声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
When I was in high school at the age of 17 --
[AI] 当我17岁上高中的时候--
I graduated from high school in Decatur. Georgia.
[AI] 我从迪凯特高中毕业。格鲁吉亚。
as valedictorian of my high school --
[AI] 作为我高中的告别演讲人--
I was very proud of myself.
[AI] 我为自己感到非常自豪。
I was from a low-income community. I had grown up in Mississippi.
[AI] 我来自一个低收入社区。我在密西西比州长大。
we'd moved from Mississippi to Georgia
[AI] 我们从密西西比搬到了佐治亚州
so my parents could pursue their degrees as United Methodist ministers.
[AI] 所以我的父母可以作为联合卫理公会的牧师来攻读学位。
We were poor. but they didn't think we were poor enough.
[AI] 我们很穷。但他们认为我们不够穷。
so they were going for permanent poverty.
[AI] 因此,他们将走向永久贫困。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And so. while they studied at Emory.
[AI] 等等。当他们在埃默里学习时。
I studied at Avondale. and I became valedictorian.
[AI] 我在阿文代尔学习。我成为了告别演讲人。
Well. one of the joys of being valedictorian in the state of Georgia
[AI] 好在乔治亚州做告别演讲的乐趣之一
is that you get invited to meet the governor of Georgia.
[AI] 你被邀请去见乔治亚州州长。
I was mildly interested in meeting him.
[AI] 我有点想见他。
It was kind of cool.
[AI] 有点酷。
I was more intrigued by the fact that he lived in a mansion.
[AI] 我更感兴趣的是他住在一座豪宅里。
because I watched a lot of "General Hospital" and "Dynasty"
[AI] 因为我看了很多《综合医院》和《王朝》
as a child.
[AI] 小时候。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And so I got up that morning. ready to go to visit the governor.
[AI] 所以那天早上我就起床了。准备去拜访州长。
My mom and my dad. who were also invited. got up.
[AI] 我的妈妈和爸爸。他们也被邀请了。起床了。
and we went outside.
[AI] 然后我们出去了。
But we didn't get in our car.
[AI] 但是我们没有上车。
And in the south. a car is a necessary thing.
[AI] 在南方。汽车是必需品。
We don't have a lot of public transit. there aren't a lot of options.
[AI] 我们没有很多公共交通工具。没有太多的选择。
But if you're lucky enough to live in a community
[AI] 但是如果你有幸生活在一个社区里
where you don't have a car.
[AI] 你没有车的地方。
the only option is public transit.
[AI] 唯一的选择是公共交通。
And that's what we had to take.
[AI] 这就是我们必须接受的。
And so we got on the bus.
[AI] 于是我们上了公共汽车。
And we took the bus from Decatur all the way to Buckhead.
[AI] 我们从迪凯特坐公共汽车一直到巴克黑德。
where the Governor's Mansion sat on this really beautiful acreage of land.
[AI] 州长官邸坐落在这片美丽的土地上。
with these long black gates that ran the length of the property.
[AI] 这些长长的黑色大门贯穿整个庄园。
We get to the Governor's Mansion.
[AI] 我们到了州长官邸。
we pull the little lever that lets them know this is our stop.
[AI] 我们拉动小杠杆,让他们知道这是我们的止损点。
we get off the bus.
[AI] 我们下车。
my mom. my dad and I. we walk across the street.
[AI] 我妈妈。我爸爸和我。我们穿过街道。
We walk up the driveway. because there are cars coming up.
[AI] 我们沿着车道走。因为有车来了。
cars bringing in students from all across the state of Georgia.
[AI] 来自乔治亚州各地的学生乘坐的汽车。
So we're walking along the side.
[AI] 所以我们沿着这条路走。
And as we walk single file along the side.
[AI] 当我们排成一排走在路边的时候。
my mom and dad sandwiching me to make sure I don't get hit by one of the cars
[AI] 我爸妈把我夹在中间,以确保我不会被车撞到
bringing in the other valedictorians.
[AI] 邀请其他的告别者。
we approach the guard gate.
[AI] 我们接近警卫门。
When we get to the guard gate. the guard comes out.
[AI] 当我们到达警卫门的时候。卫兵出来了。
He looks at me. and he looks at my parents.
[AI] 他看着我。他看着我的父母。
and he says. "You don't belong here. this is a private event."
