声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
In the early days of Twitter.
[AI] 在Twitter的早期。
it was like a place of radical de-shaming.
[AI] 这就像是一个彻底消除羞耻感的地方。
People would admit shameful secrets about themselves.
[AI] 人们会承认自己的可耻秘密。
and other people would say. "Oh my God. I'm exactly the same."
[AI] 其他人会说。“哦,我的天啊,我完全一样。”
Voiceless people realized that they had a voice.
[AI] 无声的人意识到他们有声音。
and it was powerful and eloquent.
[AI] 它是强有力的,雄辩的。
If a newspaper ran some racist or homophobic column.
[AI] 如果报纸上有种族主义或恐同的专栏。
we realized we could do something about it.
[AI] 我们意识到我们可以做点什么。
We could get them.
[AI] 我们可以得到他们。
We could hit them with a weapon that we understood but they didn't --
[AI] 我们可以用我们理解的武器打击他们,但他们没有--
a social media shaming.
[AI] 社交媒体的耻辱。
Advertisers would withdraw their advertising.
[AI] 广告商将撤回他们的广告。
When powerful people misused their privilege.
[AI] 当有权势的人滥用他们的特权时。
we were going to get them.
[AI] 我们要去拿。
This was like the democratization of justice.
[AI] 这就像司法的民主化。
Hierarchies were being leveled out.
[AI] 等级制度正在被拉平。
We were going to do things better.
[AI] 我们打算把事情做得更好。
Soon after that. a disgraced pop science writer called Jonah Lehrer -- he'd been caught plagiarizing and faking quotes.
[AI] 不久之后。一位声名狼藉的通俗科学作家乔纳·莱勒(Jonah Lehrer)因抄袭和伪造引文而被捕。
and he was drenched in shame and regret. he told me.
[AI] 他沉浸在羞愧和悔恨之中。他告诉我。
And he had the opportunity
[AI] 他有机会
to publicly apologize at a foundation lunch.
[AI] 在基金会午餐上公开道歉。
This was going to be the most important speech of his life.
[AI] 这将是他一生中最重要的演讲。
Maybe it would win him some salvation.
[AI] 也许这会为他赢得一些救赎。
He knew before he arrived
[AI] 他到达之前就知道了
that the foundation was going to be live-streaming his event.
[AI] 基金会将现场直播他的事件。
but what he didn't know until he turned up.
[AI] 但直到他出现他才知道。
was that they'd erected a giant screen Twitter feed right next to his head.
[AI] 他们在他的头旁边竖起了一个巨大的屏幕。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Another one in a monitor screen in his eye line.
[AI] 另一个在他眼线的监视器屏幕上。
I don't think the foundation did this because they were monstrous.
[AI] 我不认为基金会这么做是因为它们太可怕了。
I think they were clueless: I think this was a unique moment
[AI] 我认为他们是无知的:我认为这是一个独特的时刻
when the beautiful naivety of Twitter
[AI] 当美丽天真的推特
was hitting the increasingly horrific reality.
[AI] 正在触及日益可怕的现实。
And here were some of the Tweets that were cascading into his eye line.
[AI] 这里有一些推特,这些推特正源源不断地传到他的眼线。
as he was trying to apologize:
[AI] 当他试图道歉时:
"Jonah Lehrer. boring us into forgiving him."
[AI] “约拿·莱勒。让我们厌烦去原谅他。”
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And. "Jonah Lehrer has not proven that he is capable of feeling shame."
[AI] 和“约拿·莱勒没有证明他有能力感到羞耻。”
That one must have been written by the best psychiatrist ever.
[AI] 那一定是有史以来最好的精神病医生写的。
to know that about such a tiny figure behind a lectern.
[AI] 真想知道在讲台后面有这么一个小人物。
And. "Jonah Lehrer is just a frigging sociopath."
[AI] 和“乔纳·莱勒只是个该死的反社会者。”
That last word is a very human thing to do. to dehumanize the people we hurt.
[AI] 最后一句话是非常人性化的事情。让我们伤害的人失去人性。
It's because we want to destroy people but not feel bad about it.
[AI] 这是因为我们想毁灭人们,但并不为此感到难过。
Imagine if this was an actual court.
[AI] 想象一下,如果这是一个真正的法庭。
and the accused was in the dark. begging for another chance.
