声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
Consider the following statement:
[AI] 考虑下面的陈述:
human beings only use 10 percent of their brain capacity.
[AI] 人类只使用大脑容量的10%。
Well. as a neuroscientist. I can tell you
[AI] 好作为一名神经科学家。我可以告诉你
that while Morgan Freeman delivered this line
[AI] 摩根·弗里曼说这句话的时候
with the gravitas that makes him a great actor.
[AI] 他的严肃使他成为一个伟大的演员。
this statement is entirely false.
[AI] 这句话完全是假的。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
The truth is. human beings use 100 percent of their brain capacity.
[AI] 事实是。人类使用100%的大脑容量。
The brain is a highly efficient. energy-demanding organ
[AI] 大脑是一个高效的系统。耗能器官
that gets fully utilized
[AI] 这得到了充分利用
and even though it is at full capacity being used.
[AI] 即使它已满负荷使用。
it suffers from a problem of information overload.
[AI] 它面临着信息过载的问题。
There's far too much in the environment than it can fully process.
[AI] 环境中的内容太多,无法完全处理。
So to solve this problem of overload.
[AI] 所以要解决这个过载的问题。
evolution devised a solution.
[AI] 进化设计了一个解决方案。
which is the brain's attention system.
[AI] 这是大脑的注意力系统。
Attention allows us
[AI] 注意力允许我们
to notice. select and direct the brain's computational resources
[AI] 注意到。选择并指导大脑的计算资源
to a subset of all that's available.
[AI] 所有可用数据的子集。
We can think of attention as the leader of the brain.
[AI] 我们可以把注意力看作是大脑的领导者。
Wherever attention goes. the rest of the brain follows.
[AI] 无论注意力去哪里。大脑的其他部分也会这样做。
In some sense. it's your brain's boss.
[AI] 从某种意义上说。这是你大脑的老板。
And over the last 15 years.
[AI] 在过去的15年里。
I've been studying the human brain's attention system.
[AI] 我一直在研究人脑的注意力系统。
In all of our studies. I've been very interested in one question.
[AI] 在我们所有的研究中。我一直对一个问题很感兴趣。
If it is indeed the case that our attention is the brain's boss.
[AI] 如果我们的注意力确实是大脑的老板。
is it a good boss?
[AI] 是个好老板吗?
Does it actually guide us well?
[AI] 它真的能很好地指导我们吗?
And to dig in on this big question. I wanted to know three things.
[AI] 深入研究这个大问题。我想知道三件事。
First. how does attention control our perception?
[AI] 第一注意力如何控制我们的感知?
Second. why does it fail us.
[AI] 第二为什么它让我们失望。
often leaving us feeling foggy and distracted?
[AI] 经常让我们感到迷茫和心烦意乱?
And third. can we do anything about this fogginess.
[AI] 第三。我们能为这雾气做些什么吗。
can we train our brain to pay better attention?
[AI] 我们能训练我们的大脑更好地集中注意力吗?
To have more strong and stable attention in the work that we do in our lives.
[AI] 在我们生活中所做的工作中有更强烈和稳定的注意力。
So I wanted to give you a brief glimpse
[AI] 所以我想给你一个简短的一瞥
into how we're going to look at this.
[AI] 我们将如何看待这个问题。
A very poignant example
[AI] 一个非常令人痛心的例子
of how our attention ends up getting utilized.
[AI] 我们的注意力是如何被利用的。
And I want to do it using the example of somebody that I know quite well.
[AI] 我想用一个我很熟悉的人做例子。
He ends up being part of a very large group of people that we work with.
[AI] 他最终成为我们一起工作的一大群人中的一员。
for whom attention is a matter of life and death.
[AI] 对他们来说,关注是生死攸关的事情。
Think of medical professionals or firefighters
[AI] 想想医疗专业人员或消防员
or soldiers or marines.
[AI] 或士兵或海军陆战队。
This is the story of a marine captain. Captain Jeff Davis.
[AI] 这是一个海军上校的故事。杰夫·戴维斯上尉。
And the scene that I'm going to share with you. as you can see.
