声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
When you're a child,
当你还是个孩子,
anything and everything is possible.
凡事皆有可能。
The challenge, so often, is hanging on to that as we grow up.
挑战也总是伴随着我们成长。
And as a four-year-old,
我四岁的时候,
I had the opportunity to sail for the first time.
有机会第一次出海航行。
I will never forget the excitement as we closed the coast.
我永远忘不了快接近海岸时的激动,
I will never forget
永远忘不了
the feeling of adventure as I climbed on board the boat
第一次爬上船
and stared into her tiny cabin for the first time.
并凝视着船舱的感觉。
But the most amazing feeling was the feeling of freedom,
但最奇妙的是那种自由的感觉,
the feeling that I felt when we hoisted her sails.
那种挂帆起航的感觉。
As a four-year-old child,
对于一个四岁的孩子,
it was the greatest sense of freedom that I could ever imagine.
那是我能想象到的最大的自由感。
I made my mind up there and then that one day, somehow,
那天,不知何故,我下决心
I was going to sail around the world.
要出海周游世界。
So I did what I could in my life to get closer to that dream.
所以我竭尽全力,只为更接近那个梦想。
Age 10, it was saving my school dinner money change.
10岁的时候,我开始把在学校吃饭省下的零钱攒下来。
Every single day for eight years, I had mashed potato and baked beans,
8年中,我每天只吃土豆泥和烤豆,
which cost 4p each, and gravy was free.
每份只要4便士,而肉汁免费。
Every day I would pile up the change on the top of my money box,
每天我都把零钱堆在存钱罐顶部,
and when that pile reached a pound, I would drop it in
而每攒够一英磅,我就把钱放进存钱罐,
and cross off one of the 100 squares I'd drawn on a piece of paper.
并划掉在纸上预先画好的100个空格中的一个。
Finally, I bought a tiny dinghy.
终于,我买到一个小艇。
I spent hours sitting on it in the garden dreaming of my goal.
我在花园中花了几个小时,就这么坐在小艇上梦想着我的目标。
I read every book I could on sailing,
我读了能找到的每一本关于航行的书,
and then eventually, having been told by my school
然后学校终于通知我,
I wasn't clever enough to be a vet,
我还不够资格做一名兽医,
left school age 17 to begin my apprenticeship in sailing.
因此17岁那年我离开了学校,航海学徒的生涯开始了。
So imagine how it felt just four years later
想象一下这是什么感觉吧,仅仅四年之后,
to be sitting in a boardroom
坐在一间会议室,
in front of someone who I knew could make that dream come true.
面对着一个我知道可以让我梦想成真的人。
I felt like my life depended on that moment,
我觉得我一生都是由那一刻决定的,
and incredibly, he said yes.
而且不可思议的是,他同意了。
And I could barely contain my excitement as I sat in that first design meeting
当我第一次坐在会议室,
designing a boat on which I was going to sail
设计我将用于独自连续环球航行的船时,
solo nonstop around the world.
我几乎无法抑制内心的兴奋。
From that first meeting to the finish line of the race,
从第一次会议到比赛的终点线,
it was everything I'd ever imagined.
这一切我都曾经想象过。
Just like in my dreams, there were amazing parts and tough parts.
正如我想象中的那样,精彩与艰难并存。
We missed an iceberg by 20 feet.
我们曾经只差20英尺就撞到了一个冰山。
Nine times, I climbed to the top of her 90-foot mast.
我爬到90英尺的桅杆顶端9次。
We were blown on our side in the Southern Ocean.
我们在南大洋逆风行驶。
But the sunsets, the wildlife, and the remoteness
但是落日,野生动物和那种偏远之地的景象
were absolutely breathtaking.
真的美到让人窒息。
After three months at sea, age just 24,
在海上航行了三个月,我那时24岁,
I finished in second position.
以第二名的成绩完成了比赛。
I'd loved it, so much so that within six months
我太喜欢航行了,甚至在不到6个月后,
I decided to go around the world again, but this time not in a race:
我就决定再次环球航行,但这次不是比赛:
to try to be the fastest person ever to sail solo nonstop around the world.
是尽量以最快的速度不停站地进行独自环球航行。
Now for this, I needed a different craft:
为了实现这个目标,我需要换一艘船:
bigger, wider, faster, more powerful.
它更大,更宽,更快,动力更足。
Just to give that boat some scale, I could climb inside her mast
只是把船做得更大一点,这样我就可以爬进她的桅杆
all the way to the top.