[AI] 被告在黑暗中。乞求另一次机会。
and the jury was yelling out.
[AI] 陪审团大喊大叫。
"Bored! Sociopath!"
[AI] “无聊!反社会者!”
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
You know. when we watch courtroom dramas. we tend to identify
[AI] 你知道的。当我们看法庭剧的时候。我们倾向于认同
with the kindhearted defense attorney.
[AI] 和善良的辩护律师。
but give us the power. and we become like hanging judges.
[AI] 但是给我们力量。我们就像被绞死的法官。
Power shifts fast.
[AI] 权力转移很快。
We were getting Jonah because he was perceived to have misused his privilege.
[AI] 我们得到约拿是因为他被认为滥用了他的特权。
but Jonah was on the floor then. and we were still kicking.
[AI] 但约拿当时在地板上。我们还在踢。
and congratulating ourselves for punching up.
[AI] 祝贺我们自己打了一拳。
And it began to feel weird and empty when there wasn't a powerful person
[AI] 当没有一个有权势的人时,它开始感到奇怪和空虚
who had misused their privilege that we could get.
[AI] 他们滥用了我们可以得到的特权。
A day without a shaming began to feel like a day
[AI] 没有羞耻感的一天开始感觉像是一天
picking fingernails and treading water.
[AI] 修剪指甲和踩水。
Let me tell you a story.
[AI] 让我给你讲个故事。
It's about a woman called Justine Sacco.
[AI] 是关于一个叫贾斯汀·萨科的女人的。
She was a PR woman from New York with 170 Twitter followers.
[AI] 她是一位来自纽约的公关女士,拥有170名推特粉丝。
and she'd Tweet little acerbic jokes to them.
[AI] 她会在推特上给他们讲一些尖刻的笑话。
like this one on a plane from New York to London:
[AI] 就像这张从纽约到伦敦的飞机上的照片:
[Weird German Dude: You're in first class. It's 2014. Get some deodorant."
[AI] [奇怪的德国人:你坐的是头等舱。2014年了。去买点除臭剂。”
-Inner monologue as inhale BO. Thank god for pharmaceuticals.]
[AI] -内心独白如同吸入波。感谢上帝给了我们药品。]
So Justine chuckled to herself. and pressed send. and got no replies.
[AI] 于是贾斯汀暗自发笑。然后按send。没有得到答复。
and felt that sad feeling that we all feel
[AI] 感受到我们所有人都感受到的那种悲伤的感觉
when the Internet doesn't congratulate us for being funny.
[AI] 当互联网不祝贺我们的幽默时。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Black silence when the Internet doesn't talk back.
[AI] 当互联网不回应时,黑色的沉默。
And then she got to Heathrow. and she had a little time to spare
[AI] 然后她到了希思罗机场。她还有一点时间
before her final leg. so she thought up another funny little acerbic joke:
[AI] 在她最后一条腿之前。于是她想出了另一个有趣的尖刻的小笑话:
[Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!]
[AI] [去非洲。希望我不会得艾滋病。开玩笑吧。我是白人!]
And she chuckled to herself. pressed send. got on the plane. got no replies.
[AI] 她暗自窃笑。按发送。上了飞机。没有得到答复。
turned off her phone. fell asleep.
[AI] 关掉了她的手机。我睡着了。
woke up 11 hours later.
[AI] 11小时后醒来。
turned on her phone while the plane was taxiing on the runway.
[AI] 当飞机在跑道上滑行时,她打开了手机。
and straightaway there was a message from somebody
[AI] 马上就有人传来了消息
that she hadn't spoken to since high school.
[AI] 她从高中起就没跟她说过话。
that said. "I am so sorry to see what's happening to you."
[AI] 也就是说。“我很抱歉看到你发生了什么事。”
And then another message from a best friend.
[AI] 然后是最好的朋友发来的另一条信息。
"You need to call me right now.
[AI] “你需要马上给我打电话。
You are the worldwide number one trending topic on Twitter."
[AI] 你是推特上全球头号热门话题。"
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
What had happened is that one of her 170 followers had sent the Tweet
[AI] 发生的事情是,她的170名追随者中有一人发了这条推特
to a Gawker journalist. and he retweeted it to his 15.000 followers:
[AI] 对一个目瞪口呆的记者说。他把它转发给他的15000名追随者:
[And now. a funny holiday joke from IAC's PR boss]
[AI] [现在,IAC公关部老板开的一个有趣的节日玩笑]
And then it was like a bolt of lightning.
