声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
It was the spring of 1988
[AI] 那是1988年的春天
when I had the aha moment.
[AI] 当我有了aha的时刻。
I was at my first roundtable.
[AI] 我第一次参加圆桌会议。
and for those of you who don't know.
[AI] 对于你们这些不知道的人。
the roundtable was a very commonly used phrase on Wall Street
[AI] 圆桌会议是华尔街上一个非常常用的短语
to describe the year-end evaluative process
[AI] 描述年终评估过程
for analysts. associates. vice presidents. all the way up to managing directors.
[AI] 对于分析师来说。联系。副主席。一直到总经理。
That was the process where they were discussed behind closed doors
[AI] 这就是他们闭门讨论的过程
around a table. i.e. the round table.
[AI] 围着桌子。i、 e.圆桌会议。
and everyone was put into a category --
[AI] 每个人都被归入一个类别--
the top bucket. the middle bucket. the lower bucket --
[AI] 最上面的桶。中间的桶。下铲斗--
and then that was translated into a bonus range
[AI] 然后这就转化成了一个奖金范围
that would be assigned to each professional.
[AI] 这将分配给每个专业人员。
This was my first time there. and as I observed.
[AI] 这是我第一次去那里。正如我所观察到的。
I saw that there was one person that was responsible
[AI] 我看到有一个人对此负责
for recording the outcome of a conversation.
[AI] 用于记录对话的结果。
There were other people in the room that had the responsibility
[AI] 房间里还有其他人负有责任
of presenting the cases of all the candidates.
[AI] 展示所有候选人的案例。
And there were other invited guests who were supposed to comment
[AI] 还有其他被邀请的客人应该发表评论
as a candidate's position was presented.
[AI] 作为候选人的职位被提出。
It was interesting to me that those other people
[AI] 我很感兴趣的是其他人
were folks who were more senior than the folks that were being discussed
[AI] 是比正在讨论的人更高级的人吗
and they theoretically had had some interaction with those candidates.
[AI] 理论上,他们与这些候选人有过一些互动。
Now. I was really excited to be at this roundtable for the first time.
[AI] 现在我第一次参加这个圆桌会议真的很激动。
because I knew that my own process would go through this same way.
[AI] 因为我知道我自己的过程也会经历同样的过程。
and that my bonus would be decided in the same way.
[AI] 我的奖金也会以同样的方式决定。
so I wanted to know how it worked.
[AI] 所以我想知道它是如何工作的。
but more importantly.
[AI] 但更重要的是。
I wanted to understand how this concept of a meritocracy
[AI] 我想了解精英统治的概念是如何形成的
that every company that I talked to walking out of business school
[AI] 和我谈过的每一家公司都要走出商学院
was selling.
[AI] 他在卖东西。
Every time I talked to a company.
[AI] 每次我和一家公司谈话。
they would say. "Our culture. our process. is a meritocracy.
[AI] 他们会说。“我们的文化,我们的过程,都是精英统治。
The way you get ahead in this organization is that you're smart.
[AI] 你在这个组织中获得成功的方式就是你很聪明。
you put your head down and you work really hard.
[AI] 你低下头,工作很努力。
and you'll go right to the top.
[AI] 你会直接到达顶端。
So here was my opportunity to see exactly how that worked.
[AI] 所以我有机会来看看这到底是怎么回事。
So as the process began.
[AI] 当这个过程开始的时候。
I heard the recorder call the first person's name.
[AI] 我听到录音机叫第一个人的名字。
"Joe Smith."
[AI] “乔·史密斯。”
The person responsible for presenting Joe's case did just that.
[AI] 负责介绍乔的案子的人就是这么做的。
Three quarters of the way through. someone interrupted and said.
[AI] 四分之三的路程。有人插嘴说。
"This is a great candidate. outstanding.
[AI] “这是一位伟大的候选人,非常出色。
has great analytical and quantitative skills.
[AI] 具有出色的分析和定量技能。
This is a superstar."
[AI] 这是一个超级明星。"
The recorder then said.
[AI] 录音员接着说。
"Sounds like Joe should go in the top bucket."
[AI] “听起来乔应该成为最重要的人物。”
Second person. Mary Smith.