一直到顶部。
Seventy-five foot long, 60 foot wide.
75英尺长,60英尺宽。
I affectionately called her Moby.
我亲切地称它白鲸。
She was a multihull.
她是一个多体船。
When we built her, no one had ever made it solo nonstop around the world in one, though many had tried,
我们造她的时候,还没人能够不停站地独自环球航行,尽管很多人试过了,
but whilst we built her, a Frenchman took a boat 25 percent bigger than her
但我们造她的同时,一个法国人用了一艘比它的体积大25%的船,
and not only did he make it, but he took the record from 93 days
他不仅成功完成了航行,而且把记录从93天
right down to 72.
降到了72天。
The bar was now much, much higher.
现在,这个时间更是被大大缩短了。
And these boats were exciting to sail.
而且用这些船航行是非常棒的体验。
This was a training sail off the French coast.
这是一个法国海岸附近的训练船。
This I know well because I was one of the five crew members on board.
我很了解这艘船,因为我曾是上面的5名船员之一。
Five seconds is all it took from everything being fine
只需要5秒钟,我们的世界就会从一切还好
to our world going black as the windows were thrust underwater,
变成一片漆黑,因为我们的窗户会进入水下,
and that five seconds goes quickly.
而那五秒很快。
Just see how far below those guys the sea is.
只要看看这些家伙比海面高多少就知道了。
Imagine that alone in the Southern Ocean
想象一下独自在南大洋,
plunged into icy water, thousands of miles away from land.
在与陆地相隔千里的地方陷入冰冷的水中。
It was Christmas Day.
那是个圣诞节,
I was forging into the Southern Ocean underneath Australia.
我在澳大利亚南面的南大洋航行。
The conditions were horrendous.
当时的条件很恶劣。
I was approaching a part in the ocean
我正在接近一块距离
which was 2,000 miles away from the nearest town.
最近的城镇也有2000英里的海域。
The nearest land was Antarctica, and the nearest people
最近的陆地是南极洲,而最近的人
would be those manning the European Space Station above me.
应该是我上面的那些欧洲空间站的宇航员。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
You really are in the middle of nowhere.
这里真的是前不着村后不着店。
If you need help,
如果你需要帮助,
and you're still alive,
并且还能撑一段时间,
it takes four days for a ship to get to you
一艘船也需要花上四天才能抵达你所在的地方,
and then four days for that ship to get you back to port.
然后再用四天把你带回去。
No helicopter can reach you out there,
没有直升机可以到那儿,
and no plane can land.
也没有飞机可以降落。
We are forging ahead of a huge storm.
我们在巨大的风暴中艰难前行。
Within it, there was 80 knots of wind,
这里的风速达到80海里每小时,
which was far too much wind for the boat and I to cope with.
这远远超过了一艘船和我个人可以控制的范围。
The waves were already 40 to 50 feet high,
浪高达40至50英尺,
and the spray from the breaking crests
破浪的时候产生的水雾
was blown horizontally like snow in a blizzard.
像暴风雪一样横扫过来。
If we didn't sail fast enough, we'd be engulfed by that storm,
如果我们的航行速度不够快,就会被那场风暴吞没,
and either capsized or smashed to pieces.
要么翻船,要么粉身碎骨。
We were quite literally hanging on for our lives and doing so on a knife edge.
毫不夸张地说,我们是把命悬在了刀锋上。
The speed I so desperately needed brought with it danger.
我迫切需要的速度带来了危险。
We all know what it's like driving a car 20 miles an hour, 30, 40.
我们都知道每小时驾车20英里是什么感觉,或者30,40英里,
It's not too stressful. We can concentrate.
这不会让人觉得太紧张,集中注意力就好。
We can turn on the radio.
我们甚至还能听点广播节目。
Take that 50, 60, 70, accelerate through to 80, 90, 100 miles an hour.
但是当速度从50,60,70,加速到80,90,100英里每小时,
Now you have white knuckles and you're gripping the steering wheel.
现在你会感到极度紧张,需要牢牢地抓住方向盘。
Now take that car off road at night
现在假设你在晚上把车开离公路,
and remove the windscreen wipers, the windscreen,
并且拆掉雨刷和挡风玻璃,
the headlights and the brakes.
还有头灯和刹车。
That's what it's like in the Southern Ocean.
