声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
She wrote:
[AI] 她写道:
"When I become famous. I will tell everyone
[AI] “当我成名的时候,我会告诉所有人
that I know a hero named Marlon Peterson."
[AI] 我认识一个叫马龙·彼得森的英雄。"
Heroes rarely look like me.
[AI] 英雄很少像我。
In fact.
[AI] 事实上
I'm what garbage looks like.
[AI] 我就是垃圾的样子。
No. not the most appealing way to open a talk or start a conversation.
[AI] 不,这不是开始谈话或开始谈话的最吸引人的方式。
and perhaps you have some questions going through your head about that.
[AI] 也许你脑子里有一些问题。
Why would this man say such a thing about himself?
[AI] 这个人为什么要这样说自己?
What does he mean?
[AI] 他是什么意思?
How can someone view him as a hero when he sees himself as garbage?
[AI] 当他把自己看成垃圾时,怎么能把他看作英雄呢?
I believe we learn more from questions than we do from answers.
[AI] 我相信我们从问题中学到的比从答案中学到的更多。
Because when we're questioning something.
[AI] 因为当我们在质疑什么的时候。
we're invested in taking in some sort of new information.
[AI] 我们投资于吸收一些新的信息。
or grappling with some sort of ignorance that makes us feel uncomfortable.
[AI] 或者与某种让我们感到不舒服的无知作斗争。
And that's why I'm here:
[AI] 这就是我来这里的原因:
to push us to question.
[AI] 让我们质疑。
even when it makes us uncomfortable.
[AI] 即使它让我们感到不舒服。
My parents are from Trinidad and Tobago.
[AI] 我的父母来自特立尼达和多巴哥。
the southernmost island in the Caribbean. Trinidad is also home to the only acoustic instrument
[AI] 加勒比海最南端的岛屿。特立尼达也是唯一的声学乐器之乡
invented in the 20th century:
[AI] 发明于20世纪:
the steel pan.
[AI] 钢制锅。
Deriving from the African drums
[AI] 源自非洲鼓
and evolving from the genius of one of the ghettos in Trinidad.
[AI] 从特立尼达的一个贫民窟的天才演变而来。
a city called Laventille.
[AI] 一个叫拉文蒂尔的城市。
and the disregard of the American military ...
[AI] 对美国军队的漠视。。。
Well. I should tell you.
[AI] 好我应该告诉你。
America. during WWII. had military bases set up in Trinidad.
[AI] 美国二战期间。在特立尼达建立了军事基地。
and when the war ended.
[AI] 战争结束时。
they left the island littered with empty oil drums --
[AI] 他们离开时岛上到处都是空油桶--
their trash.
[AI] 他们的垃圾。
So people from Laventille repurposed the old drums left behind
[AI] 因此,拉文蒂尔的人们重新利用遗留下来的旧鼓
into the full chromatic scale:
[AI] 进入全色音阶:
the steel pan.
[AI] 钢制锅。
Playing music now from Beethoven to Bob Marley to 50 Cent.
[AI] 现在演奏的音乐从贝多芬到鲍勃·马利再到50美分。
those people literally made music out of garbage.
[AI] 那些人简直是用垃圾做音乐。
Twelve days before my 20th birthday.
[AI] 离我20岁生日还有12天。
I was arrested for my role in a violent robbery attempt in lower Manhattan.
[AI] 我因参与曼哈顿下城的一次暴力抢劫而被捕。
While people were sitting in a coffee shop.
[AI] 当人们坐在咖啡店里的时候。
four people were shot.
[AI] 四人中枪。
Two were killed.
[AI] 两人死亡。
Five of us were arrested.
[AI] 我们五个人被捕了。
We were all the products of Trinidad and Tobago.
[AI] 我们都是特立尼达和多巴哥的产品。
We were the "bad immigrants."
[AI] 我们是“坏移民”
or the "anchor babies" that Trump and millions of Americans easily malign.
[AI] 或者特朗普和数百万美国人轻易诽谤的“锚宝宝”。
I was discarded. like waste material --
[AI] 我被抛弃了。像废物一样--
and justifiably so to many.
[AI] 对许多人来说,这是合理的。
I eventually served 10 years. two months and seven days of a prison sentence.