[AI] 第二个人。玛丽·史密斯。
Halfway through that presentation. someone said. "Solid candidate.
[AI] 演讲进行到一半。有人说。“可靠的候选人。
Nothing really special. but a good pair of hands."
[AI] 没什么特别的。但是一双好手。"
The recorder said.
[AI] 录音员说。
"Sounds like Mary should go in the middle bucket."
[AI] “听起来像玛丽应该走在中间的桶里。”
And then someone said. "Arnold Smith."
[AI] 然后有人说。“阿诺德·史密斯。”
Before the person could present Arnold's case.
[AI] 在这个人提出阿诺德的案子之前。
somebody said. "Disaster. Disaster. This kid doesn't have a clue.
[AI] 有人说。“灾难,灾难,这孩子一点线索都没有。
Can't do a model."
[AI] 不能做模型。"
And before the case was presented.
[AI] 在案件提出之前。
the recorder said.
[AI] 录音员说。
"Sounds like Arnold should go in the bottom bucket."
[AI] “听起来阿诺德应该坐在最底层。”
It was at that moment that I clutched my pearls --
[AI] 就在那一刻,我紧紧抓住我的珍珠--
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
and said. "Who is going to speak for me?"
[AI] 然后说。“谁将代表我发言?”
Who is going to speak for me?
[AI] 谁将代表我发言?
It was that moment that I realized that this idea of a meritocracy
[AI] 就在那一刻,我意识到这种精英管理的理念
that every organizations sells is really just a myth.
[AI] 每个组织都在销售,这真的只是一个神话。
You cannot have a 100 percent meritocratic environment
[AI] 你不可能有一个百分之百的精英环境
when there is a human element involved in the evaluative equation.
[AI] 当评价方程中涉及到人为因素时。
because by definition.
[AI] 因为根据定义。
that makes it subjective.
[AI] 这使得它很主观。
I knew at that moment that somebody would have to be behind closed doors
[AI] 那一刻我就知道必须有人关起门来
arguing on my behalf.
[AI] 代表我辩论。
presenting content in such a way
[AI] 以这种方式呈现内容
that other decision makers around that table
[AI] 那张桌子周围的其他决策者
would answer in my best favor.
[AI] 我的回答会对我最有利。
That was a really interesting lesson.
[AI] 那真是一堂有趣的课。
and then I said to myself. "Well. who is that person?
[AI] 然后我对自己说。“嗯,那个人是谁?
What do you call this person?"
[AI] 你怎么称呼这个人?"
And as I thought about the popular business terms at the time.
[AI] 当我想到当时流行的商业术语时。
I said. wow. this person can't be a mentor.
[AI] 我说。哇!这个人不可能是导师。
because a mentor's job is to give you tailored advice.
[AI] 因为导师的工作是给你量身定做的建议。
tailored specifically to you and to your career aspirations.
[AI] 专为您和您的职业抱负量身定制。
They're the ones who give you the good. the bad and the ugly
[AI] 是他们给了你好处。坏与丑
in a no-holds-barred way.
[AI] 以无障碍的方式。
OK. Person can't be a champion or an advocate.
[AI] 好啊一个人不能成为冠军或倡导者。
because you don't necessarily have to spend any currency
[AI] 因为你不必花任何货币
to be someone's champion.
[AI] 成为某人的冠军。
You don't necessarily get invited to the room
[AI] 你不一定会被邀请到这个房间
behind closed doors if you're an advocate.
[AI] 如果你是一个倡导者,就关起门来。
It was almost two years later
[AI] 差不多两年后
when I realized what this person should be called.
[AI] 当我意识到这个人应该叫什么的时候。
I was speaking at the University of Michigan
[AI] 我在密歇根大学演讲
to the MBA candidates.
[AI] 向MBA候选人致意。
talking about the lessons that I had learned
[AI] 谈论我学到的教训
after my three short years on Wall Street.
[AI] 在华尔街短短三年之后。
and then it came to me.
[AI] 然后我想到了。
I said. "Oh. this person that is carrying your interest.
[AI] 我说。“哦,这个和你有利害关系的人。
or as I like to say. carrying your paper into the room.
