声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
Twenty-eight years ago. I was a broken man.
[AI] 二十八年前。我是一个破碎的人。
And you probably wouldn't be able to tell that if you met me.
[AI] 如果你遇到我,你可能就说不出来了。
I had a good job at a well-respected academic institution.
[AI] 我在一所备受尊敬的学术机构有一份好工作。
I dressed well. of course.
[AI] 我穿得很好。当然
But my insides were rotting away.
[AI] 但我的内脏正在腐烂。
You see. I grew up in a family riddled with addiction.
[AI] 你看。我在一个沉迷于毒品的家庭中长大。
and as a kid. I also struggled
[AI] 小时候。我也很挣扎
with coming to terms with my own sexuality.
[AI] 与我自己的性取向达成一致。
And even though I couldn't name it then.
[AI] 尽管当时我无法说出它的名字。
growing up as a gay kid
[AI] 作为一个同性恋孩子长大
just compounded my issues of isolation and insecurities.
[AI] 使我的孤立和不安全感问题更加复杂。
But drinking took all of that away.
[AI] 但是喝酒把这一切都带走了。
Like many. I drank at an early age.
[AI] 像许多人一样。我很小就喝酒了。
I continued to drink my way through college.
[AI] 我继续喝我的方式通过大学。
And when I finally did come out in the early 1980s.
[AI] 当我终于在20世纪80年代初出柜的时候。
about the only places to meet other gay people.
[AI] 这是唯一可以认识其他同性恋的地方。
to socialize.
[AI] 社交。
to be yourself. were gay bars.
[AI] 做你自己。是同性恋酒吧。
And what do you do in gay bars?
[AI] 你在同性恋酒吧做什么?
You drink.
[AI] 你喝酒。
And I did --
[AI] 我做到了--
a lot.
[AI] 很多
My story is not unique.
[AI] 我的故事不是独一无二的。
Like millions of Americans. my disease progressed undiagnosed.
[AI] 就像数百万美国人一样。我的病未经诊断就进展了。
It took me to people and places and things
[AI] 它把我带到人、地方和事物
that I never would have chosen.
[AI] 这是我永远不会选择的。
It wasn't until an intersection with the law
[AI] 直到与法律的交叉点
gave me an "opportunity" to get care.
[AI] 给了我一个得到护理的“机会”。
that I began my journey of recovery.
[AI] 我开始了我的康复之旅。
My journey of recovery has been filled with love and with joy.
[AI] 我的康复之旅充满了爱和欢乐。
but it hasn't been without pain.
[AI] 但也不是没有痛苦。
Like many of you. I've lost too many friends and family to this disease.
[AI] 就像你们很多人一样。我因为这种疾病失去了太多的朋友和家人。
I've heard too many heartbreaking stories
[AI] 我听过太多令人心碎的故事
of people who've lost loved ones to addiction.
[AI] 因为上瘾而失去亲人的人。
And I've also lost countless friends to HIV and AIDS.
[AI] 我也因为艾滋病毒和艾滋病失去了无数的朋友。
Our current opioid epidemic and the AIDS epidemic
[AI] 我们目前的类阿片流行病和艾滋病流行病
tragically have much in common.
[AI] 可悲的是,他们有很多共同点。
Right now. we are in the midst of one of the greatest health crises of our time.
[AI] 马上我们正处于我们这个时代最严重的健康危机之一。
During 2014 alone. 28.000 people
[AI] 仅2014年一年。2.8万人
died of drug overdoses associated with prescription drugs and heroin.
[AI] 死于与处方药和海洛因有关的药物过量。
During the 1980s. scores of people were dying from HIV and AIDS.
[AI] 20世纪80年代。数十人死于艾滋病毒和艾滋病。
Public officials ignored it.
[AI] 政府官员对此置之不理。
Some wouldn't even utter the words.
[AI] 有些人甚至连话都不说。
They didn't want treatment.
[AI] 他们不想接受治疗。
And tragically. there are many parallels with our current epidemic.
[AI] 可悲的是。与我们目前的流行病有许多相似之处。
Some called it the gay plague.