[AI] 然后就像一道闪电。
A few weeks later. I talked to the Gawker journalist.
[AI] 几周后。我和Gawker记者谈过。
I emailed him and asked him how it felt. and he said. "It felt delicious."
[AI] 我给他发了电子邮件,问他感觉如何。他说。“感觉很好吃。”
And then he said. "But I'm sure she's fine."
[AI] 然后他说。“但我相信她很好。”
But she wasn't fine. because while she slept.
[AI] 但她并不好。因为当她睡觉的时候。
Twitter took control of her life and dismantled it piece by piece.
[AI] 推特控制了她的生活,并一块一块地摧毁了它。
First there were the philanthropists:
[AI] 首先是慈善家:
[If @JustineSacco's unfortunate words ... bother you.
[AI] [如果@JustineSacco的不幸话……会让你烦恼。
join me in supporting @CARE's work in Africa.]
[AI] 与我一起支持@CARE在非洲的工作。]
[In light of ... disgusting. racist tweet. I'm donating to @care today]
[AI] [鉴于……恶心。种族主义推特。我今天向@care捐款]
Then came the beyond horrified:
[AI] 然后,惊骇的声音传来:
[... no words for that horribly disgusting racist as fuck tweet from Justine Sacco. I am beyond horrified.]
[AI] […贾斯汀·萨科(Justine Sacco)那条令人厌恶的种族主义推特,我简直吓坏了。]
Was anybody on Twitter that night? A few of you.
[AI] 那天晚上有人在推特上吗?你们中的一些人。
Did Justine's joke overwhelm your Twitter feed the way it did mine?
[AI] 贾斯汀的笑话是否像我的一样压倒了你的推特?
It did mine. and I thought what everybody thought that night.
[AI] 这是我的。我想的和那天晚上大家想的一样。
which was. "Wow. somebody's screwed!
[AI] 是的。“哇,有人搞砸了!
Somebody's life is about to get terrible!"
[AI] 有人的生活即将变得糟糕!"
And I sat up in my bed.
[AI] 我在床上坐了起来。
and I put the pillow behind my head.
[AI] 我把枕头放在脑后。
and then I thought. I'm not entirely sure that joke was intended to be racist.
[AI] 然后我想。我不能完全肯定那个笑话是种族主义者开的。
Maybe instead of gleefully flaunting her privilege.
[AI] 也许不是兴高采烈地炫耀她的特权。
she was mocking the gleeful flaunting of privilege.
[AI] 她在嘲弄这种炫耀特权的行为。
There's a comedy tradition of this.
[AI] 这是一个喜剧传统。
like South Park or Colbert or Randy Newman.
[AI] 像南方公园、科尔伯特或兰迪·纽曼。
Maybe Justine Sacco's crime was not being as good at it as Randy Newman.
[AI] 也许贾斯汀·萨科的罪行没有兰迪·纽曼那么擅长。
In fact. when I met Justine a couple of weeks later in a bar.
[AI] 事实上几周后,我在酒吧遇到了贾斯汀。
she was just crushed.
[AI] 她只是被压垮了。
and I asked her to explain the joke.
[AI] 我请她解释这个笑话。
and she said. "Living in America puts us in a bit of a bubble
[AI] 她说。“生活在美国让我们陷入了一点泡沫之中
when it comes to what is going on in the Third World.
[AI] 当涉及到第三世界正在发生的事情时。
I was making of fun of that bubble."
[AI] 我在取笑那个泡泡。"
You know. another woman on Twitter that night. a New Statesman writer Helen Lewis.
[AI] 你知道的。那天晚上另一个女人在推特上。新政治家作家海伦·刘易斯。
she reviewed my book on public shaming and wrote that she Tweeted that night.
[AI] 她回顾了我关于公众羞辱的书,并写道她那天晚上发了推特。
"I'm not sure that her joke was intended to be racist."
[AI] “我不确定她的笑话是否有种族歧视的意图。”
and she said straightaway she got a fury of Tweets saying.
[AI] 她马上说,她收到了一个愤怒的推特说。
"Well. you're just a privileged bitch. too."