[AI] 或者像我想说的那样。把你的文件带进房间。
this person who is spending
[AI] 这个花钱的人
their valuable political and social capital on you.
[AI] 他们宝贵的政治和社会资本都在你身上。
this person who is going to pound the table on your behalf.
[AI] 这个人将代表你敲打桌子。
this is a sponsor.
[AI] 这是赞助商。
This is a sponsor."
[AI] 这是赞助商。"
And then I said to myself.
[AI] 然后我对自己说。
"Well. how do you get a sponsor?
[AI] “嗯,你是如何获得赞助人的?
And frankly. why do you need one?"
[AI] 坦率地说。你为什么需要一个?"
Well. you need a sponsor. frankly.
[AI] 好你需要一个赞助人。坦白地说
because as you can see.
[AI] 因为正如你所看到的。
there's not one evaluative process that I can think of.
[AI] 我想不出一个评价过程。
whether it's in academia. health care. financial services.
[AI] 不管是在学术界。保健。金融服务。
not one that does not have a human element.
[AI] 不是一个没有人性因素的人。
So that means it has that measure of subjectivity.
[AI] 这意味着它有主观性。
There is a measure of subjectivity in who is presenting your case.
[AI] 谁在陈述你的案例中有一定程度的主观性。
There is a measure of subjectivity
[AI] 有一定程度的主观性
in what they say
[AI] 照他们说的
and how they interpret any objective data that you might have.
[AI] 以及他们如何解释你可能拥有的任何客观数据。
There is a measure of subjectivity in how they say what they're going to say
[AI] 他们说话的方式有一定程度的主观性
to influence the outcome.
[AI] 影响结果。
So therefore. you need to make sure that that person who is speaking.
[AI] 所以。你需要确保正在讲话的那个人。
that sponsor.
[AI] 那个赞助商。
has your best interests at heart
[AI] 把你的最大利益放在心上吗
and has the power to get it. whatever it is for you.
[AI] 并且有能力得到它。不管对你来说是什么。
to get it done behind closed doors.
[AI] 闭门造车。
Now. I'm asked all the time.
[AI] 现在一直有人问我。
"How do you get one?"
[AI] “你怎么弄到的?”
Well. frankly. nirvana is when someone sees you in an environment
[AI] 好坦白地说涅盘是当有人看到你在一个环境中
and decides. "I'm going to make it happen for you.
[AI] 然后决定。“我会为你实现的。
I'm going to make sure that you are successful."
[AI] 我要确保你成功。"
But for many of us in this room. we know it doesn't really happen that way.
[AI] 但对我们在座的许多人来说。我们知道事情不是这样发生的。
So let me introduce this concept of currency
[AI] 让我来介绍一下货币的概念
and talk to you about how it impacts your ability to get a sponsor.
[AI] 和你谈谈它如何影响你获得赞助人的能力。
There are two types of currency in any environment:
[AI] 任何环境中都有两种类型的货币:
performance currency and relationship currency.
[AI] 绩效货币和关系货币。
And performance currency is the currency that is generated
[AI] 性能货币是生成的货币
by your delivering that which was asked of you
[AI] 通过你交付要求你的东西
and a little bit extra.
[AI] 还有一点额外的。
Every time you deliver upon an assignment above people's expectations.
[AI] 每次你完成的任务都超出了人们的期望。
you generate performance currency.
[AI] 您可以生成性能货币。
It works exactly like the stock market.
[AI] 它的运作方式与股票市场一模一样。
Any time a company says to the street
[AI] 任何时候公司对街上说
that they will deliver 25 cents a share
[AI] 他们将每股交付25美分
and that company delivers 40 cents a share.
[AI] 那家公司的股价是40美分。
that stock goes up. and so will yours.
[AI] 那股票上涨了。你的也一样。
Performance currency is valuable for three reasons.
[AI] 绩效货币之所以有价值,有三个原因。
Number one. it will get you noticed.
[AI] 第一。这会引起你的注意。
It will create a reputation for you.
[AI] 这将为你创造声誉。
Number two. it will also get you paid and promoted
[AI] 二号。这也会让你得到报酬和晋升
very early on in your career
[AI] 在你职业生涯的早期
and very early on in any environment.
