声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
This room may appear to be holding 600 people.
[AI] 这个房间似乎可以容纳600人。
but there's actually so many more.
[AI] 但事实上还有很多。
because within each one of us. there is a multitude of personalities.
[AI] 因为在我们每个人的内心。有许多个性。
I have two primary personalities that have been in conflict and conversation within me
[AI] 我有两个主要的性格,在我内心一直处于冲突和对话之中
since I was a little girl.
[AI] 从我还是个小女孩起。
I call them "the mystic" and "the warrior."
[AI] 我称他们为“神秘主义者”和“战士”
I was born into a family of politically active intellectual atheists.
[AI] 我出生在一个政治活跃的知识无神论者家庭。
There was this equation in my family that went something like this:
[AI] 在我的家庭中有这样一个等式:
if you are intelligent.
[AI] 如果你聪明的话。
you therefore are not spiritual.
[AI] 因此你不是属灵的。
I was the freak of the family.
[AI] 我是家里的怪胎。
I was this weird little kid
[AI] 我是个奇怪的小孩
who wanted to have deep talks about the worlds that might exist
[AI] 谁想深入讨论可能存在的世界
beyond the ones we perceive with our senses.
[AI] 超越我们用感官感知到的。
I wanted to know
[AI] 我想知道
if what we human beings see and hear and think
[AI] 如果我们人类的所见所闻所想
is a full and accurate picture of reality.
[AI] 是对现实的全面而准确的描述。
So. looking for answers.
[AI] 所以寻找答案。
I went to Catholic mass; I tagged along with my neighbors.
[AI] 我参加了天主教弥撒;我和我的邻居一起走。
I read Sartre and Socrates.
[AI] 我读过萨特和苏格拉底。
And then a wonderful thing happened when I was in high school:
[AI] 然后在我高中的时候发生了一件奇妙的事情:
gurus from the East started washing up on the shores of America.
[AI] 来自东方的大师们开始在美国海岸上洗刷。
And I said to myself. "I wanna get me one of them."
[AI] 我对自己说。“我想买一个。”
And ever since. I've been walking the mystic path.
[AI] 从那以后。我一直在走神秘之路。
trying to peer beyond what Albert Einstein called
[AI] 试图超越阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦所说的
the "optical delusion" of everyday consciousness.
[AI] 日常意识的“视觉错觉”。
So what did he mean by this? I'll show you.
[AI] 那么他这是什么意思?我给你看看。
Take a breath right now of this clear air in this room.
[AI] 现在就呼吸一下房间里的清新空气。
Now. see this strange.
[AI] 现在看到这个奇怪的。
underwater-coral-reef-looking thing?
[AI] 水下珊瑚礁的样子?
It's actually a person's trachea.
[AI] 它实际上是一个人的气管。
And those colored globs are microbes
[AI] 那些彩色球体是微生物
that are actually swimming around in this room right now.
[AI] 他们现在在这个房间里游泳。
all around us.
[AI] 在我们周围。
If we're blind to this simple biology.
[AI] 如果我们对这个简单的生物学视而不见。
imagine what we're missing at the smallest subatomic level right now
[AI] 想象一下我们现在在最小的亚原子水平上缺少了什么
and at the grandest cosmic levels.
[AI] 在最伟大的宇宙层次上。
My years as a mystic have made me question almost all my assumptions.
[AI] 我作为一名神秘主义者的岁月使我对几乎所有的假设都产生了疑问。
They've made me a proud "I-don't-know-it-all."
[AI] 他们让我成为一个骄傲的“我不知道一切。”
Now. when the mystic part of me jabbers on and on like this.
[AI] 现在当我身上神秘的部分像这样喋喋不休时。
the warrior rolls her eyes.
[AI] 战士翻白眼。
She's concerned about what's happening in this world right now.
[AI] 她很关心现在这个世界上发生的事情。
She's worried.
[AI] 她很担心。
She says. "Excuse me. I'm pissed off.
[AI] 她说。“对不起,我很生气。
and I know a few things.
[AI] 我知道一些事情。
and we better get busy about them right now."
[AI] 我们最好现在就忙起来。"
I've spent my life as a warrior.
[AI] 我的一生都是作为一名战士度过的。
working for women's issues.
[AI] 为妇女问题工作。
working on political campaigns.
[AI] 从事政治运动。
being an activist for the environment.
[AI] 成为一名环保活动家。
And it can be sort of crazymaking.
[AI] 这可能有点疯狂。
housing both the mystic and the warrior in one body.
[AI] 将神秘主义者和战士合二为一。
I've always been attracted to those rare people
[AI] 我总是被那些稀有的人所吸引
who pull that off.
[AI] 是谁干的。
who devote their lives to humanity
[AI] 为人类献身的人
with the grit of the warrior and the grace of the mystic --
[AI] 带着战士的勇气和神秘主义者的优雅--
people like Martin Luther King. Jr..
[AI] 人们喜欢马丁·路德·金。年少者。。
who wrote. "I can never be what I ought to be
[AI] 谁写的。“我永远不可能成为我应该成为的人
until you are what you ought to be."
