声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
As a kid I always loved information
[AI] 作为一个孩子,我一直喜欢信息
that I could get from data
[AI] 我可以从数据中得到
and the stories that could be told with numbers.
[AI] 还有那些可以用数字讲述的故事。
I remember. growing up. I'd be frustrated at
[AI] 我记得。成长。我会对你失望的
how my own parents would lie to me using numbers.
[AI] 我自己的父母怎么会用数字对我撒谎。
"Talithia. if I've told you once I've told you a thousand times."
[AI] “塔利西亚,如果我告诉你一次,我就告诉你一千次。”
No dad. you've only told me 17 times
[AI] 没有,爸爸。你只告诉我17次
and twice it wasn't my fault. (Laughter)
[AI] 两次都不是我的错。(众笑)
I think that is one of the reasons I got a Ph.D. in statistics.
[AI] 我想这是我获得统计学博士学位的原因之一。
I always wanted to know.
[AI] 我一直想知道。
what are people trying to hide with numbers?
[AI] 人们试图用数字隐藏什么?
As a statistician.
[AI] 作为一名统计学家。
I want people to show me the data
[AI] 我希望人们给我看数据
so I can decide for myself.
[AI] 所以我可以自己决定。
Donald and I were pregnant with our third child
[AI] 唐纳德和我怀上了我们的第三个孩子
and we were at about 41 and a half weeks.
[AI] 我们那时大约41个半星期。
what some of you may refer to as being overdue.
[AI] 你们中的一些人可能会称之为逾期。
Statisticians. we call that
[AI] 统计学家。我们称之为
being within the 95 percent confidence interval.
[AI] 在95%的置信区间内。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And at this point in the process
[AI] 在这个过程中
we had to come in every couple of days
[AI] 我们每隔几天就得来
to do a stress test on the baby.
[AI] 给婴儿做压力测试。
and this is just routine.
[AI] 这只是例行公事。
it tests whether or not the baby is feeling any type of undue stress.
[AI] 它测试婴儿是否感觉到任何类型的过度压力。
And you are rarely. if ever. seen by your actual doctor.
[AI] 而你很少这样做。如果有的话。看你的医生。
just whoever happens to be working at the hospital that day.
[AI] 只是那天在医院工作的人。
So we go in for a stress test and after 20 minutes
[AI] 所以我们进行了一次压力测试,20分钟后
the doctor comes out and he says.
[AI] 医生出来说。
"Your baby is under stress. we need to induce you."
[AI] “你的孩子有压力。我们需要诱导你。”
Now. as a statistician. what's my response?
[AI] 现在作为一名统计学家。我的回答是什么?
Show me the data!
[AI] 给我看看数据!
So then he proceeds to tell us
[AI] 然后他继续告诉我们
the baby's heart rate trace went from 18 minutes.
[AI] 婴儿的心率从18分钟开始。
the baby's heart rate was in the normal zone
[AI] 婴儿的心率在正常范围内
and for two minutes it was in what appeared to be
[AI] 在两分钟内,它似乎是在
my heart rate zone and I said.
[AI] 我的心率区和我说。
"Is it possible that maybe this was my heart rate?
[AI] “这可能是我的心率吗?
I was moving around a little bit.
[AI] 我在四处走动。
it's hard to lay still on your back.
[AI] 你很难躺着不动。
41 weeks pregnant for 20 minutes.
[AI] 怀孕41周20分钟。
Maybe it was shifting around."
[AI] 也许它在移动。"
He said. "Well. we don't want to take any chances."
[AI] 他说。“嗯,我们不想冒险。”
I said okay.
[AI] 我说可以。
I said. "What if I was at 36 weeks
[AI] 我说。“如果我已经36周了呢
with this same data?
[AI] 用同样的数据?
Would your decision be to induce?"
[AI] 你的决定是诱导吗?"
"Well. no. I would wait until you were at least
[AI] “嗯,不,我至少要等到你
38 weeks. but you are almost 42.
[AI] 38周。但你快42岁了。
there is no reason to leave that baby inside.
[AI] 没有理由把孩子留在里面。
let's get you a room."
[AI] 我们给你弄个房间吧。"
I said. "Well. why don't we just do it again?
