声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
The human voice:
[AI] 人声:
It's the instrument we all play.
[AI] 这是我们大家都玩的乐器。
It's the most powerful sound in the world. probably.
[AI] 这是世界上最强大的声音。可能
It's the only one that can start a war or say "I love you."
[AI] 这是唯一一个可以发动战争或说“我爱你”的人
And yet many people have the experience
[AI] 然而,许多人都有这种经历
that when they speak. people don't listen to them.
[AI] 当他们说话的时候。人们不听他们的。
And why is that?
[AI] 为什么会这样?
How can we speak powerfully to make change in the world?
[AI] 我们如何才能有力地说话来改变世界?
What I'd like to suggest.
[AI] 我想提出的建议。
there are a number of habits that we need to move away from.
[AI] 我们需要改掉许多习惯。
I've assembled for your pleasure here seven deadly sins of speaking.
[AI] 我已经为你的快乐在这里集合了七宗说话的罪。
I'm not pretending this is an exhaustive list.
[AI] 我并不是假装这是一份详尽的清单。
but these seven. I think. are pretty large habits that we can all fall into.
[AI] 但是这七个。我想。是我们都可以养成的相当大的习惯。
First. gossip.
[AI] 第一流言蜚语
Speaking ill of somebody who's not present.
[AI] 说不在场的人的坏话。
Not a nice habit. and we know perfectly well
[AI] 这不是一个好习惯。我们非常清楚
the person gossiping. five minutes later. will be gossiping about us.
[AI] 说闲话的人。五分钟后。会说我们的闲话。
Second. judging.
[AI] 第二判断。
We know people who are like this in conversation.
[AI] 我们认识这样的人。
and it's very hard to listen to somebody
[AI] 听别人说话很难
if you know that you're being judged and found wanting at the same time.
[AI] 如果你知道你在被评判的同时被发现有缺陷。
Third. negativity.
[AI] 第三消极性。
You can fall into this.
[AI] 你可能会陷入这样的境地。
My mother. in the last years of her life. became very negative.
[AI] 我妈妈。在她生命的最后几年。变得非常消极。
and it's hard to listen.
[AI] 而且很难听。
I remember one day. I said to her. "It's October 1 today."
[AI] 我记得有一天。我对她说。“今天是十月一日。”
and she said. "I know. isn't it dreadful?"
[AI] 她说。“我知道,这不是很可怕吗?”
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
It's hard to listen when somebody's that negative.
[AI] 当有人那么消极时,很难倾听。
And another form of negativity. complaining.
[AI] 还有另一种形式的消极。抱怨。
Well. this is the national art of the U.K.
[AI] 好这是英国的民族艺术。
It's our national sport.
[AI] 这是我们的国家运动。
We complain about the weather. sport. about politics. about everything.
[AI] 我们抱怨天气。运动关于政治。关于一切。
but actually. complaining is viral misery.
[AI] 但事实上。抱怨是病毒式的痛苦。
It's not spreading sunshine and lightness in the world.
[AI] 它没有在世界上传播阳光和光明。
Excuses. We've all met this guy.
[AI] 借口。我们都见过这个家伙。
Maybe we've all been this guy.
[AI] 也许我们都是这家伙。
Some people have a blamethrower.
[AI] 有些人有一个罪魁祸首。
They just pass it on to everybody else
[AI] 他们只是把它传给其他人
and don't take responsibility for their actions.
[AI] 不要为他们的行为负责。
and again. hard to listen to somebody who is being like that.
[AI] 一次又一次。很难听一个这样的人说话。
Penultimate. the sixth of the seven.
[AI] 倒数第二的七个中的第六个。
embroidery. exaggeration.
[AI] 绣花夸张
It demeans our language. actually. sometimes.
[AI] 它贬低了我们的语言。事实上有时
For example. if I see something that really is awesome.
[AI] 例如如果我看到了一些非常棒的东西。
what do I call it?
[AI] 我叫它什么?
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And then. of course. this exaggeration becomes lying.
[AI] 然后。当然这种夸张变成了谎言。
and we don't want to listen to people we know are lying to us.
[AI] 我们不想听我们认识的人对我们撒谎。
And finally. dogmatism.
[AI] 最后。教条主义
The confusion of facts with opinions.
[AI] 事实与意见的混淆。
When those two things get conflated.
[AI] 当这两件事混为一谈时。
you're listening into the wind.
[AI] 你在听风。
You know. somebody is bombarding you with their opinions as if they were true.
[AI] 你知道的。有人用他们的观点轰炸你,好像他们是真的。
It's difficult to listen to that.
[AI] 这很难听。
So here they are. seven deadly sins of speaking.