[AI] 我要和大家分享的场景。如你所见。
is not about his time in the battlefield.
[AI] 不是关于他在战场上的时间。
He was actually on a bridge. in Florida.
[AI] 他实际上是在桥上。在佛罗里达。
But instead of looking at the scenery around him.
[AI] 而不是看着周围的风景。
seeing the beautiful vistas
[AI] 看到美丽的景色
and noticing the cool ocean breezes.
[AI] 注意到凉爽的海风。
he was driving fast and contemplating driving off that bridge.
[AI] 他开得很快,正打算开车离开那座桥。
And he would later tell me that it took all of everything he had not to do so.
[AI] 他后来会告诉我,他做了所有不该做的事。
You see. he'd just returned from Iraq.
[AI] 你看。他刚从伊拉克回来。
And while his body was on that bridge.
[AI] 当他的尸体在桥上的时候。
his mind. his attention. was thousands of miles away.
[AI] 他的思想。他的注意力。在几千英里之外。
He was gripped with suffering.
[AI] 他饱受痛苦。
His mind was worried and preoccupied
[AI] 他心事重重,心事重重
and had stressful memories and. really. dread for his future.
[AI] 有着紧张的记忆和记忆。真正地对未来的恐惧。
And I'm really glad that he didn't take his life.
[AI] 我真的很高兴他没有自杀。
Because he. as a leader. knew that he wasn't the only one
[AI] 因为他。作为一个领导者。知道他不是唯一一个
that was probably suffering;
[AI] 那可能是痛苦;
many of his fellow marines probably were. too.
[AI] 他的许多海军战友可能都是。也
And in the year 2008. he partnered with me in the first-of-its-kind project
[AI] 2008年。他与我合作进行了第一个同类项目
that actually allowed us to test and offer something called mindfulness training to active-duty military personnel.
[AI] 这实际上让我们能够测试并为现役军人提供所谓的正念训练。
But before I tell you about what mindfulness training is.
[AI] 但在我告诉你们什么是正念训练之前。
or the results of that study.
[AI] 或者那项研究的结果。
I think it's important to understand how attention works in the brain.
[AI] 我认为理解注意力在大脑中的作用很重要。
So what we do in the laboratory
[AI] 那么我们在实验室里做什么呢
is that many of our studies of attention involve brain-wave recordings.
[AI] 我们的许多注意力研究都涉及脑电波记录。
In these brain wave recordings. people wear funny-looking caps
[AI] 在这些脑电波记录中。人们戴着滑稽的帽子
that are sort of like swimming caps. that have electrodes embedded in them.
[AI] 那有点像游泳帽。有电极嵌入其中的。
These electrodes pick up the ongoing brain electrical activity.
[AI] 这些电极接收正在进行的大脑电活动。
And they do it with millisecond temporal precision.
[AI] 他们以毫秒级的时间精度来做。
So we can see these small yet detectable voltage fluctuations over time.
[AI] 所以我们可以看到这些微小但可检测的电压随时间的波动。
And doing this. we can very precisely plot the timing of the brain's activity.
[AI] 这样做。我们可以非常精确地描绘出大脑活动的时间。
About 170 milliseconds
[AI] 大约170毫秒
after we show our research participants a face on the screen.
[AI] 在我们向研究参与者展示屏幕上的一张脸之后。
we see a very reliable. detectable brain signature.
[AI] 我们看到了一个非常可靠的方法。可检测的大脑信号。
It happens right at the back of the scalp.
[AI] 它发生在头皮的后面。
above the regions of the brain that are involved in face processing.
[AI] 大脑中参与面部处理的区域。
Now. this happens so reliably and so on cue.
[AI] 现在这是如此可靠,如此这般暗示。
as the brain's face detector.
[AI] 作为大脑的面部检测器。
that we've even given this brain-wave component a name.
[AI] 我们甚至给这个脑波成分起了个名字。
We call it the N170 component.
[AI] 我们称之为N170组件。
And we use this component in many of our studies.
[AI] 我们在很多研究中都用到了这个成分。
It allows us to see the impact that attention may have on our perception.