[AI] 他说。“你不属于这里。这是私人活动。”
My dad says. "No. this is my daughter. Stacey. She's one of the valedictorians."
[AI] 我爸爸说。“不,这是我女儿。斯泰西。她是告别演讲人之一。”
But the guard doesn't look at the checklist that's in his hands.
[AI] 但是警卫没有看他手里的清单。
He doesn't ask my mom for the invitation
[AI] 他没有向我妈妈要邀请函
that's at the bottom of her very voluminous purse.
[AI] 那是在她巨大钱包的底部。
Instead. he looks over our shoulder at the bus.
[AI] 相反他越过我们的肩膀看着公共汽车。
because in his mind. the bus is telling him a story about who should be there.
[AI] 因为在他心里。公共汽车正在给他讲一个关于谁应该在那里的故事。
And the fact that we were too poor to have our own car --
[AI] 事实上,我们太穷了,没有自己的车--
that was a story he told himself.
[AI] 那是他自己讲的故事。
And he may have seen something in my skin color.
[AI] 他可能在我的肤色上看到了什么。
he may have seen something in my attire;
[AI] 他可能在我的衣服上看到了什么;
I don't know what went through his mind.
[AI] 我不知道他在想什么。
But his conclusion was to look at me again.
[AI] 但他的结论是再看看我。
and with a look of disdain. say.
[AI] 带着轻蔑的神情。说
"I told you. this is a private event. You don't belong here."
[AI] “我告诉过你。这是私人活动。你不属于这里。”
Now. my parents were studying to become United Methodist ministers.
[AI] 现在我的父母正在学习成为联合卫理公会的牧师。
but they were not pastors yet.
[AI] 但他们还不是牧师。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And so they proceeded to engage this gentleman
[AI] 于是他们开始与这位先生接触
in a very robust discussion of his decision-making skills.
[AI] 在一次关于他的决策技巧的热烈讨论中。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
My father may have mentioned
[AI] 我父亲可能提到过
that he was going to spend eternity in a very fiery place
[AI] 他将在一个非常火热的地方度过永生
if he didn't find my name on that checklist.
[AI] 如果他在清单上找不到我的名字。
And indeed. the man checks the checklist eventually.
[AI] 的确如此。该男子最终检查了清单。
and he found my name. and he let us inside.
[AI] 他找到了我的名字。他让我们进去了。
But I don't remember meeting the governor of Georgia.
[AI] 但我不记得见过乔治亚州州长。
I don't recall meeting my fellow valedictorians
[AI] 我不记得见过我的同事们
from 180 school districts.
[AI] 来自180个学区。
The only clear memory I have of that day
[AI] 那一天我唯一清晰的记忆
was a man standing in front of the most powerful place in Georgia.
[AI] 是一个站在佐治亚州最强大的地方前的人。
looking at me and telling me I don't belong.
[AI] 看着我,告诉我我不属于你。
And so I decided. 20-some-odd years later.
[AI] 于是我决定。20多年后。
to be the person who got to open the gates.
[AI] 成为打开大门的人。
(Cheers)
[AI] (干杯)
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
Unfortunately. you may have read the rest of the story.
[AI] 不幸地你可能已经读了故事的其余部分。
It didn't quite work out that way.
[AI] 结果不是那样的。
And now I'm tasked with figuring out: How do I move forward?
[AI] 现在我的任务是弄清楚:我该如何前进?
Because. you see. I didn't just want to open the gates for young black women
[AI] 因为你看。我不只是想为年轻的黑人女性打开大门
who had been underestimated and told they don't belong.
[AI] 他们被低估了,被告知不属于他们。
I wanted to open those gates for Latinas and for Asian Americans.
[AI] 我想为拉丁美洲人和亚裔美国人打开这些大门。
I wanted to open those gates for the undocumented and the documented.
[AI] 我想为那些无证和有证的人打开大门。
I wanted to open those gates as an ally of the LGBTQ community.
[AI] 我想作为LGBTQ社区的盟友打开这些大门。
I wanted to open those gates
[AI] 我想打开那些门
for the families that have to call themselves the victims of gun violence.
[AI] 那些不得不自称为枪支暴力受害者的家庭。
I wanted to open those gates wide for everyone in Georgia.
[AI] 我想为格鲁吉亚的每个人敞开大门。
because that is our state. and this is our nation.
[AI] 因为那是我们的国家。这就是我们的国家。
and we all belong here.
