声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
It was the middle of summer and well past closing time
[AI] 当时正值仲夏,早已过了关门时间
in the downtown Berkeley bar where my friend Polly and I
[AI] 在伯克利市中心的酒吧里,我和我的朋友波莉
worked together as bartenders.
[AI] 一起当调酒师。
Usually at the end of our shift we had a drink -- but not that night.
[AI] 通常在轮班结束时,我们喝了一杯——但那天晚上没有。
"I'm pregnant.
[AI] “我怀孕了。
Not sure what I'm going to do yet." I told Polly.
[AI] 我还不知道我要做什么。“我告诉波利。
Without hesitation. she replied. "I've had an abortion."
[AI] 毫不犹豫。她回答。“我堕胎了。”
Before Polly. no one had ever told me that she'd had an abortion.
[AI] 在波利之前。从来没有人告诉我她堕胎了。
I'd graduated from college just a few months earlier
[AI] 我几个月前刚从大学毕业
and I was in a new relationship when I found out that I was pregnant.
[AI] 当我发现自己怀孕时,我正处于一段新的关系中。
When I thought about my choices. I honestly did not know how to decide.
[AI] 当我考虑我的选择时。我真的不知道该怎么决定。
what criteria I should use.
[AI] 我应该使用什么标准。
How would I know what the right decision was?
[AI] 我怎么知道正确的决定是什么?
I worried that I would regret an abortion later.
[AI] 我担心以后会后悔堕胎。
Coming of age on the beaches of Southern California.
[AI] 在南加州的海滩上成长。
I grew up in the middle of our nation's abortion wars.
[AI] 在我国堕胎战争的中期,我长大了。
I was born in a trailer on the third anniversary of Roe vs. Wade.
[AI] 我出生在罗伊对韦德三周年纪念日的预告片里。
Our community was surfing Christians.
[AI] 我们的社区是基督徒冲浪。
We cared about God. the less fortunate. and the ocean.
[AI] 我们关心上帝。不幸的人。还有海洋。
Everyone was pro-life.
[AI] 每个人都支持生命。
As a kid. the idea of abortion made me so sad that I knew if I ever got pregnant
[AI] 小时候。堕胎的想法让我非常伤心,我知道如果我怀孕了
I could never have one.
[AI] 我永远不会有一个。
And then I did.
[AI] 然后我做到了。
It was a step towards the unknown.
[AI] 这是迈向未知的一步。
But Polly had given me a very special gift:
[AI] 但波利给了我一份非常特别的礼物:
the knowledge that I wasn't alone
[AI] 知道我并不孤单
and the realization that abortion was something that we can talk about.
[AI] 认识到堕胎是我们可以谈论的事情。
Abortion is common.
[AI] 堕胎很常见。
According to the Guttmacher Institute. one in three women in America
[AI] 根据古特马赫研究所的说法。美国三分之一的女性
will have an abortion in their lifetime.
[AI] 在他们有生之年会堕胎。
But for the last few decades. the dialogue around abortion in the United States
[AI] 但是在过去的几十年里。美国关于堕胎的对话
has left little room for anything beyond pro-life and pro-choice.
[AI] 除了支持生命和支持选择之外,几乎没有任何空间。
It's political and polarizing.
[AI] 这是政治和两极分化。
But as much as abortion is hotly debated. it's still rare for us.
[AI] 但是,关于堕胎的争论也很激烈。这对我们来说还是很少见的。
whether as fellow women or even just as fellow people.
[AI] 无论是作为女性同胞还是作为普通人。
to talk with one another about the abortions that we have.
[AI] 互相谈论我们的堕胎。
There is a gap.
[AI] 有一个缺口。
Between what happens in politics and what happens in real life.
[AI] 在政治和现实生活中发生的事情之间。
and in that gap. a battlefield mentality.
[AI] 在这个缺口里。战场心态。
An "are you with us or against us?" stance takes root.
[AI] “你是支持我们还是反对我们?”立场根深蒂固。
This isn't just about abortion.
[AI] 这不仅仅是关于堕胎。
There are so many important issues that we can't talk about.