[AI] 他们来了。说话的七宗罪。
These are things I think we need to avoid.
[AI] 这些是我认为我们需要避免的事情。
But is there a positive way to think about this?
[AI] 但是有没有一种积极的方式来思考这个问题呢?
Yes. there is.
[AI] 对有。
I'd like to suggest that there are four really powerful cornerstones. foundations.
[AI] 我想说有四个真正强大的基石。基金会。
that we can stand on if we want our speech
[AI] 如果我们想发表演讲,我们可以坚持下去
to be powerful and to make change in the world.
[AI] 要强大,要改变世界。
Fortunately. these things spell a word.
[AI] 幸运地这些东西拼写一个单词。
The word is "hail." and it has a great definition as well.
[AI] 这个词是“冰雹”它也有一个很好的定义。
I'm not talking about the stuff that falls from the sky
[AI] 我不是说从天上掉下来的东西
and hits you on the head.
[AI] 打你的头。
I'm talking about this definition.
[AI] 我说的是这个定义。
to greet or acclaim enthusiastically.
[AI] 热烈地欢迎热烈地欢迎或欢呼。
which is how I think our words will be received
[AI] 这就是我认为我们的话会被接受的方式
if we stand on these four things.
[AI] 如果我们坚持这四点。
So what do they stand for?
[AI] 那么它们代表什么呢?
See if you can guess.
[AI] 看看你能不能猜到。
The H. honesty. of course.
[AI] H.诚实。当然
being true in what you say. being straight and clear.
[AI] 你说的是真的。直截了当的。
The A is authenticity. just being yourself.
[AI] 最重要的是真实性。只是做你自己。
A friend of mine described it as standing in your own truth.
[AI] 我的一个朋友把它描述为站在你自己的真理上。
which I think is a lovely way to put it.
[AI] 我认为这是一个很好的表达方式。
The I is integrity. being your word.
[AI] 最重要的是正直。说话算数。
actually doing what you say.
[AI] 按你说的做。
and being somebody people can trust.
[AI] 成为人们可以信任的人。
And the L is love.
[AI] 而L就是爱。
I don't mean romantic love.
[AI] 我不是说浪漫的爱情。
but I do mean wishing people well. for two reasons.
[AI] 但我的意思是祝福人们。原因有二。
First of all. I think absolute honesty may not be what we want.
[AI] 首先我认为绝对的诚实可能不是我们想要的。
I mean. my goodness. you look ugly this morning.
[AI] 我是说。天哪你今天早上看起来很丑。
Perhaps that's not necessary.
[AI] 也许没有必要。
Tempered with love. of course. honesty is a great thing.
[AI] 用爱来调和。当然诚实是一件伟大的事情。
But also. if you're really wishing somebody well.
[AI] 而且。如果你真的希望某人好。
it's very hard to judge them at the same time.
[AI] 很难同时评判他们。
I'm not even sure you can do those two things simultaneously.
[AI] 我甚至不确定你能不能同时做这两件事。
So hail.
[AI] 万岁。
Also. now that's what you say.
[AI] 而且你就是这么说的。
and it's like the old song. it is what you say.
[AI] 就像那首老歌。这是你说的。
it's also the way that you say it.
[AI] 这也是你说话的方式。
You have an amazing toolbox.
[AI] 你有一个很棒的工具箱。
This instrument is incredible.
[AI] 这台仪器令人难以置信。
and yet this is a toolbox that very few people have ever opened.
[AI] 然而,这是一个很少有人打开过的工具箱。
I'd like to have a little rummage in there with you now
[AI] 我现在想和你一起在那里翻找一下
and just pull a few tools out
[AI] 然后拿出一些工具
that you might like to take away and play with.
[AI] 你可能想带走和玩。
which will increase the power of your speaking.
[AI] 这会提高你说话的能力。
Register. for example.
[AI] 登记例如
Now. falsetto register may not be very useful most of the time.
[AI] 现在假声寄存器在大多数情况下可能不是很有用。
but there's a register in between.
[AI] 但中间有一个寄存器。
I'm not going to get very technical about this
[AI] 关于这件事,我不会太专业
for any of you who are voice coaches.
[AI] 对于任何一位语音教练。
You can locate your voice. however.
[AI] 你可以找到你的声音。然而
So if I talk up here in my nose. you can hear the difference.
[AI] 如果我在这里用鼻子说话。你可以听到区别。
If I go down here in my throat.
[AI] 如果我从喉咙里下去。
which is where most of us speak from most of the time.
[AI] 这是我们大多数人大部分时间都在说的话。
But if you want weight.
[AI] 但是如果你想要体重。
you need to go down here to the chest.