[AI] “嗯,你也是一个有特权的婊子。”
And so to her shame. she wrote.
[AI] 让她感到羞耻的是。她写道。
she shut up and watched as Justine's life got torn apart.
[AI] 她闭嘴,看着贾斯汀的生活支离破碎。
It started to get darker:
[AI] 天开始变黑了:
[Everyone go report this cunt @JustineSacco]
[AI] [每个人都去举报这个贱人@JustineSacco]
Then came the calls for her to be fired.
[AI] 然后是要求解雇她的呼声。
[Good luck with the job hunt in the new year. #GettingFired]
[AI] [祝你新年找工作好运。#被解雇了]
Thousands of people around the world decided it was their duty to get her fired.
[AI] 全世界成千上万的人认为解雇她是他们的责任。
[@JustineSacco last tweet of your career. #SorryNotSorry
[AI] [@JustineSacco你职业生涯的最后一条tweet.#对不起
Corporations got involved. hoping to sell their products
[AI] 公司参与其中。希望销售他们的产品
on the back of Justine's annihilation:
[AI] 在贾斯汀被歼灭的背后:
[Next time you plan to tweet something stupid before you take off.
[AI] [下次你打算在起飞前发些愚蠢的推特时。
make sure you are getting on a @Gogo flight!]
[AI] 确保您乘坐的是@Gogo航班!]
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
A lot of companies were making good money that night.
[AI] 那天晚上很多公司都赚了很多钱。
You know. Justine's name was normally Googled 40 times a month.
[AI] 你知道的。贾斯汀的名字通常每月被谷歌搜索40次。
That month. between December the 20th and the end of December.
[AI] 那个月。从12月20日到12月底。
her name was Googled 1.220.000 times.
[AI] 她的名字被谷歌搜索了1220000次。
And one Internet economist told me that that meant that Google made
[AI] 一位互联网经济学家告诉我,这意味着谷歌
somewhere between 120.000 dollars and 468.000 dollars
[AI] 大约在12万到46.8万美元之间
from Justine's annihilation. whereas those of us doing the actual shaming --
[AI] 从贾斯汀的毁灭中。而我们中那些真正感到羞耻的人--
we got nothing.
[AI] 我们什么都没有。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
We were like unpaid shaming interns for Google.
[AI] 我们就像谷歌的无薪实习生。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And then came the trolls:
[AI] 然后来了巨魔:
[I'm actually kind of hoping Justine Sacco gets aids? lol]
[AI] [我真的有点希望贾斯汀·萨科得了艾滋病?哈哈]
Somebody else on that wrote.
[AI] 那上面有人写的。
"Somebody HIV-positive should rape this bitch and then we'll find out
[AI] “HIV阳性的人应该强奸这个婊子,然后我们会发现的
if her skin color protects her from AIDS."
[AI] 如果她的肤色能保护她免受艾滋病的侵害。"
And that person got a free pass.
[AI] 那个人得到了一张免费通行证。
Nobody went after that person.
[AI] 没有人去追那个人。
We were all so excited about destroying Justine.
[AI] 我们都很兴奋能毁掉贾斯汀。
and our shaming brains are so simple-minded.
[AI] 我们羞耻的大脑是如此简单。
that we couldn't also handle destroying somebody
[AI] 我们也无法处理毁灭某人的问题
who was inappropriately destroying Justine.
[AI] 他不恰当地摧毁了贾斯汀。
Justine was really uniting a lot of disparate groups that night.
[AI] 那天晚上,贾斯汀真的团结了很多不同的团体。
from philanthropists to "rape the bitch."
[AI] 从慈善家到“强奸婊子”
[@JustineSacco I hope you get fired! You demented bitch...
[AI] [@JustineSacco我希望你被炒鱿鱼!你这个疯婊子。。。
Just let the world know you're planning to ride bare back while in Africa.]
[AI] 只要让全世界都知道你打算在非洲裸奔。]
Women always have it worse than men.
[AI] 女人总是比男人更糟糕。
When a man gets shamed. it's. "I'm going to get you fired."
[AI] 当一个人感到羞耻时。“我会让你被炒鱿鱼。”
When a woman gets shamed. it's.
[AI] 当一个女人感到羞耻时。是的。
"I'm going to get you fired and raped and cut out your uterus."