[AI] 我说。“好吧,我们何不再来一次呢?
We can collect more data.
[AI] 我们可以收集更多的数据。
I can try to be really still for 20 minutes.
[AI] 我可以试着安静20分钟。
We can average the two and see
[AI] 我们可以将两者平均起来,看看结果
what that means. (Laughter)
[AI] 这意味着什么。(众笑)
And he goes.
[AI] 他走了。
"Ma'am. I just don't want you to have a miscarriage."
[AI] “夫人,我只是不想让你流产。”
That makes three of us.
[AI] 那就是我们三个人。
And then he says.
[AI] 然后他说。
"Your chances of having a miscarriage double
[AI] “你流产的几率加倍
when you go past your due date. Let's get you a room."
[AI] 当你过了到期日。我们给你弄个房间吧。"
Wow. So now as a statistician. what's my response?
[AI] 哇!所以现在作为一名统计学家。我的回答是什么?
Show me the data!
[AI] 给我看看数据!
Dude. you're talking chances.
[AI] 伙计。你说的是机会。
I do chances all day long. tell me all about chances.
[AI] 我整天都在寻找机会。告诉我所有的机会。
Let's talk chances. (Laughter)
[AI] 让我们谈谈机会。(众笑)
Let's talk chances.
[AI] 让我们谈谈机会。
So I say. "Okay. great.
[AI] 所以我说。“好的,太好了。
Do I go from a 30-percent chance to a 60-percent chance?
[AI] 我有没有从30%的机会变成60%的机会?
Where are we here with this miscarriage thing?
[AI] 我们在哪里处理流产的事?
And he goes. "Not quite. but it doubles.
[AI] 他走了。“不完全是,但它是双倍的。
and we really just want what's best for the baby."
[AI] 我们真的只想要对孩子最好的。"
Undaunted. I try a different angle.
[AI] 未被吓倒的我试着换一个角度。
I said. "Okay. out of 1.000 full-term pregnant women.
[AI] 我说。“好吧,在1000名足月孕妇中。
how many of them are going to miscarry
[AI] 他们中有多少人要流产
just before their due date?
[AI] 就在他们的到期日之前?
And then he looks at me and looks at Donald.
[AI] 然后他看着我,看着唐纳德。
and he goes. about one in 1.000.
[AI] 他走了。大约千分之一。
I said. "Okay. so of those 1.000 women. how many
[AI] 我说。“好吧,那1000个女人中有多少
are going to miscarry just after their due date?"
[AI] 就在他们到期后就要流产了吗?"
"About two." (Laughter)
[AI] “大约两个。”(众笑)
I said. "Okay. so you are telling me that my chances
[AI] 我说。“好吧,你是说我的机会
go from a 0.1-percent chance
[AI] 从0.1%的概率开始
to a 0.2-percent chance."
[AI] 只有0.2%的几率。"
Okay. so at this point the data is not convincing us
[AI] 可以所以在这一点上,数据并不能让我们信服
that we need to be induced.
[AI] 我们需要被诱导。
and so then we proceed to have a conversation
[AI] 然后我们开始对话
about how inductions lead to a higher rate
[AI] 关于诱导如何导致更高的比率
of Cesarean sections. and if at all possible we'd like to avoid that.
[AI] 剖宫产术的并发症。如果可能的话,我们希望避免这种情况。
And then I said.
[AI] 然后我说。
"And I really don't think my due date is accurate."
[AI] “我真的认为我的预产期不准确。”
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And so this really stunned him
[AI] 所以这真的让他大吃一惊
and he looked sort of puzzled
[AI] 他看起来有点困惑
and I said. "You may not know this.
[AI] 我说。“你可能不知道。
but pregnancy due dates are calculated
[AI] 但怀孕日期是经过计算的
assuming that you have a standard 28-day cycle.
[AI] 假设您有一个标准的28天周期。
and my cycle ranges —
[AI] 还有我的自行车里程-
sometimes it's 27. sometimes it's up to 38 —
[AI] 有时是27。有时高达38-
and I have been collecting the data to prove it.
[AI] 我一直在收集数据来证明这一点。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And so we ended up leaving the hospital that day without being induced.