这就是在南大洋(航行)的感觉。
(Laughter) (Applause)
(笑声)(掌声)
You could imagine
你可以想象
it would be quite difficult to sleep in that situation,
在那种情况下很难睡着,
even as a passenger.
即便只是作为乘客。
But you're not a passenger.
但你不是个乘客。
You're alone on a boat you can barely stand up in,
你独自在船上,连保持站立的姿势都很困难,
and you have to make every single decision on board.
还必须独自在船上做出每一个决定。
I was absolutely exhausted, physically and mentally.
我绝对已经精疲力竭了,不管是身体上还是精神上。
Eight sail changes in 12 hours.
12个小时内八个航行变化。
The mainsail weighed three times my body weight,
主帆的重量是我体重的三倍,
and after each change,
每次改变航向后,
I would collapse on the floor soaked with sweat
我都会大汗淋漓地瘫坐下来,
with this freezing Southern Ocean air burning the back of my throat.
冰冷的南大洋空气不断侵蚀着我的喉咙。
But out there, those lowest of the lows
但在那种情况下,绝境往往能够带来
are so often contrasted with the highest of the highs.
意想不到的惊喜和成功。
A few days later, we came out of the back of the low.
几天后,我们总算度过了最艰难的时期。
Against all odds, we'd been able to drive ahead of the record within that depression.
排除万难后,我们在重压之下终于打破了航行的记录。
The sky cleared, the rain stopped,
天空放晴,雨也停了,
and our heartbeat, the monstrous seas around us were transformed
而我们的心跳和滔天巨浪,
into the most beautiful moonlit mountains.
也转化成了铺满月光的群山,美不胜收。
It's hard to explain, but you enter a different mode when you head out there.
这很难解释,但你到达那里的时候,你就进入了不同的模式。
Your boat is your entire world,
船就是你的整个世界,
and what you take with you when you leave is all you have.
而你离开时携带的东西也是你的全部家当。
If I said to you all now, "Go off into Vancouver
如果我现在对你们说:“去温哥华
and find everything you will need for your survival for the next three months,"
找到你在接下来三个月生存所需要的一切东西,”
that's quite a task.
这可是一项艰巨的任务。
That's food, fuel, clothes,
那包括食物,燃料,衣服,
even toilet roll and toothpaste.
甚至卫生纸和牙膏。
That's what we do,
这就是我们做的,
and when we leave we manage it
当我们离开时,准备计划需要精细到
down to the last drop of diesel and the last packet of food.
最后一滴油和最后一包食物。
No experience in my life
在我的生命中,
could have given me a better understanding of the definition of the word "finite."
没有任何经历可以像这样让我理解到“有限”这个词的意义。
What we have out there is all we have.
我们带到那儿的就是全部家当。
There is no more.
不可能有任何补给。
And never in my life had I ever translated that definition of finite
而我从没在生命中经历过
that I'd felt on board to anything outside of sailing
航行时在船上感受到的这种“有限”的概念,
until I stepped off the boat at the finish line having broken that record.
直到我在终点线下船的时候打破了那个记录。
(Applause)
(掌声)
Suddenly I connected the dots.
突然我找到了一些关联性。
Our global economy is no different.
我们的全球经济其实没有什么不同。
It's entirely dependent on finite materials we only have once in the history of humanity.
它完全依赖于那些我们在人类历史上只会拥有一次的资源。
And it was a bit like seeing something you weren't expecting under a stone
有点像在一块石头下面看到了意想不到的东西,
and having two choices:
你有两种选择:
I either put that stone to one side
要么我把那块石头放一边,
and learn more about it, or I put that stone back
并仔细研究它,或者我把它放回去,
and I carry on with my dream job of sailing around the world.
然后继续我的环球航行梦。
I chose the first.
我选择了第一种。
I put it to one side and I began a new journey of learning,
我把它放在一边,并开始了新的学习旅程。
speaking to chief executives, experts, scientists, economists
跟首席执行官,专家,科学家,经济学家探讨,
to try to understand just how our global economy works.
试图了解我们的全球经济是怎么运行的。
And my curiosity took me to some extraordinary places.
而好奇心把我带到了一些很棒的地方。
This photo was taken in the burner of a coal-fired power station.
这张照片拍摄于一个火力发电站的燃烧炉。
I was fascinated by coal, fundamental to our global energy needs,
我对煤很着迷,它是全球能源需求的最基本来源,
but also very close to my family.
