声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
Someone who looks like me walks past you in the street.
在街上如果有看起来和我很像的人经过你身边
Do you think they're a mother,
你会认为他们是母亲?
a refugee
难民?
or a victim of oppression?
还是压迫下的受害者?
Or do you think they're a cardiologist,
或者你会认为他们是心脏病专家?
a barrister
法庭律师?
or maybe your local politician?
或者当地的政客?
Do you look me up and down,
你会上下打量我
wondering how hot I must get
猜想我该觉得有多热
or if my husband has forced me to wear this outfit?
或者我的丈夫是否强迫我穿成这样
What if I wore my scarf like this?
如果我把围巾戴成这样呢
I can walk down the street in the exact same outfit
我可以装扮得完全一样走过街道
and what the world expects of me and the way I'm treated
周围人对我的看法和态度
depends on the arrangement of this piece of cloth.
都取决于我怎么佩戴这块头巾
But this isn't going to be another monologue about the hijab
这并不是又一个关于伊斯兰妇女头巾的独白
because Lord knows, Muslim women are so much more than the piece of cloth
因为上帝知道伊斯兰妇女远不是一条头巾就能代表的
they choose, or not, to wrap their head in.
无论他们是否选择佩戴
This is about looking beyond your bias.
这是一个关于抛弃个人偏见的问题
What if I walked past you and later on
如果我走过你的身旁
you'd found out that actually I was a race car engineer,
之后你发现我实际上是一名赛车工程师
and that I designed my own race car and I ran my university's race team,
设计了自己的赛车组织了自己的大学赛车队呢?
because it's true.
因为这是真的
What if I told you that I was actually trained as a boxer for five years,
如果我告诉你我其实做了五年拳击手呢?
because that's true, too.
因为这也是事实
Would it surprise you?
你会感到惊讶吗?
Why?
为什么?
Ladies and gentlemen, ultimately,
先生们、女士们总之
that surprise and the behaviors associated with it
你们感到的惊讶和作出的行为
are the product of something called unconscious bias,
是无意识里偏见的产物
or implicit prejudice.
或者说隐形偏见的产物
And that results in the ridiculously detrimental
结果这导致了严重有害的后果
lack of diversity in our workforce,
那就是劳动力中多样性的缺乏
particularly in areas of influence.
尤其是在具有较强影响力的领域
Hello, Australian Federal Cabinet.
嗨,澳大利亚联邦内阁
(Applause)
(掌声)
Let me just set something out from the outset:
我想先讲讲这个
Unconscious bias is not the same as conscious discrimination.
无意识偏见不同于有意识的歧视
I'm not saying that in all of you, there's a secret sexist or racist
我并非指在座各位都是秘密的性别歧视者或种族歧视者
or ageist lurking within, waiting to get out.
或年龄歧视者你们等待着把歧视公之于众
That's not what I'm saying.
我并非这个意思
We all have our biases.
我们都有自己的偏见
They're the filters through which we see the world around us.
偏见是我们观察这个世界的过滤器
I'm not accusing anyone,
我不是在指责任何人
bias is not an accusation.
偏见并非罪过
Rather, it's something that has to be identified,
反而我们需要意识到这些偏见
acknowledged and mitigated against.
承认偏见,减轻偏见
Bias can be about race,
偏见可以是关于种族
it can be about gender.
可以是关于性别
It can also be about class, education, disability.
也可以是关于阶级、教育程度和残障
The fact is, we all have biases against what's different,
事实上,我们都对与众不同的事物抱有偏见
what's different to our social norms.
对那些和社会习俗不同的事物抱有偏见
The thing is, if we want to live in a world
问题是如果我们希望
where the circumstances of your birth
自己出身的环境
do not dictate your future
不会决定我们的未来
and where equal opportunity is ubiquitous,
到处都是平等的机会的话
then each and every one of us has a role to play
那么我们每个人都要做出努力
in making sure unconscious bias does not determine our lives.
确保无意识偏见无法决定我们的命运
There's this really famous experiment in the space of unconscious bias
曾有一个著名的关于性别领域中无意识偏见的实验
and that's in the space of gender in the 1970s and 1980s.
那是在上世纪七八十年代
So orchestras, back in the day, were made up mostly of dudes,
当时的交响乐团大部分都由男性组成
up to only five percent were female.