[AI] “我要让你被炒鱿鱼,被强奸,然后切除你的子宫。”
And then Justine's employers got involved:
[AI] 然后贾斯汀的雇主也参与了进来:
[IAC on @JustineSacco tweet: This is an outrageous. offensive comment.
[AI] [IAC on@JustineSacco推特:这是一个令人愤怒的、冒犯性的评论。
Employee in question currently unreachable on an intl flight.]
[AI] 在国际航班上无法联系到相关员工。]
And that's when the anger turned to excitement:
[AI] 这时愤怒变成了激动:
[All I want for Christmas is to see @JustineSacco's face when her plane lands
[AI] [圣诞节我只想看到@JustineSacco的飞机降落时的脸]
and she checks her inbox/voicemail. #fired]
[AI] 她检查她的收件箱/语音信箱#解雇]
[Oh man. @justinesacco is going to have the most painful
[AI] [哦,天哪。@justinesacco将会是最痛苦的
phone-turning-on moment ever when her plane lands.]
[AI] 当她的飞机着陆时,手机一直开机。]
[We are about to watch this @JustineSacco bitch get fired. In REAL time.
[AI] [我们马上就要看到这个@JustineSacco婊子被炒鱿鱼了。实时。
Before she even KNOWS she's getting fired.]
[AI] 在她知道自己被解雇之前。]
What we had was a delightful narrative arc.
[AI] 我们拥有的是一个令人愉快的叙述弧。
We knew something that Justine didn't.
[AI] 我们知道一些贾斯汀不知道的事情。
Can you think of anything less judicial than this?
[AI] 你能想出比这更不公正的办法吗?
Justine was asleep on a plane and unable to explain herself.
[AI] 贾斯汀在飞机上睡着了,无法解释自己。
and her inability was a huge part of the hilarity.
[AI] 她的无能是欢笑的一大部分。
On Twitter that night. we were like toddlers crawling towards a gun.
[AI] 那天晚上在推特上。我们就像蹒跚学步的孩子,朝着枪爬去。
Somebody worked out exactly which plane she was on. so they linked to a flight tracker website.
[AI] 有人查出了她到底在哪架飞机上。所以他们链接到了一个飞行追踪网站。
[British Airways Flight 43 On-time - arrives in 1 hour 34 minutes]
[AI] [英国航空公司43次航班准点-1小时34分钟后抵达]
A hashtag began trending worldwide:
[AI] 一个标签开始在全球流行:
# hasJustineLandedYet?
[AI] #你结婚了吗?
[It is kinda wild to see someone self-destruct
[AI] 看到有人自毁有点疯狂
without them even being aware of it. #hasJustineLandedYet]
[AI] 他们甚至都不知道#还没有]
[Seriously. I just want to go home to go to bed. but everyone at the bar
[AI] 说真的,我只是想回家睡觉,但酒吧里的每个人
is SO into #HasJustineLandedYet. Can't look away. Can't leave.]
[AI] 他现在还很投入。不能把目光移开。我不能离开
[#HasJustineLandedYet may be the best thing to happen to my Friday night.]
[AI] [#hasjustineladed可能是发生在我周五晚上最好的事情。]
[Is no one in Cape Town going to the airport to tweet her arrival?
[AI] [开普敦没有人去机场推特她的到来吗?
Come on. twitter! I'd like pictures]
[AI] 来吧啁啾我想要照片]
And guess what? Yes there was.
[AI] 你猜怎么着?是的,有。
[@JustineSacco HAS in fact landed at Cape Town international.
[AI] [@JustineSacco实际上已经登陆开普敦国际机场。
And if you want to know what it looks like to discover
[AI] 如果你想知道它是什么样子的发现
that you've just been torn to shreds because of a misconstrued liberal joke.
[AI] 你刚刚因为一个被误解的自由主义笑话而被撕成碎片。
not by trolls. but by nice people like us.
[AI] 不是巨魔干的。但是像我们这样的好人。
this is what it looks like:
[AI] 这就是它看起来的样子:
[... She's decided to wear sunnies as a disguise.]
[AI] […她决定戴太阳眼镜作为伪装。]
So why did we do it?
[AI] 那我们为什么要这么做?
I think some people were genuinely upset.
[AI] 我想有些人真的很难过。
but I think for other people.