[AI] 所以那天我们没有被诱导就离开了医院。
We actually had to sign a waiver to walk out of the hospital.
[AI] 事实上,我们必须签署一份弃权书才能出院。
And I'm not advocating that you not listen to your doctors.
[AI] 我并不是要你不听医生的话。
because even with our first child.
[AI] 因为即使是我们的第一个孩子。
we were induced at 38 weeks; cervical fluid was low.
[AI] 38周时诱导;宫颈液低。
I'm not anti-medical intervention.
[AI] 我不是反对医疗干预。
But why were confident to leave that day?
[AI] 但为什么我们有信心在那天离开呢?
Well. we had data that told a different story.
[AI] 好我们有数据告诉我们一个不同的故事。
We had been collecting data for six years.
[AI] 我们收集数据已经六年了。
I had this temperature data.
[AI] 我有这个温度数据。
and it told a different story.
[AI] 它讲述了一个不同的故事。
In fact. we could probably pretty accurately estimate conception.
[AI] 事实上我们大概可以相当准确地估计出这个概念。
Yeah. that's a story you want to tell
[AI] 是 啊这是你想讲的故事
at your kid's wedding reception. (Laughter)
[AI] 在你孩子的婚宴上。(众笑)
I remember like it was yesterday.
[AI] 我记得就像昨天一样。
My temperature was a sizzling 97.8 degrees
[AI] 我的体温是华氏97.8度
as I stared into your father's eyes. (Laughter)
[AI] 当我凝视着你父亲的眼睛。(众笑)
Oh. yeah. Twenty-two more years. we're telling that story.
[AI] 哦是 啊二十二年了。我们正在讲那个故事。
But we were confident to leave because we had been collecting data.
[AI] 但我们有信心离开,因为我们一直在收集数据。
Now. what does that data look like?
[AI] 现在这些数据看起来像什么?
Here's a standard chart
[AI] 这是一张标准图表
of a woman's waking body temperature
[AI] 一个女人醒着时的体温
during the course of a cycle.
[AI] 在循环过程中。
So from the beginning of the menstrual cycle
[AI] 所以从月经周期开始
till the beginning of the next.
[AI] 直到下个月初。
You'll see that the temperature is not random.
[AI] 你会发现温度不是随机的。
Clearly there is a low pattern
[AI] 显然,这是一个低模式
at the beginning of her cycle
[AI] 在她的周期开始时
and then you see this jump and then a higher
[AI] 然后你看到这个跳跃,然后是一个更高的跳跃
set of temperatures at the end of her cycle.
[AI] 循环结束时的一组温度。
So what's happening here?
[AI] 那么这里发生了什么?
What is that data telling you?
[AI] 这些数据告诉你什么?
Well. ladies. at the beginning of our cycle.
[AI] 好女士。在我们周期的开始。
the hormone estrogen is dominant and that estrogen
[AI] 雌激素占主导地位,而雌激素
causes a suppression of your body temperature.
[AI] 会抑制你的体温。
And at ovulation. your body releases an egg
[AI] 在排卵期。你的身体会释放一个卵子
and progesterone takes over. pro-gestation.
[AI] 黄体酮起作用。亲妊娠。
And so your body heats up in anticipation
[AI] 所以你的身体在期待中升温
of housing this new little fertilized egg.
[AI] 用来装下这个新的受精卵。
So why this temperature jump?
[AI] 那么,为什么温度会上升呢?
Well. think about when a bird sits on her eggs.
[AI] 好想想当一只鸟坐在她的蛋上。
Why is she sitting on them?
[AI] 她为什么坐在上面?
She wants to keep them warm.
[AI] 她想让它们保暖。
protect them and keep them warm.
[AI] 保护它们,让它们保持温暖。
Ladies. this is exactly what our bodies do every month.
[AI] 女士。这正是我们身体每个月所做的。
they heat up in anticipation
[AI] 他们在期待中升温
of keeping a new little life warm.
[AI] 保持新的生活温暖。
And if nothing happens. if you are not pregnant.
[AI] 如果什么都没发生。如果你没有怀孕。
then estrogen takes back over and that cycle starts all over again.
