声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
I'm a writer-director who tells social-change stories.
[AI] 我是一名作家兼导演,讲述社会变革的故事。
because I believe stories touch and move us.
[AI] 因为我相信故事会感动我们。
Stories humanize and teach us to empathize.
[AI] 故事使我们变得人性化,教会我们去感同身受。
Stories change us.
[AI] 故事改变了我们。
When I write and direct plays.
[AI] 当我写剧本和导演剧本的时候。
I'm amplifying voices of disadvantaged groups.
[AI] 我在放大弱势群体的声音。
I'm fighting the self-censorship
[AI] 我在反对自我审查
that has kept many Ugandan artists away from social. political theater
[AI] 这使得许多乌干达艺术家远离社会。政治舞台
since the persecution of artists by former Ugandan president. Idi Amin.
[AI] 自从乌干达前总统迫害艺术家以来。伊迪·阿明。
And most importantly. I am breaking the silence
[AI] 最重要的是。我正在打破沉默
and provoking meaningful conversations on taboo issues.
[AI] 以及就禁忌问题进行有意义的对话。
where often "Silence is golden" is the rule of thumb.
[AI] “沉默是金”通常是经验法则。
Conversations are important
[AI] 对话很重要
because they inform and challenge our minds to think.
[AI] 因为它们告诉并挑战我们的思维。
and change starts with thinking.
[AI] 改变始于思考。
One of my struggles with activism is its often one-sided nature
[AI] 我与激进主义的斗争之一是它往往是片面的
that blinds us to alternative view.
[AI] 这使我们对另一种观点视而不见。
that numbs our empathy.
[AI] 这会麻痹我们的同理心。
that makes us view those who see issues differently
[AI] 这使我们以不同的方式看待问题
as ignorant. self-hating. brainwashed. sellout or plain stupid.
[AI] 因为无知。自怨自艾。洗脑。卖座的或愚蠢的。
I believe no one is ignorant.
[AI] 我相信没有人是无知的。
We are all experts. only in different fields.
[AI] 我们都是专家。只是在不同的领域。
And this is why. for me. the saying "stay in your truth" is misleading.
[AI] 这就是为什么。为了我。“坚持真理”这句话有误导性。
Because if you're staying in your truth.
[AI] 因为如果你坚持你的真理。
isn't it logical that the person you believe is wrong
[AI] 你认为那个人错了,这难道不合乎逻辑吗
is also staying in their truth?
[AI] 也在坚持他们的真理吗?
So. what you have is two extremes
[AI] 所以你有两个极端
that shut out all possible avenues of conversations.
[AI] 这就排除了所有可能的对话渠道。
I create provocative theater and film to touch. humanize
[AI] 我创造了具有挑衅性的戏剧和电影。人性化
and move disagreeing parties to the conversation table
[AI] 并将不同意的一方移到对话桌上
to bridge misunderstandings.
[AI] 消除误解。
I know that listening to one another will not magically solve all problems.
[AI] 我知道互相倾听并不能神奇地解决所有问题。
But it will give a chance to create avenues
[AI] 但这将给我们一个创造途径的机会
to start to work together to solve many of humanity's problems.
[AI] 开始共同努力解决人类的许多问题。
With my first play. "Silent Voices."
[AI] 我的第一个剧本。“无声的声音。”
based on interviews with victims of the Northern Uganda war
[AI] 根据对乌干达北部战争受害者的采访
between the government and Joseph Kony's LRA rebel group.
[AI] 政府和约瑟夫·科尼的上帝抵抗军反叛组织之间。
I brought together victims. political leaders. religious leaders.
[AI] 我召集了受害者。政治领导人。宗教领袖。
cultural leaders. the Amnesty Commission and transitional justice leadership
[AI] 文化领袖。大赦委员会和过渡司法领导层
for critical conversations on issues of justice for war crime victims --
[AI] 就战争罪受害者的正义问题进行批判性对话--
the first of its kind in the history of Uganda.
[AI] 这是乌干达历史上的第一次。
And so many powerful things happened.
[AI] 发生了这么多强有力的事情。
that I can't even cover them all right now.
[AI] 我现在甚至都没法把它们都盖好。
Victims were given the opportunity to sit at the table
[AI] 受害者有机会坐在餐桌旁
with Amnesty Commission leadership.
[AI] 在大赦委员会的领导下。
and they expressed the big injustice they suffered
[AI] 他们表达了他们所遭受的巨大不公正
when the Commission ignored them
[AI] 当委员会无视他们的时候
and instead facilitated the resettlement of the war perpetrators.
[AI] 反而促成了战争肇事者的重新安置。
And the Amnesty Commission acknowledged the victims' pain
[AI] 特赦委员会承认受害者的痛苦
and explained the thinking behind their flawed approaches.
[AI] 并解释了他们有缺陷的方法背后的想法。
But one of the things that has stayed with me
[AI] 但有一件事一直伴随着我
is when. during my Northern Uganda tour of the play.
[AI] 是什么时候。在我的乌干达北部巡回演出期间。
a man approached me and introduced himself
[AI] 一个人走近我,向我作了自我介绍
as a former rebel soldier of Joseph Kony.
[AI] 作为约瑟夫·科尼的前叛军士兵。
He told me that he didn't want me to leave feeling disappointed.
[AI] 他告诉我他不想让我失望地离开。
due to some of what I considered inappropriate laughter.
[AI] 因为一些我认为不恰当的笑声。
He explained that his was a laughter of embarrassment
[AI] 他解释说,这是一种尴尬的笑声
and a recognition of his own embarrassment.
[AI] 也承认了自己的尴尬。
He saw himself in the actors onstage
[AI] 他看到自己站在舞台上
and saw the meaninglessness of his past actions.
[AI] 看到他过去的行为毫无意义。
So I say: share your truths.
[AI] 所以我说:分享你的真理。
Listen to one another's truths.
[AI] 倾听彼此的真相。
You will discover a more powerfully uniting truth
[AI] 你们将发现一个更强大的统一真理
in the middle ground.
[AI] 在中间地带。
When I lived in the USA.
[AI] 当我住在美国的时候。
many of my American friends would be shocked at my ignorance
[AI] 我的许多美国朋友会对我的无知感到震惊
at fancy Western dishes like lasagna. for instance.
[AI] 在像千层面这样的西方美食中。例如。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And my question to them would be.
[AI] 我要问他们的问题是。
"Well. do you know malakwang?"
[AI] “嗯,你知道马拉光吗?”
And then I would tell them about malakwang.
[AI] 然后我会告诉他们马拉光的情况。
a fancy vegetable dish from my culture.
[AI] 一道来自我文化的美味蔬菜。
And they would tell me about lasagna.
[AI] 他们会告诉我关于千层面的事。
And we would leave richer and fuller individuals.
[AI] 我们将留下更富有、更充实的个人。
Therefore. share your recipe truth.
[AI] 因此分享你的食谱真相。
It makes for a better meal.
[AI] 这是一顿更好的饭。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)