但它也跟我的家庭很有缘。
My great-grandfather was a coal miner,
我的曾祖父是一名煤矿工人,
and he spent 50 years of his life underground.
他在地下矿井工作了50年。
This is a photo of him, and when you see that photo,
这是他的照片当你看到这张照片,
you see someone from another era.
你看到的是另一个时代的人。
No one wears trousers with a waistband quite that high in this day and age. (Laughter)
现在这个年代已经没人穿那么高腰的裤子了。(笑声)
But yet, that's me with my great-grandfather,
不过这就是我和我的曾祖父。
and by the way, they are not his real ears. (Laughter)
顺便说一句,他照片里的耳朵是假的。(笑声)
We were close. I remember sitting on his knee listening to his mining stories.
我们很亲近。我还记得坐在他的膝上听他讲挖煤的故事。
He talked of the camaraderie underground,
他讲过矿井下的友情,
and the fact that the miners used to save the crusts of their sandwiches
还有矿工们曾经省下三明治的外皮,
to give to the ponies they worked with underground.
喂给跟他们一起工作的小马驹吃。
It was like it was yesterday.
感觉就像昨天的事。
And on my journey of learning,
在我学习的旅程中,
I went to the World Coal Association website,
我访问了世界煤炭工业协会的网站,
and there in the middle of the homepage, it said,
在主页的中间位置,有这样一句话:
"We have about 118 years of coal left."
“我们大约还剩118年的煤炭储量。”
And I thought to myself, well, that's well outside my lifetime,
我想,还好,那是我死了很久之后的事儿了,
and a much greater figure than the predictions for oil.
而且比预测的石油储量大多了。
But I did the math, and I realized that my great-grandfather
但我算了下,意识到(搜索的)那一年之前
had been born exactly 118 years before that year,
刚好是我曾祖父118岁诞辰,
and I sat on his knee until I was 11 years old,
而我坐在他的膝上直到11岁,
and I realized it's nothing
我意识到这点时间
in time, nor in history.
在历史的长河中不算什么,
And it made me make a decision I never thought I would make:
这促使我做出了我从没想过的一个决定:
to leave the sport of solo sailing behind me
不再独自航行,
and focus on the greatest challenge I'd ever come across:
而专注于我遇到的最大的挑战上:
the future of our global economy.
全球经济的未来。
And I quickly realized it wasn't just about energy.
很快我就意识到不仅仅能源是有限的。
It was also materials.
各种材料也是。
In 2008, I picked up a scientific study
2008年,我做了一个科学研究,
looking at how many years we have
看看那些需要通过地下开采获得的
of valuable materials to extract from the ground:
有价值的原料还有多少年的储量。
copper, 61; tin, zinc, 40; silver, 29.
铜,61年;锡,锌,40年;银,29年。
These figures couldn't be exact, but we knew those materials were finite.
这些数字可能并不准确,但我们知道这些资源都是有限的,
We only have them once.
用完即枯竭,不可再生。
And yet, our speed that we've used these materials has increased rapidly,
然而,我们使用这些材料的速度一直在迅速增长,
exponentially.
甚至是指数增长。
With more people in the world with more stuff,
随着世界人口越来越多,产品也更多,
we've effectively seen 100 years of price declines
我们已经看到100年来基本商品价格的
in those basic commodities erased in just 10 years.
下降趋势在短短10年内就被打破了。
And this affects all of us.
这会影响我们所有的人。
It's brought huge volatility in prices,
它带来了价格的巨大波动,
so much so that in 2011,
以至于在2011年,
your average European car manufacturer
普通的欧洲汽车制造商都看到
saw a raw material price increase of 500 million Euros,
原材料价格上涨了5亿欧元,
wiping away half their operating profits
吞噬了他们一半的营业利润,
through something they have absolutely no control over.
而面对这一切他们却束手无策。
And the more I learned, the more I started to change my own life.
随着我的了解逐渐深入,我的生活也开始发生了改变。
I started traveling less, doing less, using less.
我开始减少旅行的次数,过更平淡的生活,避免浪费。
It felt like actually doing less was what we had to do.
好像减少浪费是我们不得不做的。
But it sat uneasy with me.
但是这很难做到。
It didn't feel right.
也许并不是个好方法。
It felt like we were buying ourselves time.
好像我们在给自己买时间。
We were eking things out a bit longer.
我们只是勉强把使用时间延长了一点点。
Even if everybody changed, it wouldn't solve the problem.