[AI] 有太多重要的问题我们不能谈论。
And so finding ways to shift the conflict to a place of conversation
[AI] 因此,要想办法将冲突转移到一个对话的地方
is the work of my life.
[AI] 这是我一生的工作。
There are two main ways to get started.
[AI] 有两种主要的开始方式。
One way is to listen closely.
[AI] 一种方法是仔细倾听。
And the other way is to share stories.
[AI] 另一种方式是分享故事。
So. 15 years ago. I cofounded an organization called Exhale
[AI] 所以15年前。我共同创立了一个叫做呼气的组织
to start listening to people who have had abortions.
[AI] 开始倾听堕胎者的意见。
The first thing we did was create a talk-line. where women and men could call to get emotional support.
[AI] 我们做的第一件事就是建立一个谈话热线。女人和男人都可以打电话寻求情感上的支持。
Free of judgment and politics. believe it or not. nothing like our sevice had ever existed.
[AI] 没有判断和政治。信不信由你。从来没有像我们这样的服务存在过。
We needed a new framework that could hold all the experiences that we were
[AI] 我们需要一个新的框架,能够容纳我们过去的所有经验
hearing on our talk-line.
[AI] 听我们的谈话。
The feminist who regrets her abortion.
[AI] 后悔堕胎的女权主义者。
The Catholic who is grateful for hers.
[AI] 感谢她的天主教徒。
The personal experiences that weren't fitting neatly into one box or the other.
[AI] 个人经历不能很好地融入其中。
We didn't think it was right to ask women to pick a side.
[AI] 我们认为要求女性选择一方是不对的。
We wanted to show them that the whole world was on their side.
[AI] 我们想让他们知道整个世界都站在他们一边。
as they were going through this deeply personal experience.
[AI] 当他们经历这段深刻的个人经历时。
So we invented "pro-voice."
[AI] 所以我们发明了“职业配音”
Beyond abortion. pro-voice works on hard issues that we've struggled with globally for years.
[AI] 除了堕胎。pro voice致力于解决我们多年来在全球范围内苦苦挣扎的难题。
issues like immigration. religious tolerance. violence against women.
[AI] 移民等问题。宗教宽容。对妇女的暴力行为。
It also works on deeply personal topics that might only matter to you
[AI] 它也适用于可能只对你重要的个人话题
and your immediate family and friends.
[AI] 还有你的直系亲属和朋友。
They have a terminal illness. their mother just died.
[AI] 他们得了绝症。他们的母亲刚刚去世。
they have a child with special needs and they can't talk about it.
[AI] 他们有一个有特殊需要的孩子,他们不能谈论这个问题。
Listening and storytelling are the hallmarks of pro-voice practice.
[AI] 倾听和讲故事是职业配音练习的特点。
Listening and storytelling.
[AI] 倾听和讲故事。
That sounds pretty nice.
[AI] 听起来不错。
Sounds maybe. easy? We could all do that.
[AI] 听起来可能。容易的我们都可以这样做。
It's not easy. It's very hard.
[AI] 它不容易。这很难。
Pro-voice is hard because we are talking about things everyone's fighting about
[AI] 职业配音很难,因为我们谈论的是每个人都在争论的事情
or the things that no one wants to talk about.
[AI] 或者那些没人想谈论的事情。
I wish I could tell you that when you decide to be pro-voice. that you'll find
[AI] 我希望我能告诉你,当你决定成为职业配音。你会发现
beautiful moments of breakthrough and gardens full of flowers.
[AI] 美丽的突破时刻和鲜花盛开的花园。
where listening and storytelling creates wonderful "a-ha" moments.
[AI] 在那里,聆听和讲故事创造了美妙的“哈哈”时刻。
I wish I could tell you that there would be a feminist welcoming party for you.
[AI] 我希望我能告诉你会有一个女权主义者的欢迎派对。
or that there's a long-lost sisterhood of people who are just ready
[AI] 或者有一个失去已久的姐妹情谊的人刚刚准备好
to have your back when you get slammed.
