声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
There's an ancient and universal concept that words have power.
[AI] 有一个古老而普遍的概念,词语具有力量。
that spells exist.
[AI] 咒语是存在的。
and that if we could only pronounce the right words.
[AI] 如果我们能说出正确的单词。
then -- whoosh! -- you know. an avalanche would come
[AI] 然后--whoosh!--你知道的。雪崩就要来了
and wipe out the hobbits. right?
[AI] 消灭霍比特人。正当
So this is a very attractive idea.
[AI] 所以这是一个非常有吸引力的想法。
because we're very lazy. like the Sorcerer's Apprentice.
[AI] 因为我们很懒。就像巫师的学徒。
or the world's greatest computer programmer.
[AI] 或者是世界上最伟大的计算机程序员。
This idea has a lot of traction with us.
[AI] 这个想法对我们很有吸引力。
We love the idea that words. when pronounced.
[AI] 我们喜欢用语言表达的想法。发音时。
are little more than pure information.
[AI] 只不过是纯粹的信息。
but they evoke physical action in the real world
[AI] 但它们唤起了现实世界中的身体活动
that helps us do work.
[AI] 这有助于我们工作。
So. of course. with lots of programmable computers
[AI] 所以当然有很多可编程计算机
and robots around.
[AI] 还有周围的机器人。
this is an easy thing to picture.
[AI] 这是一件容易想象的事情。
How many of you know what I'm talking about?
[AI] 你们有多少人知道我在说什么?
Raise your right hand.
[AI] 举起你的右手。
How many don't know what I'm talking about?
[AI] 有多少人不知道我在说什么?
Raise your left hand.
[AI] 举起你的左手。
So that's great. So that was too easy.
[AI] 那太好了。所以那太容易了。
You guys have very insecure computers. OK?
[AI] 你们的电脑很不安全。好啊
So now the thing is. this is a different kind of spell.
[AI] 所以现在的问题是。这是另一种咒语。
This is a computer program made of zeros and ones.
[AI] 这是一个由0和1组成的计算机程序。
It can be pronounced on a computer. does something like this.
[AI] 它可以在计算机上发音。做类似的事情。
The important thing is we can write it in a high-level language.
[AI] 重要的是,我们可以用高级语言编写它。
A computer magician can write this thing.
[AI] 电脑魔术师会写这东西。
It can be compiled into zeros and ones and pronounced by a computer.
[AI] 它可以被编译成0和1,并由计算机发音。
And that's what makes computers powerful.
[AI] 这就是电脑强大的原因。
these high-level languages that can be compiled.
[AI] 这些高级语言可以被编译。
And so. I'm here to tell you. you don't need a computer
[AI] 等等。我是来告诉你的。你不需要电脑
to actually have a spell.
[AI] 实际上有一个咒语。
In fact. what you can do at the molecular level
[AI] 事实上在分子水平上你能做什么
is that if you encode information --
[AI] 如果你对信息进行编码--
you encode a spell or program as molecules --
[AI] 你将咒语或程序编码为分子--
then physics can actually directly interpret that information
[AI] 那么物理实际上可以直接解释这些信息
and run a program.
[AI] 然后运行一个程序。
It's what happens in proteins.
[AI] 这是蛋白质中发生的事情。
When this amino-acid sequence gets pronounced as atoms.
[AI] 当这个氨基酸序列以原子的形式出现时。
these little letters are sticky for each other.
[AI] 这些小字母彼此粘在一起。
It collapses into a three-dimensional shape that turns it into a nanomachine
[AI] 它会折叠成三维形状,然后变成一台纳米机器
that actually cuts DNA.
[AI] 这实际上切割了DNA。
The interesting thing is that if you change the sequence.
[AI] 有趣的是,如果你改变顺序。
you change the three-dimensional folding.
[AI] 您可以更改三维折叠。
You get. now. a DNA stapler. instead.
[AI] 你得到了。现在DNA订书机。相反
These are the kind of molecular programs we want to be able to write.
[AI] 这些是我们希望能够编写的分子程序。
The problem is. we don't know
[AI] 问题是。我们不知道
the machine language of proteins or have a compiler for proteins.
[AI] 蛋白质的机器语言或有蛋白质的编译器。
So I've joined a growing band of people
[AI] 所以我加入了一个不断壮大的群体
that try to make molecular spells using DNA.
[AI] 试图用DNA制造分子咒语。
We use DNA because it's cheaper. it's easier to handle.
[AI] 我们使用DNA是因为它更便宜。这更容易处理。
it's something we understand really well --
[AI] 这是我们非常了解的事情--
so well. in fact. that we think we can actually write
[AI] 太好了。事实上我们认为我们可以写
programming languages for DNA and have molecular compilers.
[AI] DNA和DNA的编程语言有分子编译器。
So then. we think we can do that.
[AI] 那么。我们认为我们可以做到。
One of my first questions doing this was:
[AI] 我做这件事的第一个问题是:
How can you make an arbitrary shape or pattern out of DNA?
[AI] 你怎么能用DNA做出任意形状或图案?
I decided to use a type of DNA origami.
[AI] 我决定用一种DNA折纸。
where you take a long strand of DNA
[AI] 你从中提取一长串DNA
and fold it into whatever shape or pattern you might want.