[AI] 但我认为对其他人来说。
it's because Twitter is basically a mutual approval machine.
[AI] 这是因为Twitter基本上是一个相互认可的机器。
We surround ourselves with people who feel the same way we do.
[AI] 我们周围的人和我们的感觉一样。
and we approve each other.
[AI] 我们互相认可。
and that's a really good feeling.
[AI] 这是一种非常好的感觉。
And if somebody gets in the way. we screen them out.
[AI] 如果有人挡了路。我们把他们筛选出来。
And do you know what that's the opposite of?
[AI] 你知道那是什么的对立面吗?
It's the opposite of democracy.
[AI] 这是民主的反面。
We wanted to show that we cared about people dying of AIDS in Africa.
[AI] 我们想表明我们关心非洲死于艾滋病的人。
Our desire to be seen to be compassionate is what led us to commit
[AI] 我们渴望被视为富有同情心的人,这正是我们做出承诺的原因
this profoundly un-compassionate act.
[AI] 这是一种极不富有同情心的行为。
As Meghan O'Gieblyn wrote in the Boston Review.
[AI] 正如Meghan O'Gieblyn在《波士顿评论》中写道的那样。
"This isn't social justice. It's a cathartic alternative."
[AI] “这不是社会正义,而是一种宣泄方式。”
For the past three years.
[AI] 过去三年。
I've been going around the world meeting people like Justine Sacco --
[AI] 我一直在世界各地会见像贾斯汀·萨科这样的人--
and believe me. there's a lot of people like Justine Sacco.
[AI] 相信我。有很多人喜欢贾斯汀·萨科。
There's more every day.
[AI] 每天都有更多。
And we want to think they're fine. but they're not fine.
[AI] 我们认为他们很好。但是他们不好。
The people I met were mangled.
[AI] 我遇到的人都被弄坏了。
They talked to me about depression.
[AI] 他们跟我谈过抑郁症。
and anxiety and insomnia and suicidal thoughts.
[AI] 焦虑、失眠和自杀念头。
One woman I talked to. who also told a joke that landed badly.
[AI] 我和一个女人谈过。他还讲了一个笑话,结果很糟糕。
she stayed home for a year and a half.
[AI] 她在家呆了一年半。
Before that. she worked with adults with learning difficulties.
[AI] 在那之前。她与有学习困难的成年人一起工作。
and was apparently really good at her job.
[AI] 很明显她很擅长她的工作。
Justine was fired. of course. because social media demanded it.
[AI] 贾斯汀被解雇了。当然因为社交媒体需要它。
But it was worse than that.
[AI] 但比这更糟糕。
She was losing herself.
[AI] 她迷失了自我。
She was waking up in the middle of the night. forgetting who she was.
[AI] 她半夜醒来。忘了她是谁。
She was got because she was perceived to have misused her privilege.
[AI] 她被逮捕是因为人们认为她滥用了自己的特权。
And of course. that's a much better thing to get people for than the things
[AI] 当然了。这是一个更好的事情,让人们比的东西
we used to get people for. like having children out of wedlock.
[AI] 我们过去常让人来帮忙。比如私生子。
But the phrase "misuse of privilege" is becoming a free pass
[AI] 但“滥用特权”一词正在成为一种免费通行证
to tear apart pretty much anybody we choose to.
[AI] 把我们选择的任何人都撕碎。
It's becoming a devalued term.
[AI] 它正在成为一个贬值的术语。
and it's making us lose our capacity for empathy
[AI] 这让我们失去了移情的能力
and for distinguishing between serious and unserious transgressions.
[AI] 以及区分严重和不严重的违法行为。
Justine had 170 Twitter followers. and so to make it work.
[AI] 贾斯汀有170名推特粉丝。为了让它发挥作用。
she had to be fictionalized.
[AI] 她必须被虚构出来。
Word got around that she was the daughter the mining billionaire Desmond Sacco.
[AI] 有消息说她是矿业亿万富翁德斯蒙德·萨科的女儿。
[Let us not be fooled by #JustineSacco her father is a SA mining billionaire.
[AI] [让我们不要被贾斯汀萨克愚弄,她父亲是南非矿业的亿万富翁。
She's not sorry. And neither is her father.]
[AI] 她并不后悔。她的父亲也不是
I thought that was true about Justine.