[AI] 直到你成为你应该成为的人。"
"This." he wrote. "is the interrelated structure of reality."
[AI] “这个。”他写道。“是现实的相互关联的结构。”
Then Mother Teresa. another mystic warrior. who said.
[AI] 然后特蕾莎修女。另一位神秘战士。谁说的。
"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family
[AI] “世界的问题是我们画出了我们家庭的圈子
too small."
[AI] 太小了。"
And Nelson Mandela. who lives by the African concept of "ubuntu."
[AI] 还有纳尔逊·曼德拉。他以非洲的“ubuntu”概念为生
which means "I need you in order to be me.
[AI] 意思是“我需要你做我自己。
and you need me in order to be you."
[AI] 你需要我做你自己。"
Now. we all love to trot out these three mystic warriors
[AI] 现在我们都喜欢小跑这三位神秘战士
as if they were born with a "saint" gene.
[AI] 好像他们生来就有“圣人”的基因。
But we all actually have the same capacity that they do.
[AI] 但事实上,我们都有和他们一样的能力。
And we need to do their work now.
[AI] 我们现在需要做他们的工作。
I'm deeply disturbed
[AI] 我深感不安
by the ways in which all of our cultures are demonizing "the other."
[AI] 我们所有的文化都在妖魔化“他者”
by the voice we're giving to the most divisive among us.
[AI] 通过我们给我们中最具分裂性的人的声音。
Listen to these titles of some of the best-selling books
[AI] 听一些畅销书的标题
from both sides of the political divide here in the US:
[AI] 来自美国政治分歧的双方:
"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder."
[AI] “自由主义是一种精神障碍。”
"Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot."
[AI] “拉什·林堡是个大胖子。”
"Pinheads and Patriots."
[AI] “针头和爱国者。”
"Arguing with Idiots."
[AI] “和白痴争论。”
They're supposedly tongue-in-cheek.
[AI] 据说他们在开玩笑。
but they're actually dangerous.
[AI] 但它们实际上很危险。
Now here's a title that may sound familiar.
[AI] 现在有一个听起来很熟悉的标题。
but whose author may surprise you:
[AI] 但谁的作者可能会让你惊讶:
"Four and a Half Years of Struggle Against Lies. Stupidity and Cowardice."
[AI] “与谎言斗争了四年半。愚蠢和懦弱。”
Who wrote that?
[AI] 谁写的?
That was Adolf Hitler's first title for "Mein Kampf" -- "My Struggle" --
[AI] 这是阿道夫·希特勒的第一个“我的奋斗”头衔--
the book that launched the Nazi Party.
[AI] 发动纳粹党的那本书。
The worst eras in human history.
[AI] 人类历史上最糟糕的时代。
whether in Cambodia or Germany or Rwanda --
[AI] 无论是在柬埔寨、德国还是卢旺达--
they start like this. with negative otherizing.
[AI] 他们是这样开始的。用否定的他者化。
And then they morph into violent extremism.
[AI] 然后他们演变成暴力极端主义。
This is why I'm launching a new initiative.
[AI] 这就是为什么我要发起一项新计划。
And it's to help all of us. myself included.
[AI] 这是为了帮助我们所有人。包括我自己在内。
to counteract the tendency to otherize.
[AI] 抵消差异化倾向。
And I realize we're all busy people.
[AI] 我意识到我们都很忙。
so don't worry. you can do this on a lunch break.
[AI] 所以别担心。你可以在午休时间做这件事。
I'm calling my initiative "Take the Other to Lunch."
[AI] 我把我的倡议称为“带另一个去吃午饭。”
If you are a Republican.
[AI] 如果你是共和党人。
you can take a Democrat to lunch.
[AI] 你可以带民主党人去吃午饭。
Or if you're a Democrat.
[AI] 或者如果你是民主党人。
think of it as taking a Republican to lunch.
[AI] 把它想象成带一个共和党人去吃午饭。
Now. if the idea of taking any of these people to lunch
[AI] 现在如果你想带这些人去吃午饭
makes you lose your appetite.
[AI] 让你失去食欲。
I suggest you start more local.
[AI] 我建议你从本地开始。
because there is no shortage of the other right in your own neighborhood:
[AI] 因为在你自己的社区里不缺少其他权利:
maybe that person who worships at the mosque
[AI] 也许是那个在清真寺做礼拜的人
or the church or the synagogue down the street;
[AI] 或者街上的教堂或犹太教堂;
or someone from the other side of the abortion conflict;
[AI] 或者来自堕胎冲突另一方的人;
or maybe your brother-in-law who doesn't believe in global warming --
[AI] 或者是你不相信全球变暖的姐夫--
anyone whose lifestyle may frighten you
[AI] 任何人的生活方式都可能让你害怕
or whose point of view makes smoke come out of your ears.
[AI] 或者是谁的观点让你的耳朵冒烟。
A couple of weeks ago.
[AI] 几周前。
I took a conservative Tea Party woman to lunch.
[AI] 我带了一位保守的茶党妇女去吃午饭。
Now. on paper. she passed my "smoking ears" test:
[AI] 现在在纸上。她通过了我的“吸烟耳朵”测试:
she's an activist from the Right.
