声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
I have a confession to make.
[AI] 我要坦白。
As a scientist and engineer. I've focused on efficiency for many years.
[AI] 作为一名科学家和工程师。多年来我一直关注效率。
But efficiency can be a cult.
[AI] 但效率可能是一种崇拜。
and today I'd like to tell you about a journey
[AI] 今天我想告诉你一次旅行
that moved me out of the cult and back to a far richer reality.
[AI] 这让我走出了邪教,回到了一个更加丰富的现实。
A few years ago. after finishing my Ph.D. in London. I moved to Boston.
[AI] 几年前。在伦敦完成博士学位后。我搬到波士顿去了。
I lived in Boston and worked in Cambridge.
[AI] 我住在波士顿,在剑桥工作。
I bought a racing bicycle that summer.
[AI] 那年夏天我买了一辆赛车。
and I bicycled every day to work.
[AI] 我每天骑自行车上班。
To find my way. I used my phone.
[AI] 找到我的路。我用了我的电话。
It sent me over Mass. Ave.. Massachusetts Avenue.
[AI] 它把我吓得半死。大道。。马萨诸塞大道。
the shortest route from Boston to Cambridge.
[AI] 从波士顿到剑桥的最短路线。
But after a month
[AI] 但是一个月后
that I was cycling every day on the car-packed Mass. Ave..
[AI] 我每天都在车上骑自行车。大道。。
I took a different route one day.
[AI] 有一天我走了另一条路。
I'm not entirely sure why I took a different route that day. a detour.
[AI] 我不太清楚那天为什么我选择了不同的路线。绕道。
I just remember a feeling of surprise;
[AI] 我只记得一种惊讶的感觉;
surprise at finding a street with no cars.
[AI] 发现一条没有汽车的街道时感到惊讶。
as opposed to the nearby Mass. Ave. full of cars;
[AI] 与附近的质量相反。满大街都是汽车;
surprise at finding a street draped by leaves and surrounded by trees.
[AI] 惊奇地发现一条被树叶覆盖、树木环绕的街道。
But after the feeling of surprise. I felt shame.
[AI] 但是在感到惊讶之后。我感到羞愧。
How could I have been so blind?
[AI] 我怎么会这么瞎?
For an entire month.
[AI] 整整一个月。
I was so trapped in my mobile app
[AI] 我被困在我的手机应用程序里
that a journey to work became one thing only:
[AI] 工作之旅成了一件事:
the shortest path.
[AI] 最短路径。
In this single journey. there was no thought
[AI] 在这一次旅程中。没有想到
of enjoying the road.
[AI] 享受旅途的乐趣。
no pleasure in connecting with nature.
[AI] 与大自然联系没有乐趣。
no possibility of looking people in the eyes.
[AI] 不可能直视别人的眼睛。
And why?
[AI] 为什么?
Because I was saving a minute out of my commute.
[AI] 因为我节省了一分钟的通勤时间。
Now let me ask you: Am I alone here?
[AI] 现在让我问你:我一个人在这里吗?
How many of you have never used a mapping app for finding directions?
[AI] 你们中有多少人从未使用过地图应用程序来寻找方向?
Most of you. if not all. have.
[AI] 你们大多数人。如果不是全部的话。有
And don't get me wrong -- mapping apps are the greatest game-changer
[AI] 别误会,地图应用是最伟大的游戏改变者
for encouraging people to explore the city.
[AI] 鼓励人们探索城市。
You take your phone out and you know immediately where to go.
[AI] 你拿出手机,马上就知道该去哪里了。
However. the app also assumes
[AI] 然而该应用程序还假设
there are only a handful of directions to the destination.
[AI] 到目的地只有几个方向。
It has the power to make those handful of directions
[AI] 它有能力制定这些方向
the definitive direction to that destination.
[AI] 到达目的地的明确方向。
After that experience. I changed.
[AI] 在那次经历之后。我变了。
I changed my research from traditional data-mining
[AI] 我改变了我对传统数据挖掘的研究
to understanding how people experience the city.
[AI] 了解人们对城市的体验。
I used computer science tools
[AI] 我使用计算机科学工具
to replicate social science experiments at scale. at web scale.
[AI] 大规模复制社会科学实验。网络规模。
I became captivated by the beauty and genius
[AI] 我被美丽和天才迷住了
of traditional social science experiments
[AI] 传统社会科学实验的创新
done by Jane Jacobs. Stanley Milgram. Kevin Lynch.
[AI] 由简·雅各布斯完成。斯坦利·米尔格拉姆。凯文·林奇。
The result of that research has been the creation of new maps.
[AI] 这项研究的结果是创造了新的地图。
maps where you don't only find the shortest path. the blue one.
[AI] 在地图上,您不仅可以找到最短路径。蓝色的那个。
but also the most enjoyable path.
[AI] 也是最愉快的一条路。
the red one.
[AI] 红色的那个。
How was that possible?
[AI] 这怎么可能?
Einstein once said.
[AI] 爱因斯坦曾经说过。
"Logic will get you from A to B.
[AI] “逻辑会把你从A带到B。
Imagination will take you everywhere."