[AI] 有人称之为同性恋瘟疫。
They called for quarantines.
[AI] 他们要求隔离。
They wanted to separate the innocent victims from the rest of us.
[AI] 他们想把无辜的受害者和我们分开。
I was afraid we were losing this battle
[AI] 我担心我们会输掉这场战斗
because people were blaming us for being sick.
[AI] 因为人们指责我们生病了。
Public policy was being held hostage by stigma and fear.
[AI] 公共政策被污名和恐惧所束缚。
and also held hostage
[AI] 还被扣为人质
were compassion. care. research. recovery and treatment.
[AI] 我们有同情心。照顾研究康复和治疗。
But we changed all that.
[AI] 但我们改变了这一切。
Because out of the pain of those deaths.
[AI] 因为那些死亡带来的痛苦。
we saw a social and political movement.
[AI] 我们看到了一场社会和政治运动。
AIDS galvanized us into action;
[AI] 艾滋病促使我们采取行动;
to stand up. to speak up and to act out.
[AI] 站起来。说出来,表演出来。
And it also galvanized the LGBT movement.
[AI] 这也刺激了LGBT运动。
We knew we were in a battle for our lives
[AI] 我们知道我们在为自己的生命而战
because silence equaled death.
[AI] 因为沉默等于死亡。
but we changed. and we made things happen.
[AI] 但我们改变了。我们让事情发生了。
And right now. we have the potential
[AI] 现在。我们有潜力
to see the end of HIV/AIDS in our lifetime.
[AI] 见证艾滋病毒/艾滋病在我们有生之年的终结。
These changes came in no small part
[AI] 这些变化在很大程度上发生了
by the courageous. yet simple decision
[AI] 勇敢的人。但这是一个简单的决定
for people to come out
[AI] 让人们出来
to their neighbors. to their friends. to their families
[AI] 给他们的邻居。给他们的朋友。给他们的家人
and to their coworkers.
[AI] 和他们的同事。
Years ago. I was a volunteer for the Names Project.
[AI] 几年前。我是“名字”项目的志愿者。
This was an effort started by Cleve Jones in San Francisco
[AI] 这是琼斯在旧金山开始的努力。
to show that people who died of AIDS
[AI] 证明死于艾滋病的人
had names
[AI] 有名字
and faces and families
[AI] 还有面孔和家庭
and people who loved them.
[AI] 还有爱他们的人。
I still recall unfolding the AIDS memorial quilt
[AI] 我仍然记得打开艾滋病纪念被子的情景
on the National Mall on a brilliant day in October. 1988.
[AI] 在十月的一个晴朗的日子里,在国家广场上。1988
So fast forward to 2015.
[AI] 这么快就到2015年了。
The Supreme Court's decision to strike down the ban on same-sex marriage.
[AI] 最高法院推翻同性婚姻禁令的决定。
My husband. Dave. and I walk over to the steps of the Supreme Court
[AI] 我丈夫。戴夫。我走到最高法院的台阶上
to celebrate that decision with so many other people.
[AI] 和这么多人一起庆祝这个决定。
and I couldn't help but think how far we came around LGBT rights
[AI] 我忍不住想,我们在LGBT权利方面走了多远
and yet how far we needed to go around issues of addiction.
[AI] 然而,我们需要在成瘾问题上走多远。
When I was nominated by President Obama
[AI] 当我被奥巴马总统提名的时候
to be his Director of Drug Policy.
[AI] 成为他的毒品政策主任。
I was very open about my recovery and about the fact that I was a gay man.
[AI] 我对自己的康复和我是一个同性恋这一事实非常坦率。
And at no point during my confirmation process --
[AI] 在我的确认过程中--
at least that I know of --
[AI] 至少我知道--
did the fact that I was a gay man come to bear on my candidacy
[AI] 我是同性恋这一事实对我的候选人资格有影响吗
or my fitness to do this job.
[AI] 或者我是否适合做这项工作。
But my addiction did.
[AI] 但我上瘾了。
At one point. a congressional staffer said that there was no way
[AI] 一度。一名国会工作人员说没有办法
that I was going to be confirmed by the United States Senate
[AI] 我会得到美国参议院的确认
because of my past.