[AI] 我们都属于这里。
(Cheers)
[AI] (干杯)
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
But what I recognized is that the first try wasn't enough.
[AI] 但我认识到第一次尝试是不够的。
And my question became: How do I move forward?
[AI] 我的问题是:我该如何前进?
How do I get beyond the bitterness and the sadness and the lethargy
[AI] 我怎样才能摆脱痛苦、悲伤和昏昏欲睡
and watching an inordinate amount of television as I eat ice cream?
[AI] 当我吃冰激凌的时候看了太多的电视?
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
What do I do next?
[AI] 我下一步做什么?
And I'm going to do what I've always done.
[AI] 我要做我一直做的事。
I'm going to move forward. because going backwards isn't an option
[AI] 我要继续前进。因为倒退不是一种选择
and standing still is not enough.
[AI] 站着不动是不够的。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
You see. I began my race for governor
[AI] 你看。我开始竞选州长
by analyzing who I was and what I wanted to be.
[AI] 通过分析我是谁,我想成为什么。
And there are three questions I ask myself about everything I do.
[AI] 关于我所做的每件事,我都会问自己三个问题。
whether it's running for office or starting a business;
[AI] 无论是竞选公职还是创业;
when I decided to start the New Georgia Project
[AI] 当我决定开始新的佐治亚计划时
to register people to vote;
[AI] 登记投票人;
or when I started the latest action. Fair Fight Georgia.
[AI] 或者当我开始最新的行动时。公平竞争格鲁吉亚。
No matter what I do. I ask myself three questions:
[AI] 不管我做什么。我问自己三个问题:
What do I want?
[AI] 我想要什么?
Why do I want it?
[AI] 我为什么想要它?
And how do I get it?
[AI] 我怎么得到它?
And in this case. I know what I want.
[AI] 在这种情况下。我知道我想要什么。
I want change.
[AI] 我想要零钱。
That is what I want.
[AI] 这就是我想要的。
But the question is:
[AI] 但问题是:
What change do I want to see?
[AI] 我想看到什么变化?
And I know that the questions I have to ask myself are:
[AI] 我知道我必须问自己的问题是:
One. am I honest about the scope of my ambition?
[AI] 一我对自己的抱负范围诚实吗?
Because it's easy to figure out that once you didn't get what you wanted.
[AI] 因为很容易发现一旦你没有得到你想要的。
then maybe you should have set your sights a little lower.
[AI] 那么也许你应该把眼光放低一点。
but I'm here to tell you to be aggressive about your ambition.
[AI] 但我在这里告诉你,对你的雄心壮志要有进取心。
Do not allow setbacks to set you back.
[AI] 不要让挫折阻碍你。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
Number two. let yourself understand your mistakes.
[AI] 二号。让你自己理解你的错误。
But also understand their mistakes.
[AI] 但也要理解他们的错误。
because. as women in particular.
[AI] 因为尤其是女性。
we're taught that if something doesn't work out.
[AI] 我们被教导如果事情不成功。
it's probably our fault.
[AI] 这可能是我们的错。
And usually. there is something we could do better.
[AI] 而且通常。有些事情我们可以做得更好。
but we've been told not to investigate too much
[AI] 但我们被告知不要调查太多
what the other side could have done.
[AI] 对方本可以做的事。
And this isn't partisan -- it's people.
[AI] 这不是党派之争,而是人。
We're too often told that our mistakes are ours alone.
[AI] 我们经常被告知,我们的错误是我们自己的。
but victory is a shared benefit.
[AI] 但胜利是一种共同利益。
And so what I tell you to do is understand your mistakes.
[AI] 所以我告诉你要做的就是理解你的错误。
but understand the mistakes of others.
[AI] 但是要理解别人的错误。
And be clearheaded about it.
[AI] 而且要头脑清醒。
And be honest with yourself and honest with those who support you.
[AI] 对自己诚实,对支持你的人诚实。
But once you know what you want.
[AI] 但一旦你知道你想要什么。
understand why you want it.
[AI] 明白你为什么想要它。
And even though it feels good. revenge is not a good reason.
[AI] 尽管感觉很好。报复不是一个好理由。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Instead. make sure you want it
[AI] 相反确保你想要它
because there's something not that you should do.
[AI] 因为有些事你不该做。
but something you must do.