即使每个人都开始节约,也无法解决根本的问题。
It wouldn't fix the system.
无法修复整个系统。
It was vital in the transition, but what fascinated me was,
过渡的过程至关重要,但是使我着迷的是
in the transition to what? What could actually work?
要过渡到什么样的状态?到底什么才是行之有效的方法?
It struck me that the system itself, the framework within which we live,
我突然意识到系统本身,我们生活的框架
is fundamentally flawed,
是有根本缺陷的,
and I realized ultimately
最终我意识到,
that our operating system, the way our economy functions,
我们的操作系统,经济运作方式,
the way our economy's been built, is a system in itself.
经济的建设方式,这一切本身就自成系统。
At sea, I had to understand complex systems.
在海上,我必须了解复杂的系统。
I had to take multiple inputs,
我不得不提出多种指令,
I had to process them,
不得不处理它们,
and I had to understand the system to win.
要想赢,我就得去了解这个系统。
I had to make sense of it.
我得搞懂这一切。
And as I looked at our global economy, I realized it too is that system,
当我看着全球经济的时候,我意识到它也是这样的系统,
but it's a system that effectively can't run in the long term.
但这个系统不能有效地长期运行。
And I realized we've been perfecting what's effectively a linear economy for 150 years,
我还意识到我们已经在过去的150年中完善了有效的线性经济,
where we take a material out of the ground,
我们从地下开采原料,
we make something out of it, and then ultimately
做成产品,最后
that product gets thrown away, and yes, we do recycle some of it,
扔掉那个产品,当然,我们也回收一些东西,
but more an attempt to get out what we can at the end,
但更多的是尝试在最后尽点力回收,
not by design.
而不是事先设计好的。
It's an economy that fundamentally can't run in the long term,
这是一个从根本上就不可能长期运行的经济,
and if we know that we have finite materials,
如果我们知道我们只有有限的原料,
why would we build an economy that would effectively use things up, that would create waste?
为什么还要建立一个快速消耗,并会造成浪费的 经济系统呢?
Life itself has existed for billions of years
生命本身已经存在了数十亿年,
and has continually adapted to use materials effectively.
并不断适应有效地使用原料。
It's a complex system, but within it, there is no waste.
这是一个复杂的系统,但在这个系统内没有浪费。
Everything is metabolized.
一切都被代谢掉了。
It's not a linear economy at all, but circular.
这完全不是线性经济,它是循环的,
And I felt like the child in the garden.
我就像个孩子在花园中。
For the first time on this new journey, I could see exactly where we were headed.
在这个学习的旅程中,我第一次看清了前进的方向。
If we could build an economy that would use things rather than use them up,
如果我们可以建立一种使用原料而不是耗尽原料的经济,
we could build a future that really could work in the long term.
我们就可以建立一个让一切长期运转的未来。
I was excited.
我很激动。
This was something to work towards.
这是可以努力的方向。
We knew exactly where we were headed. We just had to work out how to get there,
一旦知道要做什么,只需要找出实现目标的途径就行了,
and it was exactly with this in mind
于是有了这个想法之后,
that we created the Ellen MacArthur Foundation in September 2010.
我们于2010年9月创建了Ellen MacArthur基金。
Many schools of thought fed our thinking and pointed to this model:
学校的教育塑造了我们的思维并指向了这种模式:
industrial symbiosis, performance economy, sharing economy, biomimicry,
产业共生,性能经济,共享经济,仿生学,
and of course, cradle-to-cradle design.
当然,还有初始到初始的循环设计。
Materials would be defined as either technical or biological,
原料可以是技术性的或生物类的,
waste would be designed out entirely,
垃圾会被完全设计出来。
and we would have a system that could function absolutely in the long term.
我们将会有一个绝对长期有效的系统。
So what could this economy look like?
那么,这个经济会是什么样子?
Maybe we wouldn't buy light fittings, but we'd pay for the service of light,
也许我们不会买灯具但是我们可以付照明费,
and the manufacturers would recover the materials
而厂家将回收这些材料
and change the light fittings when we had more efficient products.
并用更高效的产品改变灯具的性能。
What if packaging was so nontoxic it could dissolve in water
如果包装可溶于水并无毒,
and we could ultimately drink it? It would never become waste.
最后还能被喝掉呢?它就永远不会变成废品。
What if engines were re-manufacturable,
如果引擎可以重新制造呢?
and we could recover the component materials
我们就可以回收组件材料,
and significantly reduce energy demand.