[AI] 而且在任何环境中都是很早的。
And number three. it may attract a sponsor.
[AI] 第三。它可能会吸引赞助商。
Why? Because strong performance currency
[AI] 为什么?因为货币表现强劲
raises your level of visibility in the environment. as I said earlier.
[AI] 提高您在环境中的可见性级别。正如我刚才所说。
such that a sponsor may be attracted to you.
[AI] 这样赞助商可能会被你吸引。
Why? Because everybody loves a star.
[AI] 为什么?因为每个人都喜欢明星。
But if you find yourself in a situation
[AI] 但是如果你发现自己处于这样的境地
where you don't have a sponsor.
[AI] 你没有赞助商的地方。
here's the good news.
[AI] 这是好消息。
Remember that you can exercise your power and ask for one.
[AI] 记住,你可以行使你的权力,并要求一个。
But here's where the other currency is now most important.
[AI] 但另一种货币现在最为重要。
That is the relationship currency.
[AI] 这就是货币之间的关系。
and relationship currency is the currency that is generated
[AI] 关系货币是生成的货币
by the investments that you make in the people in your environment.
[AI] 通过你对你所处环境中的人所做的投资。
the investments that you make in the people in your environment.
[AI] 你对你所处环境中的人所做的投资。
You cannot ask someone to use their hard-earned
[AI] 你不能要求别人使用他们辛苦赚来的钱
personal influential currency on your behalf
[AI] 代表您的个人影响力货币
if you've never had any interaction with them.
[AI] 如果你从来没有和他们交流过。
It is not going to happen.
[AI] 这是不会发生的。
So it is important that you invest the time to connect. to engage
[AI] 因此,重要的是,你要投入时间进行沟通。从事
and to get to know the people that are in your environment.
[AI] 了解你周围的人。
and more importantly to give them the opportunity to know you.
[AI] 更重要的是给他们认识你的机会。
Because once they know you.
[AI] 因为一旦他们认识你。
there's a higher probability that when you approach them
[AI] 当你接近他们的时候
to ask them to be your sponsor.
[AI] 让他们成为你的赞助商。
they will in fact answer in the affirmative.
[AI] 事实上,他们的回答是肯定的。
Now. if you're with me and you agree that you have to have a sponsor.
[AI] 现在如果你和我在一起,你同意你必须有一个赞助人。
let's talk about how you identify a sponsor.
[AI] 让我们谈谈如何确定赞助商。
Well. if you're looking for a sponsor.
[AI] 好如果你正在寻找赞助商。
they need to have three primary characteristics.
[AI] 它们需要具备三个主要特征。
Number one. they need to have a seat at the decision-making table.
[AI] 第一。他们需要在决策桌上占有一席之地。
they need to have exposure to your work
[AI] 他们需要接触你的工作
in order to have credibility behind closed doors.
[AI] 为了在闭门造车后获得信誉。
and they need to have some juice.
[AI] 他们需要一些果汁。
or let me say it differently. they'd better have some power.
[AI] 或者让我换一种说法。他们最好有点力量。
It's really important that they have those three things.
[AI] 他们拥有这三样东西真的很重要。
And then once you have identified the person.
[AI] 一旦你认出了那个人。
how do you ask for one?
[AI] 你怎么要一个?
The script goes like this.
[AI] 剧本是这样的。
"Jim. I'm really interested in getting promoted this year.
[AI] “吉姆,今年我真的很想升职。
I've had an amazing year
[AI] 我度过了令人惊奇的一年
and I cannot show this organization anything else to prove my worthiness
[AI] 我不能向这个组织展示任何其他东西来证明我的价值
or my readiness for this promotion.
[AI] 或者说我准备好升职了。
but I am aware that somebody has to be behind closed doors
[AI] 但我知道必须有人关起门来
arguing on my behalf and pounding the table.
[AI] 为我的利益争论,并敲打桌子。
You know me. you know my work and you are aware of the client feedback.
[AI] 你了解我。你知道我的工作,也知道客户的反馈。
and I hope that you will feel comfortable arguing on my behalf."
[AI] 我希望你能为我辩护。"
If Jim knows you
[AI] 如果吉姆认识你
and you have any kind of a relationship.