只有5%的女性成员
And apparently, that was because men played it differently,
显然这是因为
presumably better, presumably.
人们假设男性成员演奏得更好
But in 1952, The Boston Symphony Orchestra
但在1952年波士顿交响乐团
started an experiment.
开始了一项实验
They started blind auditions.
他们开始了“盲听”选拔
So rather than face-to-face auditions, you would have to play behind a screen.
演奏者在幕布后面演奏而不是进行面对面的试音
Now funnily enough,
非常有趣的是
no immediate change was registered
事情并没有立刻发生变化
until they asked the audition-ers to take their shoes off before they entered the room.
直到演奏者被要求在进入试音房间前脱去鞋子
because the clickity-clack of the heels
因为光是鞋跟踩在硬木地板上的嗒嗒声
against the hardwood floors was enough to give the ladies away.
就足以出卖那些女性演奏者
Now get this,
于是
there results of the audition showed that there was a 50 percent increased chance
试音的结果表示
a woman would progress past the preliminary stage.
女性演奏员通过试音前几关的机会提高了50%
And it almost tripled their chances of getting in.
她们最后通过的几率提高了3倍
What does that tell us?
这个故事告诉了我们什么呢
Well, unfortunately for the guys, men actually didn't play differently,
不幸的是我得告诉男士们男性并没有演奏得更好
but there was the perception that they did.
只是大家这样以为罢了
And it was that bias that was determining their outcome.
正是这种偏见决定了他们的结果
So what we're doing here is identifying and acknowledging
所以我们现在要做的就是
that a bias exists.
认识到并且承认偏见是存在的
And look, we all do it.
我们都有
Let me give you an example.
让我来举个列子
A son and his father are in a horrible car accident.
一个儿子和他的父亲遭遇了一场可怕的车祸
The father dies on impact
父亲当场死亡
and the son, who's severely injured, is rushed to hospital.
而身受重伤的儿子被送去了医院
The surgeon looks at the son when they arrive and is like,
当他们到达后外科医生看着儿子说
"I can't operate."
我不能进行手术
Why?
为什么呢?
"The boy is my son."
这个男孩是我儿子
How can that be?
怎么会呢?
Ladies and gentlemen,
女士先生们
the surgeon is his mother.
那名外科医生是他的母亲
Now hands up -- and it's okay --
现在举手没有关系
but hands up if you initially assumed the surgeon was a guy?
但如果你最假设那名医生是男性的观众请举手。
There's evidence that that unconscious bias exists,
有证据表明无意识偏见是存在的
but we all just have to acknowledge that it's there
只是我们需要承认它的存在
and then look at ways that we can move past it so that we can look at solutions.
并寻求解决方法
Now one of the interesting things around the space of unconscious bias is the topic of quotas.
在无意识偏见领域有一个很有趣的话题就是选拔问题
And this something that's often brought up.
这是经常会被提到的问题
And of of the criticisms is this idea of merit.
被诟病最多的就是有关优点这一概念
Look, I don't want to be picked because I'm a chick,
听着我不想因为我长得漂亮被挑选
I want to be picked because I have merit,
我想因为有能力而被挑选
because I'm the best person for the job.
因为我是最适合这份工作的人
It's a sentiment that's pretty common among female engineers
这是很多女性工程师都有的想法
that I work with and that I know.
至少我共事过的我认识的都是这样
And yeah, I get it, I've been there.
是啊,我理解我也这样想过
But, if the merit idea was true,
但如果真是这样的话
why would identical resumes, in an experiment done in 2012 by Yale,
为何在耶鲁大学2012年所做的一个实验中
identical resumes sent out for a lab technician,
应聘实验室技术人员时发出的两份完全相同的简历
why would Jennifers be deemed less competent,
会使得面试人认为约翰比詹妮弗能力更高
be less likely to be offered the job,
更有可能得到工作
and be paid less than Johns.
得到更高的工资呢
The unconscious bias is there,
无意识偏见的确存在
but we just have to look at how we can move past it.
只是我们需要想办法克服它
And, you know, it's interesting,
而且有趣的是
there's some research that talks about
有过很多研究
why this is the case and it's called the merit paradox.