[AI] 它让我们看到注意力对我们感知的影响。
I'm going to give you a sense of the kind of experiments
[AI] 我将给你们一种实验的感觉
that we actually do in the lab.
[AI] 我们在实验室里做的。
We would show participants images like this one.
[AI] 我们会向参与者展示像这样的图片。
You should see a face and a scene overlaid on each other.
[AI] 您应该看到一张脸和一个场景相互重叠。
And what we do is we ask our participants
[AI] 我们要做的是询问参与者
as they're viewing a series of these types of overlaid images.
[AI] 当他们看到一系列这些类型的叠加图像时。
to do something with their attention.
[AI] 用他们的注意力做某事。
On some trials. we'll ask them to pay attention to the face.
[AI] 在一些试验中。我们会让他们注意面部。
And to make sure they're doing that.
[AI] 为了确保他们这样做。
we ask them to tell us. by pressing a button.
[AI] 我们要求他们告诉我们。按一个按钮。
if the face appeared to be male or female.
[AI] 如果脸看起来是男性或女性。
On other trials.
[AI] 在其他审判中。
we ask them to tell what the scene was -- was it indoor or outdoor?
[AI] 我们让他们说出场景是什么——是室内还是室外?
And in this way. we can manipulate attention
[AI] 就这样。我们可以控制注意力
and confirm that the participants were actually doing what we said.
[AI] 并确认参与者确实在做我们所说的。
Our hypotheses about attention were as follows:
[AI] 我们关于注意力的假设如下:
if attention is indeed doing its job and affecting perception.
[AI] 如果注意力确实在发挥作用并影响感知。
maybe it works like an amplifier.
[AI] 也许它的工作原理像一个放大器。
And what I mean by this
[AI] 我这是什么意思
is that when we direct attention to the face.
[AI] 就是当我们把注意力放在脸上的时候。
it becomes clearer and more salient.
[AI] 它变得更加清晰和突出。
it's easier to see.
[AI] 这更容易看。
But when we direct it to the scene.
[AI] 但当我们把它指向现场时。
the face becomes barely perceptible
[AI] 那张脸几乎看不见了
as we process the scene information.
[AI] 当我们处理场景信息时。
So what we wanted to do
[AI] 那么我们想做什么呢
is look at this brain-wave component of face detection. the N170.
[AI] 看看这个人脸检测的脑电波成分。N170。
and see if it changed at all
[AI] 看看有没有变化
as a function of where our participants were paying attention --
[AI] 作为参与者关注的功能--
to the scene or the face.
[AI] 到现场或脸上。
And here's what we found.
[AI] 这是我们发现的。
We found that when they paid attention to the face.
[AI] 我们发现当他们注意到脸的时候。
the N170 was larger.
[AI] N170更大。
And when they paid attention to the scene. as you can see in red. it was smaller.
[AI] 当他们注意到现场时。正如你看到的红色。它更小。
And that gap you see between the blue and red lines
[AI] 你看到的蓝线和红线之间的空隙
is pretty powerful.
[AI] 它相当强大。
What it tells us is that attention.
[AI] 它告诉我们的是注意力。
which is really the only thing that changed.
[AI] 这是唯一改变的事情。
since the images they viewed were identical in both cases --
[AI] 因为他们看到的图像在两种情况下是相同的--
attention changes perception.
[AI] 注意力改变感知。
And it does so very fast.
[AI] 而且速度非常快。
Within 170 milliseconds of actually seeing a face.
[AI] 在实际看到人脸的170毫秒内。
In our follow-up studies. we wanted to see what would happen.
[AI] 在我们的后续研究中。我们想看看会发生什么。
how could we perturb or diminish this effect.
[AI] 我们怎样才能干扰或减少这种影响呢。
And our hunch was that if you put people in a very stressful environment.
[AI] 我们的直觉是,如果你把人们置于一个非常有压力的环境中。
if you distract them with disturbing. negative images.
[AI] 如果你用骚扰来分散他们的注意力。负面图像。
images of suffering and violence --
[AI] 痛苦和暴力的图像--
sort of like what you might see on the news. unfortunately --
[AI] 有点像你在新闻上看到的。不幸的是--
that doing this might actually affect their attention.