[AI] 然后雌激素又回来了,这个周期又重新开始了。
But if you do get pregnant. sometimes you
[AI] 但是如果你真的怀孕了。有时候你
actually see another shift in your temperatures
[AI] 事实上,你的体温会发生另一个变化
and it stays elevated for those whole nine months.
[AI] 在整整九个月里,它一直保持高位。
That's why you see those pregnant women just sweating and hot.
[AI] 这就是为什么你看到那些孕妇只是出汗和热。
because their temperatures are high.
[AI] 因为它们的温度很高。
Here's a chart that we had about three or four years ago.
[AI] 这是一张三、四年前的图表。
We were really very excited about this chart.
[AI] 我们对这张图表非常兴奋。
You'll see the low temperature level
[AI] 你会看到低温水平
and then a shift and for about five days.
[AI] 然后轮班,大约五天。
that's about the time it takes for the egg to travel
[AI] 这大约是鸡蛋旅行所需的时间
down the fallopian tube and implant.
[AI] 顺着输卵管植入。
and then you see those temperatures start to go up a little bit.
[AI] 然后你会看到温度开始上升。
And in fact. we had a second temperature shift.
[AI] 事实上。我们经历了第二次温度变化。
confirmed with a pregnancy test that were indeed pregnant
[AI] 通过怀孕测试确认确实怀孕了
with our first child. very exciting.
[AI] 和我们的第一个孩子。非常激动人心。
Until a couple of days later
[AI] 直到几天后
I saw some spotting and then I noticed heavy blood flow.
[AI] 我看到一些斑点,然后我注意到大量的血液流动。
and we had in fact had an early stage miscarriage.
[AI] 事实上,我们有过早期流产。
Had I not been taking my temperature
[AI] 我不是在量体温吗
I really would have just thought my period was late that month.
[AI] 我真的以为我的月经在那个月晚些时候。
but we actually had data to show
[AI] 但我们确实有数据要显示
that we had miscarried this baby.
[AI] 我们流产了这个孩子。
and even though this data revealed a really
[AI] 尽管这些数据揭示了
unfortunate event in our lives.
[AI] 我们生活中的不幸事件。
it was information that we could then take to our doctor.
[AI] 这是我们可以带去看医生的信息。
So if there was a fertility issue or some problem.
[AI] 因此,如果有生育问题或某些问题。
I had data to show:
[AI] 我有数据显示:
Look. we got pregnant. our temperature shifted.
[AI] 看我们怀孕了。我们的体温发生了变化。
we somehow lost this baby.
[AI] 我们不知怎么失去了这个孩子。
What is it that we can do to help prevent this problem?
[AI] 我们能做些什么来帮助预防这个问题?
And it's not just about temperatures
[AI] 这不仅仅是温度的问题
and it's not just about fertility;
[AI] 这不仅仅是生育能力的问题;
we can use data about our bodies to tell us a lot of things.
[AI] 我们可以利用我们身体的数据告诉我们很多事情。
For instance. did you know that taking your temperature can tell you a lot
[AI] 例如。你知道吗,量体温可以告诉你很多事情
about the condition of your thyroid?
[AI] 你的甲状腺状况如何?
So. your thyroid works a lot like the thermostat in your house.
[AI] 所以你的甲状腺功能很像你家里的恒温器。
There is an optimal temperature that you want in your house;
[AI] 在你的房子里有一个你想要的最佳温度;
you set your thermostat.
[AI] 你把恒温器调好。
When it gets too cold in the house. your thermostat kicks in
[AI] 当屋里太冷的时候。你的恒温器启动了
and says. "Hey. we need to blow some heat around."
[AI] 然后说。“嘿,我们需要吹点热气。”
Or if it gets too hot. your thermostat
[AI] 或者如果天气太热。你的恒温器
registers. "Turn the A.C. on. Cool us off."
[AI] 登记册。“打开空调,让我们冷静下来。”
That's exactly how your thyroid works in your body.
[AI] 这正是甲状腺在体内的工作方式。
Your thyroid tries to keep an optimal temperature
[AI] 你的甲状腺试图保持最佳温度
for your body.
[AI] 为了你的身体。
If it gets too cold. your thyroid says. "Hey. we need to heat up."