都在讨论这类问题这被称作优点悖论
And in organizations -- and this is kind of ironic --
对很多机构来说有点讽刺的是
in organizations that talk about merit being their primary value-driver
那些声称雇佣人才时
in terms of who they hire,
首先考虑应聘者自身价值的机构
they were more likely to hire dudes and more likely to pay the guys more
都更倾向于雇佣男性付给男性更高工资
because apparently merit is a masculine quality.
因为优秀显然是男性的特质
But, hey.
但是,嘿
So you guys think you've got a good read on me,
所以你们以为已经了解我了
you kinda think you know what's up.
你们以为你们知道是怎么回事
Can you imagine me running one of these?
但你们能想象我来做这件事吗
Can you imagine me walking in and being like,
你们能想象我走进屋子然后说
"Hey boys, this is what's up. This is how it's done."
嘿各位,就得这样了没办法
Well, I'm glad you can.
那好吧,我很欣慰你们能想象出来
(Applause)
(掌声)
Because ladies and gentlemen, that's my day job.
因为女士们、先生们这就是我每天的工作
And the cool thing about it is that it's pretty entertaining.
其中好的一点就是这做起来挺愉快的
Actually, in places like Malaysia,
其实在马来西亚这类地方
Muslim women on rigs isn't even comment-worthy.
船上的穆斯林女人不足为奇
There are that many of them.
因为她们比比皆是
But, it is entertaining.
但是有时候挺有趣的
I remember, I was telling one of the guys,
我记得我对一个男人说
"Hey, mate, look, I really want to learn how to surf."
嘿,老兄我真的很想学冲浪
And he's like, "Yassmin, I don't know how you can surf
然后他说Yassmin我真的不知道你该怎么冲浪
with all that gear you've got on,
因为你穿成那样
and I don't know any women-only beaches."
而且我也不知道有只允许女人去的海滩
And then, the guy came up with a brilliant idea,
紧接着这个人想出了一个绝妙的点子
he was like, "I know, you run that organization
他说我知道了你不是在运营那个组织吗
Youth Without Borders, right?
叫年轻无极限对吧?
Why don't you start a clothing line for Muslim chicks in beaches.
你可以在海滩上组织一场穆斯林姑娘的时装秀嘛
You can call it Youth Without Boardshorts."
你可以管它叫年轻无泳裤
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And I was like, "Thanks, guys."
于是我说谢了,兄弟
And I remember another bloke telling me that
我还记得另一个家伙对我说
I should eat all the yogurt I could
我可以把能吃到的酸奶都吃了
because that was the only culture I was going to get around there.
因为我在那个地方只能学到这一种文化
But, the problem is, it's kind of true
不过,问题是他说的没什么大错
because there's an intense lack of diversity in our workforce,
因为我们的劳动人员队伍十分缺乏多样性
particularly in places of influence.
尤其是在有影响力的领域
Now, in 2010,
现在,在2010年时
The Australian National University did an experiment
澳大利亚国立大学进行了一项实验
where they sent out 4,000 identical applications
他们发出了4000份完全相同的申请
to entry level jobs, essentially.
主要是申请一些差不多的工作结果表明
To get the same number of interviews as someone with an Anglo-Saxon name,
如果想得到和有欧美人名字的申请者一样多的面试机会
if you were Chinese, you had to send out 68 percent more applications.
如果你是中国人你需要多申请68次
If you were Middle Eastern -- Abdel-Magied --
如果你是中东人
you had to send out 64 percent,
你需要多申请64次
and if you're Italian, you're pretty lucky,
如果你是意大利人还是挺幸运的
you only have to send out 12 percent more.
你只需要多申请12次
In places like Silicon Valley, it's not that much better.
在硅谷之类的地方情况也不太乐观
In Google, they put out some diversity results
在谷歌人员构成大概为
and 61 percent white, 30 percent Asian and nine, a bunch of blacks, Hispanics,
61%白人、30%亚裔人、9%黑人和西班牙裔人
all that kind of thing.
到处都是一样
And the rest of the tech world is not that much better
整个科技行业都差不多
and they've acknowledged it,
他们已经承认了事实
but I'm not really sure what they're doing about it.
但我并不知道他们打算做点什么
The thing is, it doesn't trickle up.
