolve from monkeys.
[AI] 你看。我们不是从猴子进化而来的。
but we do share a common ancestor with them.
[AI] 但我们确实与他们有共同的祖先。
All the while. life around us kept evolving:
[AI] 一直以来。我们周围的生活不断演变:
more bacteria. more fungi. lots of fish. fish. fish.
[AI] 更多的细菌。更多的真菌。很多鱼。鱼鱼
If you couldn't tell -- yes. they're my favorite group.
[AI] 如果你说不出来——是的。他们是我最喜欢的团体。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
As life evolves. it also goes extinct.
[AI] 随着生命的进化。它也会灭绝。
Most species just last for a few million years.
[AI] 大多数物种只能存活几百万年。
So you see. most life on earth that we see around us today
[AI] 你看。我们今天看到的地球上的大多数生命
are about the same age as our species.
[AI] 和我们的物种年龄差不多。
So it's hubris. it's self-centered to think.
[AI] 所以这是自大。思考是以自我为中心的。
"Oh. plants and bacteria are primitive.
[AI] “哦,植物和细菌都是原始的。
and we've been here for an evolutionary minute.
[AI] 我们已经在这里进化了一分钟。
so we're somehow special."
[AI] 所以我们有点特别。"
Think of life as being this book. an unfinished book for sure.
[AI] 把生活想象成这本书。肯定是一本未完成的书。
We're just seeing the last few pages of each chapter.
[AI] 我们只看到每章的最后几页。
If you look out on the eight million species
[AI] 如果你留意八百万物种
that we share this planet with.
[AI] 我们与之共享这个星球。
think of them all being four billion years of evolution.
[AI] 想象一下,它们都是40亿年的进化。
They're all the product of that.
[AI] 它们都是这个过程的产物。
Think of us all as young leaves on this ancient and gigantic tree of life.
[AI] 把我们都想象成这棵古老而巨大的生命之树上的嫩叶。
all of us connected by invisible branches not just to each other.
[AI] 我们所有人都通过看不见的树枝联系在一起,而不仅仅是彼此之间。
but to our extinct relatives and our evolutionary ancestors.
[AI] 但是对于我们已经灭绝的亲戚和我们进化的祖先。
As a biologist. I'm still trying to learn. with others.
[AI] 作为一名生物学家。我还在努力学习。和其他人一起。
how everyone's related to each other. who is related to whom.
[AI] 每个人之间的关系。谁是谁的亲戚。
Perhaps it's better still
[AI] 也许更好
to think of us as a little fish out of water.
[AI] 把我们当作一条离开水的小鱼。
Yes. one that learned to walk and talk.
[AI] 对学会走路和说话的人。
but one that still has a lot of learning to do
[AI] 但是还有很多东西要学
about who we are and where we came from.
[AI] 关于我们是谁,我们来自哪里。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)