[AI] 想象力会带你去任何地方。"
So with a bit of imagination.
[AI] 所以有点想象力。
we needed to understand
[AI] 我们需要理解
which parts of the city people find beautiful.
[AI] 城市的哪些地方人们觉得很美。
At the University of Cambridge. with colleagues.
[AI] 在剑桥大学。和同事们一起。
we thought about this simple experiment.
[AI] 我们考虑了这个简单的实验。
If I were to show you these two urban scenes.
[AI] 如果我给你看这两个城市场景。
and I were to ask you which one is more beautiful.
[AI] 我想问你哪一个更漂亮。
which one would you say?
[AI] 你会说哪一个?
Don't be shy.
[AI] 别害羞。
Who says A? Who says B?
[AI] 谁说的是A?谁说B?
Brilliant.
[AI] 明亮的
Based on that idea.
[AI] 基于这个想法。
we built a crowdsourcing platform.
[AI] 我们建立了一个众包平台。
a web game.
[AI] 网络游戏。
Players are shown pairs of urban scenes.
[AI] 向玩家展示成对的城市场景。
and they're asked to choose which one is more beautiful. quiet and happy.
[AI] 他们被要求选择哪一个更漂亮。安静而快乐。
Based on thousands of user votes.
[AI] 基于成千上万的用户投票。
then we are able to see where consensus emerges.
[AI] 然后我们就能看到在哪里出现了共识。
We are able to see which are the urban scenes
[AI] 我们可以看到哪些是城市场景
that make people happy.
[AI] 让人们快乐。
After that work. I joined Yahoo Labs.
[AI] 工作之后。我加入了雅虎实验室。
and I teamed up with Luca and Rossano.
[AI] 我与卢卡和罗萨诺合作。
and together. we aggregated those winning locations in London
[AI] 一起。我们汇总了伦敦的获奖地点
to build a new map of the city.
[AI] 绘制一幅新的城市地图。
a cartography weighted for human emotions.
[AI] 为人类情感加权的地图。
On this cartography. you're not only able to see and connect
[AI] 在这张地图上。你不仅能够看到和连接
from point A to point B the shortest segments.
[AI] 从点A到点B是最短的线段。
but you're also able to see the happy segment.
[AI] 但你也能看到快乐的部分。
the beautiful path. the quiet path.
[AI] 美丽的小径。安静的小路。
In tests. participants found the happy. the beautiful. the quiet path
[AI] 在测试中。参与者们感到很高兴。这个城市很漂亮。幽静的小路
far more enjoyable than the shortest one.
[AI] 比最短的要有趣得多。
and that just by adding a few minutes to travel time.
[AI] 只需增加几分钟的旅行时间。
Participants also love to attach memories to places.
[AI] 参与者也喜欢把记忆附在某个地方。
Shared memories -- that's where the old BBC building was;
[AI] 共同的记忆——那就是旧BBC大楼所在的地方;
and personal memories -- that's where I gave my first kiss.
[AI] 还有我的个人记忆,那是我初吻的地方。
They also recalled how some paths smelled and sounded.
[AI] 他们还回忆起一些小路的气味和声音。
So what if we had a mapping tool
[AI] 那么,如果我们有一个映射工具呢
that would return the most enjoyable routes
[AI] 这将返回最愉快的路线
based not only on aesthetics
[AI] 不仅基于美学
but also based on smell. sound. and memories?
[AI] 但也基于气味。声音还有记忆?
That's where our research is going right now.
[AI] 这就是我们现在研究的方向。
More generally. my research.
[AI] 更一般地说。我的研究。
what it tries to do is avoid the danger of the single path.
[AI] 它试图做的是避免单一路径的危险。
to avoid robbing people of fully experiencing the city in which they live.
[AI] 避免剥夺人们对所居住城市的充分体验。
Walk the path through the park. not through the car park.
[AI] 沿着小路穿过公园。不要穿过停车场。
and you have an entirely different path.
[AI] 你有一条完全不同的道路。
Walk the path full of people you love
[AI] 走满你爱的人的路
and not full of cars.
[AI] 而且车不多。
and you have an entirely different path.
[AI] 你有一条完全不同的道路。
It's that simple.
[AI] 就这么简单。
I would like to end with this thought:
[AI] 最后,我想提出以下想法:
do you remember "The Truman Show?"
[AI] 你还记得“杜鲁门秀”吗
It's a media satire in which a real person
[AI] 这是一部媒体讽刺剧,里面有一个真实的人
doesn't know he's living in a fabricated world.
[AI] 不知道他生活在一个虚构的世界里。
Perhaps we live in a world fabricated for efficiency.
[AI] 也许我们生活在一个为效率而创造的世界里。
Look at some of your daily habits.
[AI] 看看你的一些日常习惯。
and as Truman did in the movie. escape the fabricated world.
[AI] 就像杜鲁门在电影里做的那样。逃离虚构的世界。
Why?
[AI] 为什么?
Well. if you think that adventure is dangerous. try routine. It's deadly.
[AI] 好如果你认为冒险是危险的。试试常规。这是致命的。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)