情况并没有好转
In a study done by Green Park,
Green Park公司是英国一家高级酒店连锁集团
who are a British senior exec supplier,
它作出的一项研究显示
they said that over half of the FTSE 100 companies
富时100指数中超过半数的公司
don't have a nonwhite leader at their board level,
其董事层都是完全由白人组成的
executive or non-executive.
无论他们有没有执行权
And two out of every three don't have an executive
并且在三分之二的公司中有执行权的董事
who's from a minority.
都不是来自少数种族
And most of the minorities that are at that sort of level
董事级别的少数族人
are non-executive board directors.
大多是非执行董事
So their influence isn't that great.
所以他们的权力不大
I've told you a bunch of terrible things.
我已经给你们讲了很多坏事了
You're like, "Oh my god, how bad is that? What can I do about it?"
你们一定觉得,天呐,这么惨,我能做点什么
Well, fortunately,
嗯,好事就是
we've identified that there's a problem.
你们已经认识到问题的存在了
There's a lack of opportunity, and that's due to unconscious bias.
由于潜意识偏见很多人失去了机会
But you might be sitting there thinking,
但你们可能正在想
"I ain't brown. What's that got to do with me?"
反正我是白人和我有什么关系呢
Let me offer you a solution.
我来告诉你吧
And as I've said before,
正如我刚才讲的
we live in a world where we're looking for an ideal.
我们活在世上都在追求理想的世界
And if we want to create a world
如果我们希望
where the circumstances of your birth don't matter,
自己出身的环境不再那么重要
we all have to be part of the solution.
我们都得参与进来一起解决
And interestingly, the author of the lab resume experiment
有趣的是那个实验室简历实验的作者
offered some sort of a solution.
提出了一些解决方案
She said the one thing that brought the successful women together,
她说使成功女性聚在一起的一件事
the one thing that they had in common,
成功女性共有的一个特点
was the fact that they had good mentors.
就是她们都得到了很好的教导
So mentoring, we've all kind of heard that before,
教导我们差不多都听说过一些
it's in the vernacular.
这是方言里的说法
Here's another challenge for you.
现在我又要给你们提出一个挑战
I challenge each and every one of you to mentor someone different.
我希望你们每人都来教导一个人
Think about it.
想想吧
Everyone wants to mentor someone who kind of is familiar,
每个人都想要教导一个熟悉的
who looks like us,
和我们相似的
we have shared experiences.
有共同经历的人
If I see a Muslim chick who's got a bit of attitude,
如果我看见一个穆斯林姑娘态度还不错
I'm like, "What's up? We can hang out."
我可能就会说怎么样我们可以一起出去玩
You walk into a room and there's someone who went to the same school,
你走进一间屋子看见屋里有你的校友
you play the same sports,
或者你们玩同一种运动
there's a high chance that you're going to want to help that person out.
很可能你就会帮助那个人
But for the person in the room who has no shared experiences with you
但对于屋子里和你没有共同经历的人来说
it becomes extremely difficult to find that connection.
想要找到那种联系是极其困难的
The idea of finding someone different to mentor,
找一个与你不同的陌生人来教导他
someone who doesn't come from the same background as you,
找一个和你背景不同的人
whatever that background is,
无论是什么背景
is about opening doors for people who couldn't even get
这件事意味着对他人敞开大门
to the damn hallway.
虽然他可能离门还有很远
Because ladies and gentlemen, the world is not just.
因为女士们、先生们这个世界是不公平的
People are not born with equal opportunity.
人们生来机会便不均等
I was born in one of the poorest cities in the world, Khartoum.
我生在世界上最穷的城市之一喀土穆
I was born brown, I was born female,
我是棕色人种,我是女人
and I was born Muslim in a world that is pretty suspicious of us
我还是穆斯林这世界对穆斯林有太多偏见
for reasons I can't control.
我控制不了
However, I also acknowledge the fact that I was born with privilege.
但是,我也同时承认我生来带有优势
I was born with amazing parents,
我的父母开明
I was given an education
我受到良好教育
and had the blessing of migrating to Australia.
还有幸移民到澳大利亚
But also, I've been blessed with amazing mentors
但与此同时我还很幸运的遇见了好的指路人
who've opened doors for me that I didn't even know were there.
他们甚至还不了解我就为我打开了门
A mentor who said to me,
一位导师曾对我说
"Hey, your story's interesting.