[AI] 当你被狠狠地摔了一顿的时候,你会得到你的支持。
But it can be vulnerable and exhausting to tell our own stories
[AI] 但讲述我们自己的故事可能会让人感到脆弱和疲惫
when it feels like nobody cares.
[AI] 当感觉没人在乎的时候。
And if we truly listen to one another.
[AI] 如果我们真的彼此倾听。
we will hear things that demand that we shift our own perceptions.
[AI] 我们将听到要求我们改变自己观念的事情。
There is no perfect time and there is no perfect place
[AI] 没有完美的时间,也没有完美的地方
to start a difficult conversation.
[AI] 开始一段艰难的谈话。
There's never a time when everyone will be on the same page. share the same lens.
[AI] 从来没有一次每个人都站在同一页上。共用同一个镜头。
or know the same history.
[AI] 或者知道同样的历史。
So. let's talk about listening and how to be a good listener.
[AI] 所以让我们谈谈倾听以及如何成为一个好的倾听者。
There's lots of ways to be a good listener and I'm going to give you just a couple.
[AI] 做一个好的倾听者有很多方法,我只想给你一些。
One is to ask open-ended questions.
[AI] 一是提出开放式问题。
You can ask yourself or someone that you know.
[AI] 你可以问你自己或者你认识的人。
"How are you feeling?"
[AI] “你感觉怎么样?”
"What was that like?"
[AI] “那是什么样子的?”
"What do you hope for. now?"
[AI] “你现在希望什么?”
Another way to be a good listener is to use reflective language.
[AI] 做一个好的倾听者的另一个方法是使用反思性语言。
If someone is talking about their own personal experience.
[AI] 如果有人在谈论自己的个人经历。
use the words that they use.
[AI] 使用他们使用的词语。
If someone is talking about an abortion and they say the word "baby."
[AI] 如果有人在谈论堕胎,他们会说“宝贝”
you can say "baby."
[AI] 你可以说“宝贝”
If they say "fetus." you can say "fetus."
[AI] 如果他们说“胎儿”你可以说“胎儿”
If someone describes themselves as gender queer to you.
[AI] 如果有人对你说自己性别古怪。
you can say "gender queer."
[AI] 你可以说“性别酷儿”
If someone kind of looks like a he. but they say they're a she -- it's cool.
[AI] 如果有人看起来像个男人。但是他们说他们是一个女人,这很酷。
Call that person a she.
[AI] 叫那个人她。
When we reflect the language of the person who is sharing their own story.
[AI] 当我们反映分享自己故事的人的语言时。
we are conveying that we are interested in understanding who they are
[AI] 我们正在传达我们有兴趣了解他们是谁
and what they're going through.
[AI] 以及他们正在经历的一切。
The same way that we hope people are interested in knowing us.
[AI] 就像我们希望人们有兴趣了解我们一样。
So. I'll never forget being in one of the Exhale counselor meetings.
[AI] 所以我永远不会忘记参加呼气顾问会议。
listening to a volunteer talk about how she was getting a lot of calls
[AI] 听一位志愿者讲述她是如何接到很多电话的
from Christian women who were talking about God.
[AI] 来自谈论上帝的基督教女性。
Now. some of our volunteers are religious. but this particular one was not.
[AI] 现在我们的一些志愿者是虔诚的。但这一次不是。
At first. it felt a little weird for her to talk to callers about God.
[AI] 一开始她和打电话的人谈论上帝,感觉有点奇怪。
So. she decided to get comfortable.
[AI] 所以她决定舒服一点。
And she stood in front of her mirror at home. and she said the word "God."
[AI] 她站在家里的镜子前。她说了“上帝”这个词
"God."
[AI] “上帝。”
"God."
[AI] “上帝。”
"God."
[AI] “上帝。”
"God."
[AI] “上帝。”
"God."
[AI] “上帝。”
"God."
[AI] “上帝。”
Over and over and over again until the word no longer felt strange coming out her mouth.
[AI] 一次又一次,直到这个词从她嘴里说出来不再觉得奇怪。
Saying the word God did not turn this volunteer into a Christian.
[AI] 说上帝的话并没有使这位志愿者成为基督徒。
but it did make her a much better listener of Christian women.