[AI] 因为我的过去。
despite the fact that I had been in recovery for over 20 years.
[AI] 尽管我已经康复20多年了。
and despite the fact
[AI] 尽管事实如此
that this job takes a little bit of knowledge around addiction.
[AI] 这份工作需要一点关于成瘾的知识。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
So. you know. this is the stigma
[AI] 所以你知道的。这就是耻辱
that people with substance use disorders
[AI] 有物质使用障碍的人
face every single day.
[AI] 面对每一天。
and you know. I have to tell you
[AI] 你知道的。我必须告诉你
it's still why I'm more comfortable coming out as a gay man
[AI] 这也是为什么我更愿意以同性恋的身份出现
than I am as a person with a history of addiction.
[AI] 而我是一个有上瘾史的人。
Nearly every family in America is affected by addiction.
[AI] 几乎每个美国家庭都受到上瘾的影响。
Yet. unfortunately. too often. it's not talked about openly and honestly.
[AI] 然而不幸地太频繁了。这不是公开和诚实地谈论的。
It's whispered about.
[AI] 这是耳语。
It's met with derision and scorn.
[AI] 它遭到嘲笑和蔑视。
We hear these stories. time and time again. on TV. online.
[AI] 我们听到这些故事。一次又一次。在电视上。在线 的
we hear it from public officials. and we hear it from family and friends.
[AI] 我们是从政府官员那里听到的。我们从家人和朋友那里听到的。
And those of us with an addiction. we hear those voices.
[AI] 还有我们这些上瘾的人。我们听到了这些声音。
and somehow we believe that we are less deserving of care and treatment.
[AI] 不知何故,我们认为我们不太值得关心和治疗。
Today in the United States. only one in nine people
[AI] 今天在美国。九分之一的人
get care and treatment for their disorder.
[AI] 为他们的疾病寻求护理和治疗。
One in nine.
[AI] 九分之一。
Think about that.
[AI] 想想看。
Generally. people with other diseases get care and treatment.
[AI] 通常地患有其他疾病的人得到护理和治疗。
If you have cancer. you get treatment.
[AI] 如果你得了癌症。你得到治疗。
if you have diabetes. you get treatment.
[AI] 如果你有糖尿病。你得到治疗。
If you have a heart attack.
[AI] 如果你心脏病发作。
you get emergency services. and you get referred to care.
[AI] 你可以得到紧急服务。你会被转介到护理中心。
But somehow people with addiction have to wait for treatment
[AI] 但不知何故,上瘾的人不得不等待治疗
or often can't get when they need it.
[AI] 或者经常在他们需要的时候拿不到。
And left untreated. addiction has significant. dire consequences.
[AI] 没有得到治疗。成瘾具有显著的危险性。可怕的后果。
And for many people that means death or incarceration.
[AI] 对许多人来说,这意味着死亡或监禁。
We've been down that road before.
[AI] 我们以前也走过这条路。
For too long our country felt
[AI] 长期以来,我们的国家感到
like we could arrest our way out of this problem.
[AI] 好像我们可以找到解决这个问题的办法。
But we know that we can't.
[AI] 但我们知道我们不能。
Decades of scientific research has shown
[AI] 几十年的科学研究表明
that this is a medical issue --
[AI] 这是一个医学问题--
that this is a chronic medical condition
[AI] 这是一种慢性疾病
that people inherit and that people develop.
[AI] 人们继承和发展。
So the Obama administration has taken a different tack on drug policy.
[AI] 因此,奥巴马政府在毒品政策上采取了不同的方针。
We've developed and implemented a comprehensive plan
[AI] 我们已经制定并实施了一项全面的计划
to expand prevention services. treatment services.
[AI] 扩大预防服务。治疗服务。
early intervention and recovery support.
[AI] 早期干预和康复支持。
We've pushed criminal justice reform.
[AI] 我们推动了刑事司法改革。
We've knocked down barriers to give people second chances.