[AI] 这样做可能会影响他们的注意力。
And that's indeed what we found.
[AI] 这确实是我们发现的。
If we present stressful images while they're doing this experiment.
[AI] 如果我们在他们做这个实验的时候展示有压力的图片。
this gap of attention shrinks. its power diminishes.
[AI] 这种注意力差距缩小了。它的力量减弱了。
So in some of our other studies. we wanted to see. OK. great --
[AI] 所以在我们的其他一些研究中。我们想看看。好啊伟大的--
not great. actually. bad news that stress does this to the brain --
[AI] 不太好。事实上坏消息是压力会对大脑产生影响--
but if it is the case that stress has this powerful influence on attention
[AI] 但是如果压力对注意力有如此强大的影响
through external distraction.
[AI] 通过外部干扰。
what if we don't need external distraction.
[AI] 如果我们不需要外界的干扰呢。
what if we distract ourselves?
[AI] 如果我们分散注意力怎么办?
And to do this.
[AI] 这样做。
we had to basically come up with an experiment
[AI] 我们必须基本上想出一个实验
in which we could have people generate their own mind-wandering.
[AI] 我们可以让人们产生他们自己的思维。
This is having off-task thoughts
[AI] 这是有任务外的想法
while we're engaged in an ongoing task of some sort.
[AI] 当我们正在进行某种持续的任务时。
And the trick to mind-wandering is that essentially. you bore people.
[AI] 从本质上讲,让人走神的诀窍就是这样。你让人厌烦。
So hopefully there's not a lot of
[AI] 所以希望没有太多的问题
mind-wandering happening right now.
[AI] 心不在焉的事情正在发生。
When we bore people.
[AI] 当我们让人厌烦的时候。
people happily generate all kinds of internal content to occupy themselves.
[AI] 人们快乐地生成各种内部内容来占据自己。
So we devised what might be considered
[AI] 所以我们设计了可以考虑的方案
one of the world's most boring experiments.
[AI] 世界上最无聊的实验之一。
All the participants saw were a series of faces on the screen.
[AI] 所有参与者看到的都是屏幕上的一系列面孔。
one after another.
[AI] 一个接一个
They pressed the button every time they saw the face.
[AI] 他们每次看到那张脸就按下按钮。
That was pretty much it.
[AI] 差不多就是这样。
Well. one trick was that sometimes. the face would be upside down.
[AI] 好其中一个诀窍就是有时候。脸会倒过来的。
and it would happen very infrequently.
[AI] 而且这种情况很少发生。
On those trials they were told just to withhold the response.
[AI] 在这些试验中,他们被告知不要做出反应。
Pretty soon. we could tell that they were successfully mind-wandering.
[AI] 很快。我们可以看出,他们成功地实现了心灵漫游。
because they pressed the button when that face was upside down.
[AI] 因为当那张脸倒过来的时候他们按下了按钮。
Even though it's quite plain to see that it was upside down.
[AI] 尽管很明显它是颠倒的。
So we wanted to know what happens when people have mind-wandering.
[AI] 所以我们想知道当人们走神时会发生什么。
And what we found was that.
[AI] 我们发现的是。
very similar to external stress
[AI] 非常类似于外部压力
and external distraction in the environment.
[AI] 以及环境中的外部干扰。
internal distraction. our own mind wandering.
[AI] 内部分心。我们自己的思想在游荡。
also shrinks the gap of attention.
[AI] 也缩小了注意力的差距。
It diminishes attention's power.
[AI] 它削弱了注意力的力量。
So what do all of these studies tell us?
[AI] 那么所有这些研究告诉我们什么呢?
They tell us that attention is very powerful
[AI] 他们告诉我们注意力是非常强大的
in terms of affecting our perception.
[AI] 在影响我们的感知方面。
Even though it's so powerful. it's also fragile and vulnerable.
[AI] 即使它是如此强大。它也很脆弱。
And things like stress and mind-wandering diminish its power.
[AI] 而像压力和心不在焉这样的事情会削弱它的力量。
But that's all in the context of these very controlled laboratory settings.