[AI] 如果天气太冷。你的甲状腺说。“嘿,我们需要热身。”
If it gets too hot. your thyroid cools you down.
[AI] 如果天气太热。你的甲状腺让你冷静下来。
But what happens when your thyroid is not functioning well?
[AI] 但是当你的甲状腺功能不正常时会发生什么呢?
When it doesn't function. then it shows up
[AI] 当它不起作用时。然后它出现了
in your body temperatures.
[AI] 在你的体温。
they tend to be lower than normal or very erratic.
[AI] 它们往往低于正常值或非常不稳定。
And so by collecting this data
[AI] 所以通过收集这些数据
you can find out information about your thyroid.
[AI] 你可以找到关于你的甲状腺的信息。
Now. what is it. if you had a thyroid problem and you went to the doctor.
[AI] 现在它是什么。如果你有甲状腺问题,你去看医生。
your doctor would actually test the amount of
[AI] 你的医生实际上会测试这些药物的量
thyroid stimulating hormone in your blood.
[AI] 血液中的促甲状腺激素。
Fine. But the problem with that test is
[AI] 好的但是这个测试的问题是
it doesn't tell you how active the hormone is in your body.
[AI] 它不会告诉你体内的荷尔蒙有多活跃。
So you might have a lot of hormone present.
[AI] 所以你可能有很多荷尔蒙。
but it might not be actively working to regulate
[AI] 但它可能不会积极地进行监管
your body temperature.
[AI] 你的体温。
So just by collecting your temperature every day.
[AI] 所以只要每天采集体温就可以了。
you get information about the condition of your thyroid.
[AI] 你可以得到甲状腺状况的信息。
So. what if you don't want to take your temperature every day?
[AI] 所以如果你不想每天量体温怎么办?
I advocate that you do.
[AI] 我主张你这样做。
but there are tons of other things you could take.
[AI] 但是还有很多其他的东西你可以拿。
You could take your blood pressure. you could take your weight —
[AI] 你可以量血压。你可以减肥-
yeah. who's excited about
[AI] 是 啊谁对这件事感到兴奋
taking their weight every day? (Laughter)
[AI] 每天减肥?(众笑)
Early on in our marriage. Donald had a stuffy nose
[AI] 在我们婚姻的早期。唐纳德鼻子不通
and he had been taking a slew of medications
[AI] 他一直在服用大量药物
to try to relieve his stuffy nose. to no avail.
[AI] 试图缓解他鼻塞的症状。无济于事。
And so. that night he comes and he wakes me up and he says.
[AI] 等等。那天晚上他来了,把我叫醒,然后说。
"Honey. I can't breath out of my nose."
[AI] “亲爱的,我的鼻子喘不过气来。”
And I roll over and I look. and I said. "Well. can you breath out of your mouth?"
[AI] 我翻了个身,看了看。我说。“嗯,你能用嘴呼吸吗?”
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And he goes. "Yes. but I can't breath out of my nose!"
[AI] 他走了。“是的,但是我不能从鼻子里呼气!”
And so like any good wife. I rush him
[AI] 就像任何好妻子一样。我催他
to the emergency room
[AI] 去急诊室
at 2 o'clock in the morning.
[AI] 凌晨两点。
And the whole time I'm driving and I'm thinking.
[AI] 我一直在开车和思考。
you can't die on me now.
[AI] 你现在不能死在我身上。
We just got married.
[AI] 我们刚结婚。
people will think I killed you! (Laughter)
[AI] 人们会认为我杀了你!(众笑)
And so. we get to the emergency room. and the nurse sees us.
[AI] 等等。我们到了急诊室。护士看到了我们。
and he can't breath out of his nose. and so
[AI] 他不能从鼻子里呼气。诸如此类
she brings us to the back and the doctor says.
[AI] 她把我们带到后面,医生说。
"What seems to be the problem?" and he goes. "I can't breath out of my nose."
[AI] “有什么问题吗?”他走了。“我的鼻子喘不过气来。”
And he said. "You can't breath out of your nose?
[AI] 他说。“你不能用鼻子呼吸吗?
No. but he can breath out of his mouth. (Laughter)
[AI] 不,但他可以用嘴呼吸。(众笑)
He takes a step back and he looks at both of us
[AI] 他后退一步,看着我们俩
and he says "Sir. I think I know the problem.