[AI] 但有些事你必须做。
It has to be something that doesn't allow you to sleep at night
[AI] 它必须是不允许你晚上睡觉的东西
unless you're dreaming about it;
[AI] 除非你在做梦;
something that wakes you up in the morning and gets you excited about it;
[AI] 早上醒来让你兴奋的事情;
or something that makes you so angry.
[AI] 或者是让你很生气的事。
you know you have to do something about it.
[AI] 你知道你必须做点什么。
But know why you're doing it.
[AI] 但要知道你为什么这么做。
And know why it must be done.
[AI] 并且知道为什么必须这样做。
You've listened to women from across this world
[AI] 你听过来自世界各地的女人的话
talk about why things have to happen.
[AI] 谈谈为什么事情会发生。
But figure out what the "why" is for you.
[AI] 但要弄清楚“为什么”对你来说是什么。
because jumping from the "what" to the "do"
[AI] 因为从“做什么”跳到“做什么”
is meaningless if you don't know why.
[AI] 如果你不知道为什么,这是毫无意义的。
Because when it gets hard. when it gets tough.
[AI] 因为当它变得困难的时候。当事情变得艰难时。
when your friends walk away from you.
[AI] 当你的朋友离开你的时候。
when your supporters forget you.
[AI] 当你的支持者忘记你的时候。
when you don't win your first race --
[AI] 当你没有赢得第一场比赛时--
if you don't know why. you can't try again.
[AI] 如果你不知道为什么。你不能再试一次。
So. first know what you want.
[AI] 所以首先要知道你想要什么。
Second. know why you want it.
[AI] 第二知道你为什么想要它。
but third. know how you're going to get it done.
[AI] 但是第三。知道你要怎么做。
I faced a few obstacles in this race.
[AI] 我在这场比赛中遇到了一些障碍。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Just a few.
[AI] 就几个。
But in the pursuit.
[AI] 但在追求中。
I became the first black woman to ever become the nominee for governor
[AI] 我成为有史以来第一位被提名为州长的黑人女性
in the history of the United States of America for a major party.
[AI] 在美国历史上为一个主要政党。
(Cheers)
[AI] (干杯)
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
But more importantly. in this process.
[AI] 但更重要的是。在这个过程中。
we turned out 1.2 million African American voters in Georgia.
[AI] 我们在格鲁吉亚培养了120万非裔美国人选民。
That is more voters
[AI] 这是更多的选民
than voted on the Democratic side of the ticket in 2014.
[AI] 2014年,他投了民主党的票。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
Our campaign tripled the number of Latinos
[AI] 我们的竞选活动使拉丁美洲人的人数增加了三倍
who believed their voices mattered in the state of Georgia.
[AI] 他们认为他们的声音在佐治亚州很重要。
We tripled the number of Asian Americans
[AI] 我们把亚裔美国人的数量增加了两倍
who stood up and said. "This is our state. too."
[AI] 他站起来说。“这也是我们的州。”
Those are successes that tell me how I can get it done.
[AI] 这些成功告诉我如何才能完成它。
But they also let me understand the obstacles aren't insurmountable.
[AI] 但他们也让我明白,障碍并非不可逾越。
They're just a little high.
[AI] 只是有点高。
But I also understand
[AI] 但我也明白
that there are three things that always hold us hostage.
[AI] 有三件事总是把我们扣为人质。
The first is finances.
[AI] 首先是财政。
Now. you may have heard. I'm in a little bit of debt.
[AI] 现在你可能听说过。我欠了一点债。
If you didn't hear about it. you did not go outside.
[AI] 如果你没听说的话。你没有出去。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And finances are something that holds us back so often.
[AI] 而财务状况常常让我们望而却步。
our dreams are bounded by how much we have in resources.
[AI] 我们的梦想受我们拥有多少资源的限制。
But we hear again and again
[AI] 但我们一次又一次地听到
the stories of those who overcome those resource challenges.
[AI] 那些克服这些资源挑战的人的故事。
But you can't overcome something you don't talk about.
[AI] 但是你无法克服一些你不说的事情。
And that's why I didn't allow them to debt-shame me in my campaign.
[AI] 这就是为什么我不允许他们在我的竞选活动中借债羞辱我。
I didn't allow anyone to tell me that my lack of opportunity
[AI] 我不允许任何人告诉我我缺少机会
was a reason to disqualify me from running.
[AI] 这是取消我参赛资格的原因。
And believe me. people tried to tell me I shouldn't run.