[AI] 但这一切都是在这些非常受控的实验室环境中进行的。
What about in the real world?
[AI] 在现实世界里呢?
What about in our actual day-to-day life?
[AI] 在我们的日常生活中呢?
What about now?
[AI] 现在呢?
Where is your attention right now?
[AI] 你现在的注意力在哪里?
To kind of bring it back.
[AI] 把它带回来。
I'd like to make a prediction about your attention for the remainder of my talk.
[AI] 我想在接下来的演讲中预测一下你的注意力。
Are you up for it?
[AI] 你准备好了吗?
Here's the prediction.
[AI] 这是预测。
You will be unaware of what I'm saying for four out of the next eight minutes.
[AI] 在接下来的八分钟里,有四分钟你都不知道我在说什么。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
It's a challenge. so pay attention. please.
[AI] 这是一个挑战。所以请注意。请
Now. why am I saying this?
[AI] 现在我为什么这么说?
I'm surely going to assume that you're going to remain seated
[AI] 我肯定会认为你会继续坐着
and. you know. graciously keep your eyes on me as I speak.
[AI] 和你知道的。我说话的时候请你看着我。
But a growing body of literature suggests that we mind-wander.
[AI] 但越来越多的文献表明,我们的思想在游荡。
we take our mind away from the task at hand.
[AI] 我们把注意力从手头的工作上移开。
about 50 percent of our waking moments.
[AI] 大约50%的清醒时刻。
These might be small. little trips that we take away.
[AI] 这些可能很小。我们带走的小旅行。
private thoughts that we have.
[AI] 我们的私人想法。
And when this mind-wandering happens.
[AI] 当这种心不在焉的时候。
it can be problematic.
[AI] 这可能有问题。
Now I don't think there will be any dire consequences
[AI] 现在我不认为会有任何可怕的后果
with you all sitting here today.
[AI] 今天大家都坐在这里。
but imagine a military leader missing four minutes of a military briefing.
[AI] 但想象一下,一位军事领导人错过了四分钟的军事简报。
or a judge missing four minutes of testimony.
[AI] 或者法官缺席了四分钟的证词。
Or a surgeon or firefighter missing any time.
[AI] 或是外科医生或消防员随时失踪。
The consequences in those cases could be dire.
[AI] 这些案件的后果可能是可怕的。
So we might ask why do we do this?
[AI] 所以我们可能会问为什么要这样做?
Why do we mind-wander so much?
[AI] 我们为什么如此心不在焉?
Well. part of the answer is that our mind is an exquisite time-traveling master.
[AI] 好部分原因是我们的大脑是一位精致的时间旅行大师。
It can actually time travel very easily.
[AI] 它实际上可以很容易地进行时间旅行。
If we think of the mind as the metaphor of the music player. we see this.
[AI] 如果我们把心灵想象成音乐播放器的隐喻。我们看到了这一点。
We can rewind the mind to the past
[AI] 我们可以回到过去
to reflect on events that have already happened. right?
[AI] 反思已经发生的事件。正当
Or we can go and fast-future. to plan for the next thing that we want to do.
[AI] 或者我们可以去和快未来。为我们想做的下一件事做计划。
And we land in this mental time-travel mode of the past or the future
[AI] 我们在过去或未来的精神时间旅行模式中着陆
very frequently.
[AI] 非常频繁。
And we land there often without our awareness.
[AI] 我们经常在没有意识的情况下降落在那里。
most times without our awareness. even if we want to be paying attention.
[AI] 大多数时候我们都没有意识到。即使我们想集中注意力。
Think of just the last time you were trying to read a book.
[AI] 回想一下你上一次试着读书的情景。
got to the bottom of the page with no idea what the words were saying.
[AI] 到了页面的底部,却不知道这些词在说什么。
This happens to us.
[AI] 这发生在我们身上。
And when this happens. when we mind-wander without an awareness that we're doing it.
[AI] 当这种情况发生时。当我们心不在焉时,却没有意识到自己在做这件事。
there are consequences.
[AI] 这是有后果的。
We make errors.
[AI] 我们犯错误。
We miss critical information. sometimes.