[AI] 他说:“先生,我想我知道问题所在。
You're having a heart attack.
[AI] 你心脏病发作了。
I'm going to order an EKG and a CAT scan
[AI] 我要做心电图和CAT扫描
for you immediately."
[AI] 马上给你。"
And we are thinking.
[AI] 我们正在思考。
no. no. no. It's not a heart attack. He can breathe.
[AI] 不,不,不,不是心脏病发作。他能呼吸。
just out of his mouth. No. no. no. no. no.
[AI] 刚从他嘴里说出来。不,不,不,不,不。
And so we go back and forth with this doctor
[AI] 所以我们和这位医生来回交谈
because we think this is the incorrect diagnosis.
[AI] 因为我们认为这是错误的诊断。
and he's like. "No really. it'll be fine. just calm down."
[AI] 他就像。“不,真的。没事的。冷静点。”
And I'm thinking. how do you calm down? But I don't think he's having a heart attack.
[AI] 我在想。你怎么冷静下来?但我认为他没有心脏病发作。
And so fortunately for us. this doctor was at the end of the shift.
[AI] 我们很幸运。这位医生在轮班结束时。
So this new doctor comes in. he sees us clearly
[AI] 所以这位新医生来了。他看得很清楚
distraught. with a husband who can't breath
[AI] 心烦意乱的和一个不能呼吸的丈夫在一起
out of his nose. (Laughter)
[AI] 从他鼻子里出来。(众笑)
And he starts asking us questions.
[AI] 他开始问我们问题。
He says. "Well. do you two exercise?"
[AI] 他说。“嗯,你们两个锻炼身体吗?”
We ride our bikes. we go to the gym occasionally.
[AI] 我们骑自行车。我们偶尔去健身房。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
We move around.
[AI] 我们四处走动。
And he says. "What were you doing just before you came here?"
[AI] 他说。“你来这儿之前在干什么?”
I'm thinking. I was sleeping. honestly.
[AI] 我在想。我在睡觉。真的
But okay. what was Donald doing just before?
[AI] 但是好吧。唐纳德刚才在干什么?
So Donald goes into this slew of medications he was taking.
[AI] 所以唐纳德开始服用一系列药物。
He lists. "I took this decongestant and then I took this nasal spray."
[AI] 他列出了一份清单。“我服用了这种减充血剂,然后服用了这种鼻喷雾剂。”
and then all of a sudden a lightbulb goes off and he says.
[AI] 然后突然一个灯泡熄灭了,他说。
"Oh! You should never mix this decongestant with this nasal spray.
[AI] “哦!你不应该把这种减充血剂和这种鼻喷雾剂混在一起。
Clogs you up every time. Here. take this one instead."
[AI] 每次都会把你堵上。在这里就拿这个吧。"
He gives us a prescription.
[AI] 他给我们开了处方。
We're looking at each other. and I looked at the doctor.
[AI] 我们互相看着对方。我看了看医生。
and I said. "Why is it that it seems like you
[AI] 我说。“为什么看起来像你
were able to accurately diagnose his condition.
[AI] 我们能够准确地诊断出他的病情。
but this previous doctor wanted to order
[AI] 但是这位以前的医生想点菜
an EKG and a CAT scan?"
[AI] 心电图和CAT扫描?"
And he looks at us and says.
[AI] 他看着我们说。
"Well. when a 350-pound man walks in the emergency room and says he can't breath.
[AI] “嗯,当一个350磅重的男人走进急诊室说他不能呼吸时。
you assume he's having a heart attack
[AI] 你认为他心脏病发作了
and you ask questions later."
[AI] 然后你再问问题。"
Now. emergency room doctors are trained to make decisions quickly.
[AI] 现在急诊室的医生接受过快速做出决定的培训。
but not always accurately.
[AI] 但并不总是准确的。
And so had we had some information
[AI] 我们也得到了一些信息
about our heart health to share with him.
[AI] 关于我们的心脏健康,请与他分享。
maybe we would have gotten a better diagnosis the first time.
[AI] 也许我们第一次就能得到更好的诊断。
I want you to consider the following chart.