[AI] 你需要从这里到胸部。
You hear the difference?
[AI] 你听到区别了吗?
We vote for politicians with lower voices. it's true.
[AI] 我们投票给声音较低的政客。这是真的。
because we associate depth with power
[AI] 因为我们把深度和力量联系在一起
and with authority.
[AI] 而且有权威。
That's register.
[AI] 那是登记簿。
Then we have timbre.
[AI] 然后我们有了音色。
It's the way your voice feels.
[AI] 这是你声音的感觉。
Again. the research shows
[AI] 再一次研究表明
that we prefer voices which are rich. smooth. warm. like hot chocolate.
[AI] 我们更喜欢富有的声音。平整的温暖的我喜欢热巧克力。
Well if that's not you. that's not the end of the world.
[AI] 如果不是你。那不是世界末日。
because you can train.
[AI] 因为你可以训练。
Go and get a voice coach.
[AI] 去找语音教练。
And there are amazing things you can do
[AI] 你可以做很多令人惊奇的事情
with breathing. with posture. and with exercises
[AI] 有呼吸。用姿势。还有运动
to improve the timbre of your voice.
[AI] 来改善你的音色。
Then prosody. I love prosody.
[AI] 然后是韵律。我喜欢韵律。
This is the sing-song. the meta-language
[AI] 这是我要唱的歌。元语言
that we use in order to impart meaning.
[AI] 我们用来传递意义的。
It's root one for meaning in conversation.
[AI] 这是对话意义的根源之一。
People who speak all on one note are really quite hard to listen to
[AI] 用一个音符说话的人真的很难听
if they don't have any prosody at all.
[AI] 如果他们一点韵律都没有。
That's where the word "monotonic" comes from.
[AI] 这就是“单调”一词的由来。
or monotonous. monotone.
[AI] 或者单调。单调。
Also. we have repetitive prosody now coming in.
[AI] 而且我们现在有重复的韵律。
where every sentence ends as if it were a question
[AI] 每句话的结尾都像是一个问题
when it's actually not a question. it's a statement?
[AI] 其实这不是一个问题。这是一份声明?
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And if you repeat that one.
[AI] 如果你再重复一遍。
it's actually restricting your ability to communicate through prosody.
[AI] 这实际上限制了你通过韵律进行交流的能力。
which I think is a shame.
[AI] 我认为这是一种耻辱。
so let's try and break that habit.
[AI] 所以,让我们试着打破这个习惯。
Pace. I can get very excited by saying something really quickly.
[AI] 速度我可以很快地说一些话,让我很兴奋。
or I can slow right down to emphasize.
[AI] 或者我可以放慢速度来强调。
and at the end of that. of course. is our old friend silence.
[AI] 最后。当然是我们的老朋友沉默。
There's nothing wrong with a bit of silence in a talk. is there?
[AI] 在谈话中保持沉默没有什么错。有?
We don't have to fill it with ums and ahs.
[AI] 我们不必把它装满UM和ahs。
It can be very powerful.
[AI] 它可能非常强大。
Of course. pitch often goes along with pace
[AI] 当然音高通常与节奏同步
to indicate arousal. but you can do it just with pitch.
[AI] 表示唤起。但你可以用音高来做到。
Where did you leave my keys?
[AI] 你把我的钥匙放在哪里了?
(Higher pitch) Where did you leave my keys?
[AI] (高音)你把我的钥匙放在哪里了?
So. slightly different meaning in those two deliveries.
[AI] 所以这两次交付的含义略有不同。
And finally. volume.
[AI] 最后。体积
(Loud) I can get really excited by using volume.
[AI] (大声)使用音量可以让我非常兴奋。
Sorry about that. if I startled anybody.
[AI] 很抱歉。如果我吓到任何人。
Or. I can have you really pay attention by getting very quiet.
[AI] 或我可以让你安静下来,好好注意。
Some people broadcast the whole time.
[AI] 有些人一直在广播。
Try not to do that.
[AI] 尽量不要那样做。
That's called sodcasting. (Laughter)
[AI] 这就是所谓的撒播。(众笑)
Imposing your sound on people around you carelessly and inconsiderately. Not nice.
[AI] 漫不经心地把你的声音强加给你周围的人。不太好。
Of course. where this all comes into play most of all
[AI] 当然最重要的是,这一切在哪里发挥作用
is when you've got something really important to do.
[AI] 当你有重要的事情要做的时候。
It might be standing on a stage like this and giving a talk to people.
[AI] 可能是站在这样一个舞台上,向人们发表演讲。
It might be proposing marriage.
[AI] 可能是求婚。
asking for a raise. a wedding speech.