[AI] 我认为贾斯汀是这样的。
until I met her at a bar. and I asked her about her billionaire father.
[AI] 直到我在酒吧遇到她。我问她关于她亿万富翁父亲的事。
and she said. "My father sells carpets."
[AI] 她说。“我父亲卖地毯。”
And I think back on the early days of Twitter.
[AI] 我回想起Twitter的早期。
when people would admit shameful secrets about themselves.
[AI] 当人们承认自己的可耻秘密时。
and other people would say. "Oh my God. I'm exactly the same."
[AI] 其他人会说。“哦,我的天啊,我完全一样。”
These days. the hunt is on for people's shameful secrets.
[AI] 这些天。人们正在寻找可耻的秘密。
You can lead a good. ethical life.
[AI] 你可以领导一个好的团队。道德生活。
but some bad phraseology in a Tweet can overwhelm it all.
[AI] 但Tweet中的一些糟糕措辞可能会压倒一切。
become a clue to your secret inner evil.
[AI] 成为你内心秘密邪恶的线索。
Maybe there's two types of people in the world:
[AI] 也许世界上有两种人:
those people who favor humans over ideology.
[AI] 那些偏爱人类而不是意识形态的人。
and those people who favor ideology over humans.
[AI] 还有那些偏爱意识形态甚于人类的人。
I favor humans over ideology.
[AI] 我喜欢人类胜过意识形态。
but right now. the ideologues are winning.
[AI] 但是现在。理论家们正在获胜。
and they're creating a stage for constant artificial high dramas
[AI] 他们正在创造一个舞台,为不断的人造高潮创造舞台
where everybody's either a magnificent hero
[AI] 每个人都是伟大的英雄
or a sickening villain.
[AI] 或者一个令人作呕的恶棍。
even though we know that's not true about our fellow humans.
[AI] 尽管我们知道我们的同胞不是这样的。
What's true is that we are clever and stupid;
[AI] 事实上,我们既聪明又愚蠢;
what's true is that we're grey areas.
[AI] 事实上,我们是灰色地带。
The great thing about social media was how it gave a voice to voiceless people.
[AI] 社交媒体的伟大之处在于它如何让无声的人有发言权。
but we're now creating a surveillance society.
[AI] 但我们现在正在创建一个监视社会。
where the smartest way to survive is to go back to being voiceless.
[AI] 最聪明的生存方式是回到无声状态。
Let's not do that.
[AI] 我们不要那样做。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
Bruno Giussani: Thank you. Jon.
[AI] 布鲁诺·朱萨尼:谢谢。乔恩。
Jon Ronson: Thanks. Bruno.
[AI] 乔恩·朗森:谢谢。布鲁诺。
BG: Don't go away.
[AI] BG:别走开。
What strikes me about Justine's story
[AI] 贾斯汀的故事给我留下了什么印象
is also the fact that if you Google her name today.
[AI] 事实上,如果你今天用谷歌搜索她的名字。
this story covers the first 100 pages of Google results --
[AI] 这个故事涵盖了谷歌搜索结果的前100页--
there is nothing else about her.
[AI] 她身上没有别的东西。
In your book. you mention another story
[AI] 在你的书里。你提到另一个故事
of another victim who actually got taken on by a reputation management firm.
[AI] 另一个受害者被一家声誉管理公司雇佣。
and by creating blogs and posting nice. innocuous stories about her love for cats
[AI] 通过创建博客和发布好消息。关于她爱猫的无伤大雅的故事
and holidays and stuff. managed to get the story
[AI] 还有假期之类的。设法得到了这个故事
off the first couple pages of Google results. but it didn't last long.
[AI] 在谷歌搜索结果的前几页。但没持续多久。
A couple of weeks later. they started creeping back up to the top result.
[AI] 几周后。他们开始慢慢恢复到最高成绩。
Is this a totally lost battle?
[AI] 这是一场彻底失败的战斗吗?
Jon Ronson: You know. I think the very best thing we can do.
[AI] 乔恩·朗森:你知道。我认为我们能做的最好的事情。
if you see a kind of unfair or an ambiguous shaming.
[AI] 如果你看到一种不公平或模棱两可的羞辱。
is to speak up. because I think the worst thing that happened to Justine
[AI] 就是大声说出来。因为我认为发生在Justine身上最糟糕的事情
was that nobody supported her -- like. everyone was against her.