[AI] 但这确实使她成为一个更好的基督徒女性倾听者。
So. another way to be pro-voice is to share stories.
[AI] 所以另一种支持声音的方式是分享故事。
and one risk that you take on. when you share your story with someone else.
[AI] 还有一个你要承担的风险。当你和别人分享你的故事时。
is that given the same set of circumstances as you
[AI] 这和你的情况一样吗
they might actually make a different decision.
[AI] 他们可能会做出不同的决定。
For example. if you're telling a story about your abortion.
[AI] 例如如果你在讲一个关于堕胎的故事。
realize that she might have had the baby.
[AI] 意识到她可能生了孩子。
She might have placed for adoption.
[AI] 她可能被收养了。
She might have told her parents and her partner -- or not.
[AI] 她可能已经告诉了她的父母和她的伴侣——或者没有。
She might have felt relief and confidence. even though you felt sad and lost.
[AI] 她可能会感到宽慰和自信。即使你感到悲伤和失落。
This is okay.
[AI] 这没关系。
Empathy gets created the moment we imagine ourselves in someone else's shoes.
[AI] 当我们想象自己站在别人的立场上时,就会产生同理心。
It doesn't mean we all have to end up in the same place.
[AI] 这并不意味着我们都必须在同一个地方结束。
It's not agreement. it's not sameness that pro-voice is after.
[AI] 这不是协议。职业配音所追求的不是同一性。
It creates a culture and a society that values what make us special and unique.
[AI] 它创造了一种文化和一个社会,珍视使我们与众不同的东西。
It values what makes us human. our flaws and our imperfections.
[AI] 它重视使我们成为人类的东西。我们的缺点和不完美。
And this way of thinking allows us to see our differences with respect.
[AI] 这种思维方式使我们能够尊重地看待我们之间的差异。
instead of fear.
[AI] 而不是恐惧。
And it generates the empathy that we need
[AI] 它产生了我们所需要的同理心
to overcome all the ways that we try to hurt one another.
[AI] 克服我们试图伤害彼此的所有方式。
Stigma. shame. prejudice. discrimination. oppression.
[AI] 耻辱羞耻偏见区别对待压迫。
Pro-voice is contagious. and the more it's practiced
[AI] 支持声音是有感染力的。而且练习得越多
the more it spreads.
[AI] 它传播得越多。
So. last year I was pregnant again.
[AI] 所以去年我又怀孕了。
This time I was looking forward to the birth of my son.
[AI] 这一次,我期待着儿子的出生。
And while pregnant. I had never been asked how I was feeling so much in all my life.
[AI] 怀孕期间。在我的一生中,从来没有人问我感觉如何。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And however I replied. whether I was feeling wonderful and excited
[AI] 不管我怎么回答。我是否感觉很棒和兴奋
or scared and totally freaked out.
[AI] 或者被吓坏了。
there was always someone there giving me a "been there" response.
[AI] 总是有人在那里给我一个“去过那里”的回答。
It was awesome.
[AI] 太棒了。
It was a welcome. yet dramatic departure from what I experience
[AI] 这是一种欢迎。然而,这与我的经历大相径庭
when I talk about my mixed feelings of my abortion.
[AI] 当我谈到我对堕胎的复杂感受时。
Pro-voice is about the real stories of real people
[AI] 职业配音是关于真实人物的真实故事
making an impact on the way abortion
[AI] 对堕胎方式产生影响
and so many other politicized and stigmatized issues are understood and discussed.
[AI] 许多其他政治化和污名化的问题也被理解和讨论。
From sexuality and mental health to poverty and incarceration.
[AI] 从性和心理健康到贫困和监禁。
Far beyond definition as single right or wrong decisions.
[AI] 远远超出了单一正确或错误决策的定义。
our experiences can exist on a spectrum.
[AI] 我们的经验可以在光谱上存在。
Pro-voice focuses that conversation on human experience
[AI] Pro voice将对话重点放在人类体验上
and it makes support and respect possible for all.
[AI] 它使支持和尊重所有人成为可能。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)