[AI] 我们打破了障碍,给人们第二次机会。
We see public health and public safety officials working hand in hand
[AI] 我们看到公共卫生和公共安全官员携手合作
at the community level.
[AI] 在社区一级。
We see police chiefs across the country guiding people to treatment
[AI] 我们看到全国各地的警察局长指导人们接受治疗
instead of jail and incarceration.
[AI] 而不是坐牢和监禁。
We see law enforcement and other first responders
[AI] 我们看到执法部门和其他急救人员
reversing overdoses with naloxone to give people a second chance for care.
[AI] 逆转纳洛酮过量给人们第二次治疗机会。
The Affordable Care Act is the biggest expansion
[AI] 《平价医疗法案》是最大的扩展
of substance use disorder treatment in a generation.
[AI] 在一代人的时间里,药物使用障碍的治疗。
and it also calls for the integration of treatment services within primary care.
[AI] 它还呼吁将治疗服务纳入初级保健。
But fundamentally. all of this work is not enough.
[AI] 但从根本上说。所有这些工作还不够。
Unless we change the way that we view people with addiction
[AI] 除非我们改变对吸毒者的看法
in the United States.
[AI] 在美国。
Years ago when I finally understood that I had a problem
[AI] 几年前,当我终于明白我有一个问题
and I knew that I needed help.
[AI] 我知道我需要帮助。
I was too afraid to ask for it.
[AI] 我太害怕了,不敢开口。
I felt that people would think I was stupid. that I was weak-willed.
[AI] 我觉得人们会认为我很愚蠢。我意志薄弱。
that I was morally flawed.
[AI] 我在道德上有缺陷。
But I talk about my recovery because I want to make change.
[AI] 但我谈论我的恢复是因为我想改变。
I want us to see that we need to be open and candid about who we are
[AI] 我想让我们看到,我们需要对自己坦诚相待
and what we can do.
[AI] 我们能做什么。
I am public about my own recovery
[AI] 我公开了自己的康复情况
not to be self-congratulatory.
[AI] 不要自鸣得意。
I am open about my own recovery to change public opinion.
[AI] 我对自己的恢复持开放态度,以改变公众舆论。
to change public policy
[AI] 改变公共政策
and to change the course of this epidemic and empower the millions of Americans
[AI] 改变这一流行病的进程并赋予数百万美国人权力
who struggle with this journey
[AI] 谁在为这次旅行而挣扎
to be open and candid about who they are.
[AI] 对他们是谁坦诚相待。
People are more than their disease.
[AI] 人不仅仅是他们的疾病。
And all of us have the opportunity to change public opinion
[AI] 我们所有人都有机会改变公众舆论
and to change public policy.
[AI] 以及改变公共政策。
All of us know someone who has an addiction.
[AI] 我们都认识一个上瘾的人。
and all of us can do our part
[AI] 我们每个人都能尽到自己的责任
to change how we view people with addiction in the United States.
[AI] 改变我们对美国上瘾者的看法。
So when you see someone with an addiction.
[AI] 所以当你看到一个上瘾的人。
don't think of a drunk or a junkie or an addict or an abuser --
[AI] 不要想到一个醉汉、瘾君子、瘾君子或施虐者--
see a person;
[AI] 看见一个人;
offer them help;
[AI] 向他们提供帮助;
give them kindness and compassion.
[AI] 给他们仁慈和同情。
And together. we can be part
[AI] 一起。我们可以成为一部分
of a growing movement in the United States
[AI] 在美国,一场不断发展的运动
to change how we view people with addiction.
[AI] 改变我们对上瘾者的看法。
Together we can change public policy.
[AI] 我们可以一起改变公共政策。
We can ensure that people get care when they need it.
[AI] 我们可以确保人们在需要时得到护理。
just like any other disease.
[AI] 就像其他疾病一样。
We can be part of a growing. unstoppable movement
[AI] 我们可以成为成长中的一员。势不可挡的运动
to have millions of Americans enter recovery.
[AI] 让数百万美国人进入复苏。
and put an end to this epidemic.
[AI] 结束这场流行病。
Thank you very much.
[AI] 非常感谢你。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)