[AI] 就是没有人支持她,比如说。大家都反对她。
and that is profoundly traumatizing.
[AI] 这让人深受创伤。
to be told by tens of thousands of people that you need to get out.
[AI] 成千上万的人告诉你,你需要离开。
But if a shaming happens and there's a babble of voices. like in a democracy.
[AI] 但是如果一个羞辱发生了,会有一大堆的声音。就像在民主国家一样。
where people are discussing it. I think that's much less damaging.
[AI] 人们正在讨论的地方。我认为这样的破坏性要小得多。
So I think that's the way forward.
[AI] 所以我认为这是前进的方向。
but it's hard. because if you do stand up for somebody.
[AI] 但这很难。因为如果你真的支持某人。
it's incredibly unpleasant.
[AI] 这令人难以置信的不愉快。
BG: So let's talk about your experience.
[AI] BG:那么让我们谈谈你的经历。
because you stood up by writing this book.
[AI] 因为你写了这本书站了起来。
By the way. it's mandatory reading for everybody. okay?
[AI] 顺便说一句这是每个人的必读课。可以
You stood up because the book actually puts the spotlight on shamers.
[AI] 你站起来是因为这本书实际上把焦点放在了羞耻者身上。
And I assume you didn't only have friendly reactions on Twitter.
[AI] 我猜你在推特上不仅有友好的反应。
JR: It didn't go down that well with some people.
[AI] JR:有些人觉得不太好。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
I mean. you don't want to just concentrate --
[AI] 我是说。你不想只集中注意力--
because lots of people understood. and were really nice about the book.
[AI] 因为很多人都明白。我们对这本书很满意。
But yeah. for 30 years I've been writing stories about abuses of power.
[AI] 但是是的。30年来,我一直在写关于滥用权力的故事。
and when I say the powerful people over there in the military.
[AI] 当我说军队里有权势的人时。
or in the pharmaceutical industry. everybody applauds me.
[AI] 或者在制药行业。大家都为我鼓掌。
As soon as I say. "We are the powerful people abusing our power now."
[AI] 只要我说。“我们现在是滥用权力的有权势的人。”
I get people saying. "Well you must be a racist too."
[AI] 我让人们说。“你一定也是个种族主义者。”
BG: So the other night -- yesterday -- we were at dinner.
[AI] BG:那么前几天晚上——昨天——我们在吃饭。
and there were two discussions going on.
[AI] 有两次讨论正在进行。
On one side you were talking with people around the table --
[AI] 一方面,你和桌子周围的人交谈--
and that was a nice. constructive discussion.
[AI] 这是一个很好的机会。建设性讨论。
On the other. every time you turned to your phone.
[AI] 另一方面。每次你打开手机。
there is this deluge of insults.
[AI] 有这么多的侮辱。
JR: Yeah. This happened last night. We had like a TED dinner last night.
[AI] JR:是的。这是昨晚发生的。昨晚我们吃了一顿TED晚餐。
We were chatting and it was lovely and nice. and I decided to check Twitter.
[AI] 我们在聊天,感觉很好。我决定查看推特。
Somebody said. "You are a white supremacist."
[AI] 有人说。“你是白人至上主义者。”
And then I went back and had a nice conversation with somebody.
[AI] 然后我回去和某人进行了一次愉快的谈话。
and then I went back to Twitter.
[AI] 然后我又回到推特上。
somebody said my very existence made the world a worse place.
[AI] 有人说我的存在让世界变得更糟。
My friend Adam Curtis says
[AI] 我的朋友亚当·柯蒂斯说
that maybe the Internet is like a John Carpenter movie from the 1980s.
[AI] 也许互联网就像上世纪80年代约翰·卡彭特的电影。
when eventually everyone will start screaming at each other
[AI] 最终每个人都会开始互相尖叫
and shooting each other. and then eventually everybody would flee to somewhere safer.
[AI] 还有互相射击。然后最终每个人都会逃到更安全的地方。
and I'm starting to think of that as a really nice option.
[AI] 我开始认为这是一个非常好的选择。
BG: Jon. thank you. JR: Thank you. Bruno.
[AI] 背景:乔恩。非常感谢。JR:谢谢。布鲁诺。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)