[AI] 相信我。人们试图告诉我我不应该跑。
Friends told me not to run.
[AI] 朋友告诉我不要跑。
Allies told me not to run.
[AI] 盟军告诉我不要跑。
"USA Today" mentioned maybe I shouldn't run.
[AI] 《今日美国》提到也许我不应该跑步。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
But no matter who it was.
[AI] 但不管是谁。
I understood that finances are often a reason we don't let ourselves dream.
[AI] 我明白,财务状况往往是我们不让自己做梦的原因。
I can't say that you will always overcome those obstacles.
[AI] 我不能说你总能克服这些障碍。
but I will tell you. you will be damned if you do not try.
[AI] 但我会告诉你的。如果你不尝试,你会被诅咒的。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
The second is fear.
[AI] 第二是恐惧。
And fear is real.
[AI] 恐惧是真实的。
It is paralyzing.
[AI] 它使人瘫痪。
It is terrifying.
[AI] 这是可怕的。
But it can also be energizing.
[AI] 但它也能让人振奋。
because once you know what you're afraid of.
[AI] 因为一旦你知道你害怕什么。
you can figure out how to get around it.
[AI] 你可以想办法避开它。
And the third is fatigue.
[AI] 第三是疲劳。
Sometimes you just get tired of trying.
[AI] 有时候你只是厌倦了尝试。
You get tired of reading about processes and politics
[AI] 你厌倦了阅读有关流程和政治的书籍
and the things that stop you from getting where you want to be.
[AI] 还有那些阻止你到达你想要的地方的事情。
Sometimes. fatigue means that we accept position instead of power.
[AI] 有时疲劳意味着我们接受地位而不是权力。
We let someone give us a title as a consolation prize.
[AI] 我们让别人给我们一个头衔作为安慰奖。
rather than realizing we know what we want and we're going to get it.
[AI] 而不是意识到我们知道我们想要什么,我们会得到它。
even if we're tired.
[AI] 即使我们累了。
That's why God created naps.
[AI] 这就是上帝创造午睡的原因。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
But we also learn in those moments
[AI] 但我们也在这些时刻学习
that fatigue is an opportunity to evaluate how much we want it.
[AI] 疲劳是一个评估我们有多想要它的机会。
Because if you are beaten down.
[AI] 因为如果你被打败了。
if you have worked as hard as you can.
[AI] 如果你尽你所能努力工作。
if you have done everything you said you should.
[AI] 如果你说的都做了,你就应该做。
and it still doesn't work out.
[AI] 但仍然没有成功。
fatigue can sap you of your energy.
[AI] 疲劳会消耗你的精力。
But that's why you go back to the "why" of it.
[AI] 但这就是为什么你要回到它的“为什么”。
Because I know we have to have women who speak for the voiceless.
[AI] 因为我知道我们必须有为无声者说话的女人。
I know we have to have people of good conscience
[AI] 我知道我们必须有良知的人
who stand up against oppression.
[AI] 他们反抗压迫。
I know we have to have people
[AI] 我知道我们必须有人
who understand that social justice belongs to us all.
[AI] 他们明白社会正义属于我们所有人。
And that wakes me up every morning.
[AI] 这让我每天早上都醒来。
and that makes me fight even harder.
[AI] 这让我更加努力地战斗。
Because I am moving forward. knowing what is in my past.
[AI] 因为我在前进。知道我的过去是什么。
I know the obstacles they have for me.
[AI] 我知道他们为我设置的障碍。
I know what they're going to do.
[AI] 我知道他们要做什么。
and I'm fairly certain they're energizing and creating new obstacles now.
[AI] 我相当肯定,他们现在正在激发活力,制造新的障碍。
But they've got four years to figure it out.
[AI] 但他们有四年的时间来解决这个问题。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
Maybe two.
[AI] 也许两个。
(Cheers)
[AI] (干杯)
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
But here's my point:
[AI] 但我的观点是:
I know what I want. and that is justice.
[AI] 我知道我想要什么。这就是正义。
I know why I want it.
[AI] 我知道我为什么想要它。
because poverty is immoral. and it is a stain on our nation.
[AI] 因为贫穷是不道德的。这是我们国家的污点。
And I know how I'm going to get it:
[AI] 我知道我将如何得到它:
by moving forward every single day.
[AI] 每天向前走。
Thank you so much.
[AI] 非常感谢你。
(Cheers)
[AI] (干杯)
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)