[AI] 把它折叠成你想要的任何形状或图案。
So here's a shape.
[AI] 这是一个形状。
I actually spent about a year in my home in my underwear. coding.
[AI] 事实上,我穿着内衣在家里呆了大约一年。编码。
like Linus [Torvalds]. in that picture before.
[AI] 像莱纳斯[托瓦尔兹]。在那张照片里。
This program takes a shape and spits out 250 DNA sequences.
[AI] 这个程序会形成一个形状并吐出250个DNA序列。
These short DNA sequences are what are going to fold the long strand
[AI] 这些短的DNA序列将折叠长链
into this shape that we want to make.
[AI] 变成我们想要的形状。
So you send an e-mail with these sequences in it
[AI] 因此,您发送一封包含这些序列的电子邮件
to a company.
[AI] 给一家公司。
and the company pronounces them on a DNA synthesizer.
[AI] 公司通过DNA合成器发出声音。
a machine about the size of a photocopier.
[AI] 复印机大小的机器。
And they take your e-mail.
[AI] 他们会拿走你的电子邮件。
and every letter in your e-mail. they replace with a 30-atom cluster --
[AI] 还有你电子邮件中的每一封信。它们被一个30原子团取代--
one for each letter. A. T. C and G in DNA.
[AI] 每封信一封。DNA中的A、T、C和G。
They string them up in the right sequence.
[AI] 他们把它们按正确的顺序串起来。
and then they send them back to you via FedEx.
[AI] 然后他们通过联邦快递把它们寄回给你。
So you get 250 of these in the mail in little tubes.
[AI] 所以你可以在邮件中找到250个这样的小管子。
I mix them together. add a little bit of salt water.
[AI] 我把它们混在一起。加一点盐水。
and then add this long strand I was telling you about.
[AI] 然后再加上我刚才跟你说的这条长线。
that I've stolen from a virus.
[AI] 我从病毒里偷来的。
And then what happens is.
[AI] 然后发生的是。
you heat this whole thing up to about boiling.
[AI] 你把整个东西加热到大约沸腾。
You cool it down to room temperature.
[AI] 你把它冷却到室温。
and as you do. those short strands do the following thing:
[AI] 和你一样。这些短链可以做以下事情:
each one of them binds that long strand in one place.
[AI] 他们每个人都把那条长长的绳子绑在一个地方。
and then has a second half that binds that long strand in a distant place.
[AI] 然后是另一半,它把那条长长的绳子绑在远处。
and brings those two parts of the long strand
[AI] 并带来了这两部分的长链
close together so they stick together.
[AI] 靠得很近,所以它们粘在一起。
So the net effect of all 250 of these strands
[AI] 所以所有250股的净效应
is to fold the long strand into the shape you're looking for.
[AI] 就是把长链折成你想要的形状。
It'll approximate that shape.
[AI] 它将近似于那个形状。
We do this for real. in the test tube.
[AI] 我们这样做是真的。在试管里。
In each little drop of water. you get 50 billion of these guys.
[AI] 在每一滴水里。这些家伙有500亿。
With a microscope. you can see them on a surface.
[AI] 用显微镜。你可以在表面上看到它们。
The neat thing is if you change the sequence and change the spell.
[AI] 最妙的是,如果你改变了序列,改变了咒语。
just change the sequence of the staples.
[AI] 只要改变订书钉的顺序就行了。
you can make a molecule that looks like this.
[AI] 你可以制造一个像这样的分子。
And. you know. he likes to hang out with his buddies.
[AI] 和你知道的。他喜欢和他的朋友们在一起。
A lot of them are actually pretty good.
[AI] 其实很多都很不错。
If you change the spell again. you change the sequence again.
[AI] 如果你再次改变咒语。你再改变一下顺序。
you get really nice. 130-nanometer triangles.
[AI] 你变得很好。130纳米三角形。
If you do it again.
[AI] 如果你再这样做。
you can get arbitrary patterns.
[AI] 您可以获得任意模式。
So on a rectangle. you can paint patterns of North and South America.
[AI] 在一个矩形上。你可以画南北美洲的图案。
or the words. "DNA."
[AI] 或是文字。“DNA。”
So that's DNA origami. That's one way.
[AI] 这就是DNA折纸。这是一种方式。
There are many ways of casting molecular spells using DNA.
[AI] 使用DNA施展分子法术的方法有很多种。
What we really want to do in the end
[AI] 我们到底想做什么
is learn how to program self-assembly so we can build anything. right?
[AI] 就是学习如何编程自组装,这样我们就可以构建任何东西。正当
We want to be able to build technological artifacts
[AI] 我们希望能够构建技术工件
that are maybe good for the world.
[AI] 这也许对世界有好处。
We want to learn how to build biological artifacts.
[AI] 我们想学习如何构建生物制品。
like people and whales and trees.
[AI] 就像人、鲸鱼和树一样。
And if it's the case that we can reach that level of complexity.
[AI] 如果是这样的话,我们可以达到那种复杂程度。
if our ability to program molecules gets to be that good.
[AI] 如果我们对分子编程的能力变得那么好。
then that will truly be magic.
[AI] 那才是真正的魔法。
Thank you very much.
[AI] 非常感谢你。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)