[AI] 我们错过了关键信息。有时
And we have difficulty making decisions.
[AI] 我们很难做出决定。
What's worse is when we experience stress.
[AI] 更糟糕的是,当我们经历压力时。
When we're in a moment of overwhelm.
[AI] 当我们处于被压倒的时刻。
We don't just reflect on the past when we rewind.
[AI] 当我们倒回往事时,我们不只是回顾过去。
we end up being in the past ruminating. reliving or regretting events that have already happened.
[AI] 我们最终陷入了过去的沉思。重温或后悔已经发生的事情。
Or under stress. we fast-forward the mind.
[AI] 或者在压力下。我们加快了思维。
Not just to productively plan.
[AI] 不仅仅是为了富有成效的计划。
But we end up catastrophizing or worrying about events that haven't happened yet
[AI] 但我们最终会陷入灾难或担心尚未发生的事件
and frankly may never happen.
[AI] 坦率地说,这可能永远不会发生。
So at this point. you might be thinking to yourself. OK.
[AI] 所以在这一点上。你可能在想自己。好啊
mind-wandering's happening a lot. Often. it happens without our awareness.
[AI] 心不在焉的事经常发生。经常它发生在我们没有意识到的情况下。
And under stress. it's even worse --
[AI] 在压力下。更糟--
we mind-wander more powerfully and more often.
[AI] 我们的思维能力更强,更频繁。
Is there anything we can possibly do about this?
[AI] 我们能做些什么吗?
And I'm happy to say the answer is yes.
[AI] 我很高兴地说答案是肯定的。
From our work. we're learning
[AI] 从我们的工作中。我们正在学习
that the opposite of a stressed and wandering mind is a mindful one.
[AI] 压力和游荡的心灵的对立面是正念。
Mindfulness has to do with paying attention
[AI] 正念与注意力有关
to our present-moment experience with awareness.
[AI] 到目前为止,我们都有意识的体验。
And without any kind of emotional reactivity of what's happening.
[AI] 对发生的事情没有任何情感反应。
It's about keeping that button right on play
[AI] 这是关于让按钮保持在正确的位置
to experience the moment-to-moment unfolding of our lives.
[AI] 去体验我们生命中每时每刻的展开。
And mindfulness is not just a concept.
[AI] 正念不仅仅是一个概念。
It's more like practice.
[AI] 这更像是练习。
you have to embody this mindful mode of being to have any benefits.
[AI] 你必须体现这种专注的存在模式才能获得任何好处。
And a lot of the work that we're doing. we're offering people programs
[AI] 还有我们正在做的很多工作。我们正在为人们提供节目
that give our participants a suite of exercises
[AI] 这给我们的参与者提供了一套练习
that they should do daily
[AI] 他们应该每天这样做
in order to cultivate more moments of mindfulness in their life.
[AI] 为了在他们的生活中培养更多的正念时刻。
And for many of the groups that we work with. high-stress groups.
[AI] 对于我们合作的许多团体来说。高压力群体。
like I said -- soldiers. medical professionals --
[AI] 就像我说的,士兵。医务人员--
for them. as we know. mind-wandering can be really dire.
[AI] 为了他们。正如我们所知。心不在焉真的很可怕。
So we want to make sure we offer them very accessible.
[AI] 因此,我们希望确保我们提供的服务非常方便。
low time constraints to optimize the training.
[AI] 优化培训的时间限制较低。
so they can benefit from it.
[AI] 所以他们可以从中受益。
And when we do this. what we can do is track to see what happens.
[AI] 当我们这样做的时候。我们能做的就是跟踪观察发生了什么。
not just in their regular lives
[AI] 不仅仅是在他们的日常生活中
but in the most demanding circumstances that they may have.
[AI] 但在他们可能遇到的最苛刻的情况下。
Why do we want to do this?
[AI] 我们为什么要这样做?
Well. we want to. for example. give it to students right around finals season.
[AI] 好我们想。例如在期末考试季节前后给学生们。
Or we want to give the training to accountants during tax season.
[AI] 或者我们想在纳税季节对会计人员进行培训。
Or soldiers and marines while they're deploying.