[AI] 你有任何一种关系。
there's a very high probability that he will answer yes.
[AI] 他很有可能会回答是的。
and if he says yes.
[AI] 如果他答应了。
he will endeavor to get it done for you.
[AI] 他会尽力帮你完成的。
But there's also a shot that Jim might say no.
[AI] 但也有一个镜头吉姆可能会说不。
and if he says no. in my opinion.
[AI] 如果他说不,在我看来。
there's only three reasons that he would tell you no.
[AI] 他拒绝你的原因只有三个。
The first is he doesn't think that he has enough exposure to your work
[AI] 首先,他认为他没有足够的机会接触你的工作
to have real credibility behind closed doors
[AI] 在闭门造车的情况下拥有真正的信誉
to be impactful and effective on your behalf.
[AI] 为您的利益发挥影响力和效力。
The second reason he may tell you no
[AI] 第二个原因是他可能会拒绝你
is that you think he has the juice to get it done.
[AI] 你认为他有能力完成这件事。
but he knows that he does not have the power to do it
[AI] 但他知道他没有权力这么做
and he is not going to admit that in that conversation with you.
[AI] 他不会在和你的谈话中承认这一点。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And the third reason that he would tell you no.
[AI] 第三个原因是他会拒绝你。
he doesn't like you.
[AI] 他不喜欢你。
He doesn't like you.
[AI] 他不喜欢你。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And that's something that could happen.
[AI] 这是可能发生的事情。
But even that will be valuable information for you
[AI] 但即使这样,对你来说也是有价值的信息
that will help to inform your next conversation with a sponsor
[AI] 这将有助于通知您与赞助商的下一次对话
that might make it a little bit more impactful.
[AI] 这可能会让它更有影响力。
I cannot tell you how important it is to have a sponsor.
[AI] 我不能告诉你有一个赞助商有多重要。
It is the critical relationship in your career.
[AI] 这是你职业生涯中至关重要的关系。
A mentor. frankly. is a nice to have.
[AI] 导师。坦白地说这是一个很好的选择。
but you can survive a long time in your career without a mentor.
[AI] 但是你可以在没有导师的情况下在职业生涯中存活很长时间。
but you are not going to ascend in any organization without a sponsor.
[AI] 但是如果没有赞助商,你将无法在任何组织中提升。
It is so critical that you should ask yourself regularly.
[AI] 这是如此重要,你应该经常问自己。
"Who's carrying my paper into the room?
[AI] “谁把我的文件拿进房间?
Who is carrying my paper into the room?"
[AI] 谁把我的文件拿进房间?"
And if you can't answer who is carrying your paper into the room.
[AI] 如果你不能回答是谁把你的论文带进房间。
then I will tell you to divert some of your hardworking energies
[AI] 然后我会告诉你转移一些你努力工作的精力
into investing in a sponsor relationship.
[AI] 投资于赞助商关系。
because it will be critical to your success.
[AI] 因为这对你的成功至关重要。
And as I close. let me give a word
[AI] 当我接近时。让我说几句
to the would-be sponsors that are in the room.
[AI] 致在座的潜在赞助商。
If you have been invited into the room.
[AI] 如果你被邀请进入房间。
know that you have a seat at that table.
[AI] 我知道你在那张桌子上有个座位。
and if you have a seat at the table.
[AI] 如果你有位子的话。
you have a responsibility to speak.
[AI] 你有责任说话。
Don't waste your power worrying about what people are going to say
[AI] 不要浪费你的精力去担心别人会说什么
and whether or not they think you might be supporting someone
[AI] 不管他们是否认为你可能支持某人
just because they look like you.
[AI] 只是因为他们看起来像你。
If somebody is worthy of your currency.
[AI] 如果有人配得上你的货币。
spend it.
[AI] 花掉它。
One thing I have learned after several decades on Wall Street
[AI] 在华尔街工作了几十年后,我学到了一件事
is the way to grow your power is to give it away.
[AI] 增长你的力量的方法就是放弃它。
and your voice is at the heart.
[AI] 你的声音在心里。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
And your voice is at the heart of your power.
[AI] 你的声音是你力量的核心。
Use it.
[AI] 使用它。
Thank you very much.
[AI] 非常感谢你。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)