[AI] 我最终服刑了10年。两个月零七天的监禁。
I was sentenced to a decade of punishment in a correctional institution.
[AI] 我在一所教养院被判处十年徒刑。
I was sentenced to irrelevance --
[AI] 我被判无关罪--
the opposite of humanity.
[AI] 人性的反面。
Interestingly.
[AI] 有趣的是。
it was during those years in prison that a series of letters redeemed me.
[AI] 正是在那些坐牢的岁月里,一系列的信救赎了我。
helped me move beyond the darkness and the guilt
[AI] 帮助我走出黑暗和罪恶
associated with the worst moment of my young life.
[AI] 和我年轻时最糟糕的时刻联系在一起。
It gave me a sense that I was useful.
[AI] 这让我觉得我很有用。
She was 13 years old.
[AI] 她当时13岁。
She had wrote that she saw me as a hero.
[AI] 她曾写道,她把我视为英雄。
I remember reading that.
[AI] 我记得读过。
and I remember crying when I read those words.
[AI] 我记得当我读到这些话时,我哭了。
She was one of over 50 students
[AI] 她是50多名学生之一
and 150 letters that I wrote during a mentoring correspondence program
[AI] 还有我在辅导函授项目中写的150封信
that I co-designed with a friend
[AI] 我和一个朋友共同设计的
who was a teacher at a middle school in Brooklyn. my hometown.
[AI] 他是布鲁克林一所中学的老师。我的家乡。
We called it the Young Scholars Program.
[AI] 我们称之为青年学者计划。
Every time those young people shared their stories with me.
[AI] 每次那些年轻人和我分享他们的故事。
their struggles.
[AI] 他们的斗争。
every time they drew a picture of their favorite cartoon character
[AI] 每次他们都画一幅他们最喜欢的卡通人物的画
and sent it to me.
[AI] 然后寄给我。
every time they said they depended on my letters or my words of advice.
[AI] 每次他们说他们依赖我的信或我的建议。
it boosted my sense of worthiness.
[AI] 这增强了我的价值感。
It gave me a sense of what I could contribute to this planet.
[AI] 它让我意识到我能为这个星球做出什么贡献。
It transformed my life.
[AI] 它改变了我的生活。
Because of those letters and what they shared with me.
[AI] 因为那些信和他们和我分享的东西。
their stories of teen life.
[AI] 他们关于青少年生活的故事。
they gave me the permission.
[AI] 他们给了我许可。
they gave me the courage to admit to myself
[AI] 他们给了我勇气承认自己
that there were reasons -- not excuses --
[AI] 这是有原因的,不是借口--
but that there were reasons for that fateful day in October of 1999;
[AI] 但1999年10月那一决定性的日子是有原因的;
that the trauma associated with living in a community
[AI] 与生活在一个社区有关的创伤
where guns are easier to get than sneakers;
[AI] 枪支比运动鞋更容易买到;
that the trauma associated with being raped at gunpoint at the age of 14;
[AI] 与14岁时被枪口强奸有关的创伤;
that those are reasons for me why making that decision.
[AI] 这就是我为什么做出这个决定的原因。
that fatal decision.
[AI] 那个致命的决定。
was not an unlikely proposition.
[AI] 这不是一个不可能的提议。
Because those letters mattered so much to me.
[AI] 因为那些信对我很重要。
because writing and receiving
[AI] 因为写作和接受
and having that communication with those folks
[AI] 和那些人交流
so hugely impacted my life.
[AI] 对我的生活产生了巨大的影响。
I decided to share the opportunity with some friends of mine
[AI] 我决定和我的一些朋友分享这个机会
who were also inside with me.
[AI] 他们也在里面和我在一起。
My friends Bill and Cory and Arocks.
[AI] 我的朋友比尔、科里和阿洛克。
all in prison for violent crimes also.
[AI] 所有人都因暴力犯罪而入狱。
shared their words of wisdom with the young people as well.
[AI] 也与年轻人分享了他们的智慧之言。
and received the sense of relevancy in return.
[AI] 作为回报,他获得了关联感。
We are now published writers and youth program innovators
[AI] 我们现在是出版作家和青年计划创新者
and trauma experts
[AI] 和创伤专家
and gun violence prevention advocates.