[AI] 要求加薪。婚礼演说。
Whatever it is. if it's really important.
[AI] 不管是什么。如果真的很重要的话。
you owe it to yourself to look at this toolbox
[AI] 你应该看看这个工具箱
and the engine that it's going to work on.
[AI] 以及它将要工作的引擎。
and no engine works well without being warmed up.
[AI] 没有发动机不预热就不能正常工作。
Warm up your voice.
[AI] 让你的声音暖和点。
Actually. let me show you how to do that.
[AI] 事实上让我告诉你怎么做。
Would you all like to stand up for a moment?
[AI] 你们都想站起来一会儿吗?
I'm going to show you
[AI] 我要给你看
the six vocal warm-up exercises that I do before every talk I ever do.
[AI] 我在每次演讲前做的六个声乐热身练习。
Any time you're going to talk to anybody important. do these.
[AI] 任何时候你都可以和任何重要的人谈话。做这些。
First. arms up. deep breath in.
[AI] 第一举起手来。深呼吸。
and sigh out. ahhhhh. like that.
[AI] 然后叹口气。啊。像那样。
One more time.
[AI] 再来一次。
Ahhhh. very good.
[AI] 啊。很好。
Now we're going to warm up our lips.
[AI] 现在我们要热身了。
and we're going to go Ba. Ba. Ba. Ba.
[AI] 我们要去英航。文学士。文学士。文学士。
Ba. Ba. Ba. Ba. Very good.
[AI] 文学士。文学士。文学士。文学士。很好。
And now. brrrrrrrrrr.
[AI] 现在。brrrrrrrrrr。
just like when you were a kid.
[AI] 就像你小时候一样。
Brrrr. Now your lips should be coming alive.
[AI] Brrrr。现在你的嘴唇应该活跃起来了。
We're going to do the tongue next
[AI] 下一步我们要做舌头
with exaggerated la. la. la. la. la. la. la. la. la.
[AI] 夸张的洛杉矶。洛杉矶。洛杉矶。洛杉矶。洛杉矶。洛杉矶。洛杉矶。洛杉矶。洛杉矶。
Beautiful. You're getting really good at this.
[AI] 美丽的你越来越擅长这个了。
And then. roll an R. Rrrrrrr.
[AI] 然后。滚一个R。Rrrrrrr。
That's like champagne for the tongue.
[AI] 那就像是舌头上的香槟。
Finally. and if I can only do one.
[AI] 最后如果我只能做一个。
the pros call this the siren.
[AI] 专业人士称之为警笛。
It's really good. It starts with "we" and goes to "aw."
[AI] 真的很好。它以“我们”开头,然后转到“啊”
The "we" is high. the "aw" is low.
[AI] “我们”很高。“aw”很低。
So you go. weeeaawww. weeeaawww.
[AI] 那你走吧。Weeeaaww。Weeeaaww。
Fantastic. Give yourselves a round of applause.
[AI] 好极了给自己热烈的掌声。
Take a seat. thank you. (Applause)
[AI] 坐下非常感谢。(掌声)
Next time you speak. do those in advance.
[AI] 下次你说话的时候。提前做这些。
Now let me just put this in context to close.
[AI] 现在让我把它放在上下文中来结束。
This is a serious point here.
[AI] 这是一个严重的问题。
This is where we are now. right?
[AI] 这就是我们现在的处境。正当
We speak not very well
[AI] 我们说得不太好
to people who simply aren't listening
[AI] 给那些根本不听的人
in an environment that's all about noise and bad acoustics.
[AI] 在一个充满噪音和糟糕音响的环境中。
I have talked about that on this stage in different phases.
[AI] 我已经在这个阶段的不同阶段谈到了这一点。
What would the world be like
[AI] 世界会是什么样子
if we were speaking powerfully
[AI] 如果我们说话有力
to people who were listening consciously
[AI] 给那些有意识地倾听的人
in environments which were actually fit for purpose?
[AI] 在实际适合用途的环境中?
Or to make that a bit larger.
[AI] 或者把它放大一点。
what would the world be like
[AI] 世界会是什么样子
if we were creating sound consciously
[AI] 如果我们有意识地创造声音
and consuming sound consciously
[AI] 有意识地消费声音
and designing all our environments
[AI] 设计我们所有的环境
consciously for sound?
[AI] 为了声音?
That would be a world that does sound beautiful.
[AI] 那将是一个听起来确实很美的世界。
and one where understanding would be the norm.
[AI] 在这里,理解将成为标准。
and that is an idea worth spreading.
[AI] 这是一个值得传播的想法。
Thank you. (Applause)
[AI] 非常感谢。(掌声)