[AI] 或者士兵和海军陆战队在部署的时候。
Why is that?
[AI] 为什么呢?
Because those are the moments
[AI] 因为这就是时刻
in which their attention is most likely to be vulnerable.
[AI] 他们的注意力最容易受到伤害。
because of stress and mind-wandering.
[AI] 因为压力和心不在焉。
And those are also the moments
[AI] 这些都是时刻
in which we want their attention to be in peak shape
[AI] 我们希望他们的注意力处于巅峰状态
so they can perform well.
[AI] 所以他们可以表现得很好。
So what we do in our research
[AI] 那么我们在研究中做了什么呢
is we have them take a series of attention tests.
[AI] 我们让他们做了一系列注意力测试。
We track their attention at the beginning of some kind of high-stress interval.
[AI] 我们在某种高应力间隔的开始跟踪他们的注意力。
and then two months later. we track them again.
[AI] 两个月后。我们再次跟踪他们。
and we want to see if there's a difference.
[AI] 我们想看看是否有区别。
Is there any benefit of offering them mindfulness training?
[AI] 为他们提供正念训练有什么好处吗?
Can we protect against the lapses in attention
[AI] 我们能防止注意力的疏忽吗
that might arise over high stress?
[AI] 这可能是由于高压力引起的?
So here's what we find.
[AI] 下面是我们的发现。
Over a high-stress interval.
[AI] 在高应力区间。
unfortunately. the reality is if we don't do anything at all.
[AI] 不幸地现实是如果我们什么都不做。
attention declines.
[AI] 注意力下降。
people are worse at the end of this high-stress interval than before.
[AI] 人们在这段高压力期结束时比以前更糟糕。
But if we offer mindfulness training. we can protect against this.
[AI] 但是如果我们提供正念训练。我们可以防范这种情况。
They stay stable. even though just like the other groups.
[AI] 他们保持稳定。尽管和其他团体一样。
they were experiencing high stress.
[AI] 他们承受着巨大的压力。
And perhaps even more impressive
[AI] 也许更令人印象深刻
is that if people take our training programs
[AI] 如果人们参加我们的培训计划
over. let's say. eight weeks.
[AI] 结束比如说。八周。
and they fully commit to doing the daily mindfulness exercises
[AI] 他们完全致力于每天的正念练习
that allow them to learn how to be in the present moment.
[AI] 这让他们学会如何在当下。
well. they actually get better over time. even though they're in high stress.
[AI] 好随着时间的推移,他们实际上变得更好了。即使他们压力很大。
And this last point is actually important to realize.
[AI] 最后一点其实很重要。
because of what it suggests to us
[AI] 因为它给我们的启示
is that mindfulness exercises are very much like physical exercise:
[AI] 正念练习与体育锻炼非常相似:
if you don't do it. you don't benefit.
[AI] 如果你不这样做。你没有好处。
But if you do engage in mindfulness practice.
[AI] 但是如果你真的进行正念练习。
the more you do. the more you benefit.
[AI] 你做的越多。你受益越多。
And I want to just bring it back to Captain Jeff Davis.
[AI] 我想把它带回给杰夫·戴维斯船长。
As I mentioned to you at the beginning.
[AI] 正如我在开头提到的。
his marines were involved in the very first project
[AI] 他的海军陆战队参与了第一个项目
that we ever did. offering mindfulness training.
[AI] 我们曾经做过的。提供正念训练。
And they showed this exact pattern. which was very heartening.
[AI] 他们展示了这个精确的模式。这非常令人鼓舞。
We had offered them the mindfulness training
[AI] 我们为他们提供了正念训练
right before they were deployed to Iraq.
[AI] 就在他们被部署到伊拉克之前。
And upon their return. Captain Davis shared with us
[AI] 当他们回来的时候。戴维斯上尉和我们分享了
what he was feeling was the benefit of this program.
[AI] 他所感受到的是这个项目的好处。
He said that unlike last time.
[AI] 他说那不像上次。
after this deployment. they were much more present.
[AI] 在此部署之后。他们在场的人多得多。
They were discerning.