嘿,你的故事很有趣
Let's write something about it so that I can share it with people."
我们写点什么吧这样我就能和人们分享了
A mentor who said,
另一位导师说
"I know you're all those things that don't belong on an Australian rig,
我知道你看起来不像澳大利亚的人
but come on anyway."
但还是来吧
And here I am, talking to you.
所以我现在才能在这里和你们说话
And I'm not the only one.
我不是唯一一个
There's all sorts of people in my communities
在我所处的社会中有各类人们
that I see have been helped out by mentors.
他们都被良师拯救了我亲眼所见
A young Muslim man in Sydney
悉尼的一个年轻穆斯林
who ended up using his mentor's help
最后靠着导师的帮助
to start up a poetry slam in Bankstown
在班克斯镇创立了一个诗歌会
and now it's a huge thing.
现在已经做得很大
And he's able to change the lives of so many other young people.
他能够改变许多年轻人的生活
Or a lady here in Brisbane,
还有一位布里斯班的女士
an Afghan lady who's a refugee,
是一位阿富汗难民
who could barely speak English when she came to Australia,
刚来澳大利亚时还不怎么会说英语
her mentors helped her become a doctor
她的导师帮助她成为了一名医生
and she took our Young Queenslander of the Year Award in 2008.
她还获得了2008年的年轻昆士兰之星奖
She's an inspiration.
她的经历十分鼓舞人
This is so not smooth.
虽然她经历了很多困难
This is me.
这个人就是我
But I'm also the woman in the rig clothes,
但我也是一个穆斯林女人
and I'm also the woman who was in the abaya at the beginning.
起初穿着长袍
Would you have chosen to mentor me if you had seen me
如果你那时看见那样的我
in one of those other versions of who I am?
你会选择成为我的导师吗
Because I'm that same person.
因为现在的我和那时的我是同一个人
We have to look past our unconscious bias,
我们需要超越自己意识不到的偏见
find someone to mentor who's at the opposite end of your spectrum
选择一个最不可能的人来教导
because structural change takes time,
因为社会普遍的改变是需要时间的
and I don't have that level of patience.
我没有那么多的耐心
So if we're going to create a change,
所以如果我们想带来改变
if we're going to create a world
让生活在这个世界中的人们
where we all have those kinds of opportunities,
都能享有各种各样的机会
then choose to open doors for people.
那么就请向他人敞开大门吧
Because you might think that diversity has nothing to do with you,
因为你或许认为多样性和你无关
but we are all part of this system
但我们都是多样性系统中的一部分
and we can all be part of that solution.
我们也可以一同解决现存的问题
And if you don't know where to find someone different,
并且如果你不知道该去哪找不一样的人
go to the places you wouldn't usually go.
就去你不常去的地方
If you enroll in private high school tutoring,
如果你在私立高中上学
go to your local state school
就去当地公立学校
or maybe just drop into your local refugee tutoring center.
或者去当地难民教育中心看看
Or perhaps you work at an office.
如果你在办公室工作
Take out that new grad who looks totally out of place --
就教教那个看起来格格不入的新毕业生
cause that was me --
因为那就像我
and open doors for them,
并且为他们敞开大门
not in a tokenistic way, because we're not victims,
不只是做做样子而已因为这对我们没有害处
but show them the opportunities
向他们展示机会
because opening up your world
因为当你打开你的世界
will make you realize that you have access to doors
你会意识到你所拥有的机会
that they didn't even know existed
是他们根本想象不到的
and you didn't even know they didn't have.
而你从前并不知道
Ladies and gentlemen,
女士们、先生们
there is a problem in our community with lack of opportunity,
我们的社会存在着缺乏机会的问题
especially due to unconscious bias.
这尤其是无意识偏见造成的
But each and every one one of you has the potential to change that.
但你们每个人都有能力改变它
I know you've been given a lot of challenges today,
我知道你们今天已经接受很多挑战了
but if you can take this one piece and think about it a little differently,
但希望你能想想这件事以一种不同的方式思考
because diversity is magic.
因为多样性是奇妙的
And I encourage you to look past your initial perceptions
此外我鼓励你们回顾自己最初的想法
because I bet you,
因为我打赌
they're probably wrong.
那些想法可能是错的
Thank you.
谢谢
(Applause)
(掌声)