[AI] 以及枪支暴力预防倡导者。
and TED talkers and --
[AI] 还有泰德的谈话者和--
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
and good daddies.
[AI] 还有好爸爸。
That's what I call a positive return of investment.
[AI] 这就是我所说的正投资回报。
Above all else.
[AI] 最重要的是。
what building that program taught me was that when we sow.
[AI] 那个项目教会我的是当我们播种的时候。
when we invest in the humanity of people no matter where they're at.
[AI] 当我们投资于人们的人性时,不管他们在哪里。
we can reap amazing rewards.
[AI] 我们可以收获惊人的回报。
In this latest era of criminal justice reform.
[AI] 在这个刑事司法改革的最新时代。
I often question and wonder why --
[AI] 我经常问,为什么--
why is it that so many believe
[AI] 为什么这么多人相信
that only those who have been convicted of nonviolent drug offenses
[AI] 只有那些被判犯有非暴力毒品罪的人
merit empathy and recognized humanity?
[AI] 值得同情和认可的人性?
Criminal justice reform is human justice.
[AI] 刑事司法改革是人类正义。
Am I not human?
[AI] 我不是人类吗?
When we invest in resources that amplify the relevancy of people
[AI] 当我们投资于增强人们相关性的资源时
in communities like Laventille
[AI] 在像拉文蒂尔这样的社区
or parts of Brooklyn or a ghetto near you.
[AI] 或者布鲁克林的部分地区或者你附近的贫民区。
we can literally create the communities that we want.
[AI] 我们可以创建我们想要的社区。
We can do better.
[AI] 我们可以做得更好。
We can do better than investing solely in law enforcement as a resource.
[AI] 我们可以做得更好,而不仅仅是作为一种资源投资于执法。
because they don't give us a sense of relevancy
[AI] 因为他们没有给我们一种关联感
that is at the core of why so many of us do so many harmful things
[AI] 这就是为什么我们中有这么多人做这么多有害的事情的核心
in the pursuit of mattering.
[AI] 在追求重要性的过程中。
See. gun violence is just a visible display of a lot of underlying traumas.
[AI] 看见枪支暴力只是许多潜在创伤的一个明显表现。
When we invest in the redemptive value of relevancy.
[AI] 当我们投资于相关性的赎回价值时。
we can render a return of both personal responsibility and healing.
[AI] 我们可以回报个人责任和治疗。
That's the people work I care about.
[AI] 这就是我关心的工作人员。
because people work.
[AI] 因为人们工作。
Family. I'm asking you to do the hard work.
[AI] 家庭我要求你做这项艰苦的工作。
the difficult work.
[AI] 困难的工作。
the churning work of bestowing undeserved kindness
[AI] 给予不应有的仁慈的烦琐工作
upon those who we can relegate as garbage.
[AI] 对那些我们可以当作垃圾的人。
who we can disregard and discard easily.
[AI] 我们可以轻易忽略和抛弃的人。
I'm asking myself.
[AI] 我在问自己。
Over the past two months.
[AI] 在过去的两个月里。
I've lost two friends to gun violence.
[AI] 我有两个朋友死于枪战。
both innocent bystanders.
[AI] 两个无辜的旁观者。
One was caught in a drive-by while walking home.
[AI] 其中一人在回家的路上被路过的人抓住了。
The other was sitting in a café while eating breakfast.
[AI] 另一个坐在咖啡馆里吃早餐。
while on vacation in Miami.
[AI] 在迈阿密度假的时候。
I'm asking myself to see the redemptive value of relevancy
[AI] 我在问自己,相关性的救赎价值
in the people that murdered them.
[AI] 在那些谋杀他们的人身上。
because of the hard work of seeing the value in me.
[AI] 因为我努力工作,看到了自己的价值。
I'm pushing us to challenge our own capacity
[AI] 我在敦促我们挑战自己的能力
to fully experience our humanity.
[AI] 充分体验我们的人性。
by understanding the full biography
[AI] 通过了解完整的传记
of people who we can easily choose not to see.
[AI] 我们可以轻易选择不去见的人。
because heroes are waiting to be recognized.
[AI] 因为英雄们正在等待被认可。
and music is waiting to be made.
[AI] 音乐也在等待着制作。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)