[AI] 他们很有洞察力。
They were not as reactive.
[AI] 他们没有那么被动。
And in some cases. they were really more compassionate
[AI] 在某些情况下。他们真的更富有同情心
with the people they were engaging with and each other.
[AI] 与他们交往的人以及彼此。
He said in many ways.
[AI] 他说了很多话。
he felt that the mindfulness training program we offered
[AI] 他觉得我们提供的正念训练计划
gave them a really important tool
[AI] 给了他们一个非常重要的工具
to protect against developing post-traumatic stress disorder
[AI] 防止发展成创伤后应激障碍
and even allowing it to turn into post-traumatic growth.
[AI] 甚至让它变成创伤后的成长。
To us. this was very compelling.
[AI] 对我们来说。这是非常令人信服的。
And it ended up that Captain Davis and I --
[AI] 结果戴维斯上尉和我--
you know. this was about a decade ago. in 2008 --
[AI] 你知道的。这是大约十年前的事了。2008年--
we've kept in touch all these years.
[AI] 这些年来我们一直保持联系。
And he himself has gone on to continue practicing mindfulness
[AI] 他自己也继续练习正念
in a daily way.
[AI] 以日常的方式。
He was promoted to major.
[AI] 他被提升为少校。
he actually then ended up retiring from the Marine Corps.
[AI] 事实上,他后来从海军陆战队退休了。
He went on to get a divorce. to get remarried.
[AI] 他接着离婚了。再婚。
to have a child. to get an MBA.
[AI] 生孩子。获得工商管理硕士学位。
And through all of these challenges and transitions and joys of his life.
[AI] 通过所有这些挑战、转变和他生活中的欢乐。
he kept up with his mindfulness practice.
[AI] 他坚持他的正念练习。
And as fate would have it. just a few months ago.
[AI] 正如命运所赐。就在几个月前。
Captain Davis suffered a massive heart attack. at the age of 46.
[AI] 戴维斯上尉患了严重的心脏病。在46岁的时候。
And he ended up calling me a few weeks ago.
[AI] 几周前他打电话给我。
And he said. "I want to tell you something.
[AI] 他说。“我想告诉你一件事。
I know that the doctors who worked on me. they saved my heart.
[AI] 我知道为我工作的医生。他们救了我的心。
but mindfulness saved my life.
[AI] 但是正念救了我的命。
The presence of mind I had to stop the ambulance
[AI] 头脑清醒时,我不得不停下救护车
that ended up taking me to the hospital." -- himself.
[AI] 最后把我送到了医院。”“他自己。
the clarity of mind he had to notice when there was fear and anxiety happening
[AI] 当恐惧和焦虑发生时,他必须注意头脑的清醒
but not be gripped by it --
[AI] 但不要被它抓住--
he said. "For me. these were the gifts of mindfulness."
[AI] 他说。“对我来说,这些都是正念的天赋。”
And I was so relieved to hear that he was OK.
[AI] 听到他没事,我很欣慰。
But really heartened to see that he had transformed his own attention.
[AI] 但看到他改变了自己的注意力,他真的很振奋。
He went from having a really bad boss --
[AI] 他失去了一个非常糟糕的老板--
an attention system that nearly drove him off a bridge --
[AI] 差点把他从桥上赶下来的注意力系统--
to one that was an exquisite leader and guide.
[AI] 给一位杰出的领袖和向导。
and saved his life.
[AI] 救了他的命。
So I want to actually end by sharing my call to action to all of you.
[AI] 所以我想在结束时向大家分享我的行动呼吁。
And here it is.
[AI] 就在这里。
Pay attention to your attention.
[AI] 注意你的注意力。
Alright?
[AI] 好吧
Pay attention to your attention
[AI] 注意你的注意力
and incorporate mindfulness training as part of your daily wellness toolkit.
[AI] 并将正念训练作为日常健康工具包的一部分。
in order to tame your own wandering mind
[AI] 为了驯服你自己游荡的心灵
and to allow your attention to be a trusted guide in your own life.
[AI] 让你的注意力成为你生活中值得信赖的向导。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)