[AI] 她是右翼的活动家。
and I'm an activist from the Left.
[AI] 我是一名左翼活动家。
We used some guidelines to keep our conversation elevated.
[AI] 我们使用了一些指导方针来提高我们的谈话质量。
And you can use them. too.
[AI] 你可以使用它们。也
because I know you're all going to take an other to lunch.
[AI] 因为我知道你们都要带另一个人去吃午饭。
So first of all. decide on a goal:
[AI] 所以首先。确定一个目标:
to get to know one person from a group you may have negatively stereotyped.
[AI] 要从一个群体中认识一个人,你可能会有消极的刻板印象。
And then. before you get together.
[AI] 然后。在你们聚在一起之前。
agree on some ground rules.
[AI] 就一些基本规则达成一致。
My Tea Party lunch mate and I came up with these:
[AI] 我的茶话会午餐伙伴和我想出了这些:
"Don't persuade. defend or interrupt;
[AI] “不要劝说。辩护或打断;
be curious. be conversational. be real;
[AI] 要好奇。要健谈。要真实;
and listen."
[AI] 听我说。"
From there. we dove in. and we used these questions:
[AI] 从那里开始。我们加入了。我们使用了这些问题:
"Share some of your life experiences with me --
[AI] “与我分享你的一些生活经历--
what issues deeply concern you?
[AI] 你最关心的问题是什么?
And what have you always wanted to ask someone from the other side?"
[AI] 你一直想问对方什么?"
My lunch partner and I came away with some really important insights.
[AI] 我的午餐搭档和我带来了一些非常重要的见解。
and I'm going to share just one with you.
[AI] 我只想和你们分享一个。
I think it has relevance to any problem between people anywhere.
[AI] 我认为它与任何地方的人与人之间的任何问题都有关联。
I asked her why her side makes such outrageous allegations and lies
[AI] 我问她为什么她的一方做出如此无耻的指控和谎言
about my side.
[AI] 关于我这边。
"What?" she wanted to know.
[AI] “什么?”她想知道。
"Like. we're a bunch of elitist. morally corrupt terrorist-lovers."
[AI] “就像。我们是一群精英。道德败坏的恐怖分子爱好者。”
Well. she was shocked.
[AI] 好她很震惊。
She thought my side beat up on her side way more often --
[AI] 她认为我这一方比她那一方打得更频繁--
that we called them brainless. gun-toting racists.
[AI] 我们称之为无脑。持枪的种族主义者。
And we both marveled at the labels
[AI] 我们都对这些标签感到惊讶
that fit none of the people we actually know.
[AI] 这不适合我们真正认识的人。
And since we had established some trust.
[AI] 因为我们建立了一些信任。
we believed in each other's sincerity.
[AI] 我们相信彼此的真诚。
We agreed we'd speak up in our own communities when we witnessed the kind of "otherizing" talk
[AI] 我们同意,当我们看到这种“他者化”的谈话时,我们会在自己的社区里大声说话
that can wound and fester into paranoia and then be used by those on the fringes
[AI] 这会伤害并化脓成偏执狂,然后被边缘人群所利用
to incite.
[AI] 煽动。
By the end of our lunch. we acknowledged each other's openness.
[AI] 午餐结束时。我们承认彼此的坦诚。
Neither of us had tried to change the other.
[AI] 我们俩都没有试图改变对方。
but we also hadn't pretended
[AI] 但我们也没有假装
that our differences were just going to melt away
[AI] 我们的分歧即将消失
after a lunch.
[AI] 午饭后。
Instead. we had taken first steps together.
[AI] 相反我们一起迈出了第一步。
past our knee-jerk reactions
[AI] 过去我们的下意识反应
to the ubuntu place.
[AI] 去ubuntu的地方。
which is the only place
[AI] 哪一个是唯一的地方
where solutions to our most intractable-seeming problems
[AI] 我们最棘手的问题的解决方案在哪里
will be found.
[AI] 将被发现。
So who should you invite to lunch?
[AI] 那么你应该邀请谁共进午餐呢?
Next time you catch yourself in the act of otherizing.
[AI] 下一次你发现自己在做“他者化”。
that'll be your clue.
[AI] 那将是你的线索。
And what might happen at your lunch?
[AI] 你午餐时会发生什么?
Will the heavens open
[AI] 天会开吗
and "We are the World" play over the restaurant sound system?
[AI] 和“我们是世界”在餐厅音响系统上播放?
Probably not.
[AI] 可能不会。
Because ubuntu work is slow. and it's difficult.
[AI] 因为ubuntu的工作很慢。这很难。
It's two people dropping the pretense of being know-it-alls.
[AI] 这是两个人放下无所不知的伪装。
It's two people. two warriors. dropping their weapons
[AI] 是两个人。两个勇士。放下武器
and reaching toward each other.
[AI] 并且彼此接近。
Here's how the great Persian poet Rumi put it:
[AI] 伟大的波斯诗人鲁米是这样说的:
"Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing.
[AI] “超越了错误行为和正确行为的概念。
there is a field.
[AI] 有一块田。
I'll meet you there."
[AI] 我在那儿等你。"
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)