从而显著降低能源需求。
What if we could recover components from circuit boards, reutilize them,
如果我们可以从电路板回收部件,并重新利用,
and then fundamentally recover the materials within them
然后经过第二阶段
through a second stage?
从根本上回收其中的材料呢?
What if we could collect food waste, human waste?
如果我们可以收集食品垃圾,人类排泄物呢?
What if we could turn that into fertilizer, heat, energy,
如果我们可以把他们转化成肥料,热和其他能源,
ultimately reconnecting nutrients systems and rebuilding natural capital?
并最终把整个营养系统联系起来重建自然资本呢?
And cars -- what we want is to move around.
还有汽车——我们需要的只是变换地点。
We don't need to own the materials within them.
我们并不需要去拥有这些材料。
Could cars become a service
汽车可以成为一种服务,
and provide us with mobility in the future?
并在未来为我们提供移动性吗?
All of this sounds amazing, but these aren't just ideas, they're real today,
这些听起来很神奇,但它们不再只是想法,如今已经实现了,
and these lie at the forefront of the circular economy.
而且位于循环经济的最前沿。
What lies before us is to expand them and scale them up.
我们面临是要如何扩展他们并规模化。
So how would you shift from linear to circular?
所以,要如何将线性经济转向循环经济?
Well, the team and I at the foundation thought you might want to work
我和我的团队基本的想法是
with the top universities in the world,
也许可以跟世界的顶尖大学合作,
with leading businesses within the world,
与全球的尖端企业合作,
with the biggest convening platforms in the world,
跟世界上最大的集合平台合作,
and with governments.
还有政府。
We thought you might want to work with the best analysts
我们认为你也许想和世界上最好的分析师工作,
and ask them the question,
并问他们一些问题,
"Can the circular economy decouple growth from resource constraints?
“可循环经济能够挣脱资源约束吗?
Is the circular economy able to rebuild natural capital?
可循环经济能重建自然资本吗?
Could the circular economy replace current chemical fertilizer use?"
可循环经济能取代现在的化肥吗?”
Yes was the answer to the decoupling,
答案是,是的,
but also yes, we could replace current fertilizer use
而且是的,我们还可以取代现代化肥,
by a staggering 2.7 times.
并实现惊人的2.7倍的效果。
But what inspired me most about the circular economy
但是循环经济激发我最多的是,
was its ability to inspire young people.
它能给年轻人带来启发。
When young people see the economy through a circular lens,
当年轻人通过循环透镜看经济的时候,
they see brand new opportunities on exactly the same horizon.
他们以同样的眼界看到了全新的机会。
They can use their creativity and knowledge
他们可以用自己的创造力和知识
to rebuild the entire system,
来重建整个系统,
and it's there for the taking right now,
而且现在就可以采取行动,
and the faster we do this, the better.
越早越好。
So could we achieve this in their lifetimes?
那么我们可以在有生之年实现这些吗?
Is it actually possible?
这真的可能吗?
I believe yes.
我相信这是可能的。
When you look at the lifetime of my great-grandfather, anything's possible.
看看我曾祖父的一生,什么都有可能发生。
When he was born, there were only 25 cars in the world;
他出生时,世界上只有25辆汽车;
they had only just been invented.
这些汽车也才刚被发明。
When he was 14, we flew for the first time in history.
他14岁时,我们实现了历史上第一次飞行。
Now there are 100,000 charter flights every single day.
而现在每一天就有10万正常的航班飞来飞去。
When he was 45, we built the first computer.
他45岁的时候,我们建造了第一台计算机,
Many said it wouldn't catch on, but it did, and just 20 years later
许多人说计算机不会流行起来,但他们错了,而且仅仅20年后,
we turned it into a microchip
我们就把它变成了一个微芯片,
of which there will be thousands in this room here today.
今天仅在这个房间里就有成千上万个。
Ten years before he died, we built the first mobile phone.
他去世的10年前,我们有了第一个移动电话。
It wasn't that mobile, to be fair,
老实说,那时候其实不怎么移动,
but now it really is,
但现在真的是移动的了,
and as my great-grandfather left this Earth, the Internet arrived.
在我曾祖父去世的时候,互联网出现了。
Now we can do anything,
现在,我们可以做任何事情,
but more importantly,
但更重要是,
now we have a plan.
现在我们有了个计划。
Thank you.
谢谢。
(Applause)
(掌声)