[AI] 我想让你考虑一下下面的图表。
of systolic blood pressure measurements
[AI] 收缩压测量的应用
from October 2010 to July 2012.
[AI] 2010年10月至2012年7月。
You'll see that these measurements start
[AI] 您将看到这些测量开始
in the prehypertension/hypertension zone.
[AI] 在高血压前期/高血压区。
but over about the course of a year and a half
[AI] 但在一年半的时间里
they move into the normal zone.
[AI] 它们进入正常区域。
This is about the heart rate of a healthy 16-year-old.
[AI] 这是一个16岁健康孩子的心率。
What story is this data telling you?
[AI] 这些数据告诉了你什么故事?
Obviously it's the data from someone
[AI] 显然,这是某人提供的数据
who's made a drastic transformation.
[AI] 他做出了巨大的转变。
and fortunately for us. that person happens to be here today.
[AI] 我们很幸运。那个人今天正好在这里。
So that 350-pound guy that walked into the emergency room with me
[AI] 那个和我一起走进急诊室的350磅的家伙
is now an even sexier and healthier
[AI] 现在是一个更性感、更健康的世界
225-pound guy. and that's his blood pressure trace.
[AI] 225磅的家伙。这是他的血压记录。
So over the course of that year and a half
[AI] 所以在那一年半的时间里
Donald's eating changed
[AI] 唐纳德的饮食改变了
and our exercise regimen changed.
[AI] 我们的锻炼方式也改变了。
and his heart rate responded.
[AI] 他的心率也有反应。
his blood pressure responded to that change
[AI] 他的血压对这种变化有反应
that he made in his body.
[AI] 他在身体里做的。
So what's the take-home message
[AI] 那么,带回家的信息是什么
that I want you to leave with today?
[AI] 我想让你今天离开?
By taking ownership of your data just like we've done.
[AI] 通过像我们一样拥有您的数据。
just by taking this daily measurements about yourself.
[AI] 只要每天测量一下你自己。
you become the expert on your body.
[AI] 你成为你身体的专家。
You become the authority.
[AI] 你成为权威。
It's not hard to do.
[AI] 这不难做到。
You don't have to have a Ph.D. in statistics
[AI] 你不必拥有统计学博士学位
to be an expert in yourself.
[AI] 成为自己的专家。
You don't have to have a medical degree
[AI] 你不必有医学学位
to be your body's expert.
[AI] 成为你身体的专家。
Medical doctors. they're experts on the population.
[AI] 医生。他们是人口方面的专家。
but you are the expert on yourself.
[AI] 但你是自己的专家。
And so when two of you come together.
[AI] 所以当你们两个走到一起的时候。
when two experts come together.
[AI] 当两位专家走到一起。
the two of you are able to make a better decision
[AI] 你们两个可以做出更好的决定
than just your doctor alone.
[AI] 不仅仅是你的医生。
Now that you understand the power of information
[AI] 现在你明白了信息的力量
that you can get through personal data collection.
[AI] 您可以通过个人数据收集获得。
I'd like you all to stand and raise your right hand.
[AI] 我希望你们都站起来,举起右手。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Yes. get it up.
[AI] 对起来。
I challenge you to take ownership of your data.
[AI] 我要求您拥有您的数据。
And today. I hereby confer upon you
[AI] 今天。我特此授予你
a TEDx associate's degree in elementary statistics
[AI] TEDx初级统计副学士学位
with a concentration in time-dependent data analysis
[AI] 专注于时间相关数据分析
with all the rights and privileges appertaining thereto.
[AI] 享有与此相关的所有权利和特权。
And so the next time you are in your doctor's office.
[AI] 所以下次你在医生办公室的时候。
as newly inducted statisticians.
[AI] 作为新入职的统计学家。
what should always be your response?
[AI] 你的回答应该是什么?
Audience: Show me the data! Talithia Williams: I can't hear you!
[AI] 观众:给我看数据!塔莉西亚·威廉姆斯:我听不见!
Audience: Show me the data!
[AI] 观众:给我看数据!
TW: One more time!
[AI] TW:再来一次!
Audience: Show me the data!
[AI] 观众:给我看数据!
TW: Show me the data.
[AI] TW:给我看看数据。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)