声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
So. I'll be speaking to you using language ...
[AI] 所以我会用语言和你说话。。。
because I can.
[AI] 因为我能。
This is one these magical abilities that we humans have.
[AI] 这就是我们人类拥有的一种神奇能力。
We can transmit really complicated thoughts to one another.
[AI] 我们可以相互传递非常复杂的思想。
So what I'm doing right now is. I'm making sounds with my mouth
[AI] 所以我现在要做的是。我用嘴发出声音
as I'm exhaling.
[AI] 当我呼气的时候。
I'm making tones and hisses and puffs.
[AI] 我在发出音调、嘶嘶声和喘息声。
and those are creating air vibrations in the air.
[AI] 这些都在空气中产生空气振动。
Those air vibrations are traveling to you.
[AI] 那些空气振动正在向你传播。
they're hitting your eardrums.
[AI] 他们打到你的耳膜了。
and then your brain takes those vibrations from your eardrums
[AI] 然后你的大脑从你的耳膜接收这些振动
and transforms them into thoughts.
[AI] 并将其转化为思想。
I hope.
[AI] 我希望如此。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
I hope that's happening.
[AI] 我希望是这样。
So because of this ability. we humans are able to transmit our ideas
[AI] 所以因为这个能力。我们人类能够传播我们的思想
across vast reaches of space and time.
[AI] 跨越广阔的时空。
We're able to transmit knowledge across minds.
[AI] 我们能够在头脑中传递知识。
I can put a bizarre new idea in your mind right now.
[AI] 我现在就可以在你脑海里产生一个奇怪的新想法。
I could say.
[AI] 我可以说。
"Imagine a jellyfish waltzing in a library
[AI] 想象一只水母在图书馆里跳华尔兹
while thinking about quantum mechanics."
[AI] 在思考量子力学时。"
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Now. if everything has gone relatively well in your life so far.
[AI] 现在如果到目前为止,你的生活中一切都相对顺利。
you probably haven't had that thought before.
[AI] 你可能以前没想过。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
But now I've just made you think it.
[AI] 但现在我只是让你想想而已。
through language.
[AI] 通过语言。
Now of course. there isn't just one language in the world.
[AI] 当然是现在。世界上不只一种语言。
there are about 7.000 languages spoken around the world.
[AI] 全世界大约有7000种语言。
And all the languages differ from one another in all kinds of ways.
[AI] 所有的语言在各种方面都不同。
Some languages have different sounds.
[AI] 有些语言有不同的发音。
they have different vocabularies.
[AI] 他们有不同的词汇。
and they also have different structures --
[AI] 它们也有不同的结构--
very importantly. different structures.
[AI] 非常重要。不同的结构。
That begs the question:
[AI] 这就引出了一个问题:
Does the language we speak shape the way we think?
[AI] 我们所说的语言塑造了我们的思维方式吗?
Now. this is an ancient question.
[AI] 现在这是一个古老的问题。
People have been speculating about this question forever.
[AI] 人们一直在猜测这个问题。
Charlemagne. Holy Roman emperor. said.
[AI] 查理曼大帝。神圣的罗马皇帝。说。
"To have a second language is to have a second soul" --
[AI] “拥有第二种语言就是拥有第二个灵魂”--
strong statement that language crafts reality.
[AI] 语言塑造现实的强烈声明。
But on the other hand. Shakespeare has Juliet say.
[AI] 但另一方面。莎士比亚有朱丽叶说过。
"What's in a name?
[AI] “名字里有什么?
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
[AI] 玫瑰无论叫什么名字,闻起来都一样甜。"
Well. that suggests that maybe language doesn't craft reality.
[AI] 好这表明,也许语言并不能塑造现实。
These arguments have gone back and forth for thousands of years.
[AI] 这些争论已经反复进行了数千年。
But until recently. there hasn't been any data
[AI] 但直到最近。没有任何数据
to help us decide either way.
[AI] 来帮助我们做出选择。
Recently. in my lab and other labs around the world.
[AI] 不久前在我的实验室和世界各地的其他实验室。
we've started doing research.
[AI] 我们已经开始做研究了。
and now we have actual scientific data to weigh in on this question.
[AI] 现在我们有了实际的科学数据来衡量这个问题。
So let me tell you about some of my favorite examples.
[AI] 让我告诉你一些我最喜欢的例子。
I'll start with an example from an Aboriginal community in Australia
[AI] 我将从澳大利亚土著社区的一个例子开始
that I had the chance to work with.
[AI] 我有机会和他一起工作。
These are the Kuuk Thaayorre people.
[AI] 这些是库克·萨约尔人。
They live in Pormpuraaw at the very west edge of Cape York.
[AI] 他们住在约克角西边的波姆普拉乌。
What's cool about Kuuk Thaayorre is.
[AI] Kuuk Thayorre的酷之处在于。
in Kuuk Thaayorre. they don't use words like "left" and "right."
[AI] 在Kuuk Thayorre。他们不使用“左”和“右”这样的词
and instead. everything is in cardinal directions:
[AI] 而是。一切都朝着基本方向发展:
north. south. east and west.
[AI] 北南方东西方。
And when I say everything. I really mean everything.
[AI] 当我说出一切。我是认真的。
You would say something like.
[AI] 你会这样说。
"Oh. there's an ant on your southwest leg."
[AI] “哦,你的西南腿上有只蚂蚁。”
Or. "Move your cup to the north-northeast a little bit."
[AI] 或“把你的杯子往东北偏北一点。”
In fact. the way that you say "hello" in Kuuk Thaayorre is you say.
[AI] 事实上在Kuuk Thayorre中,你说“你好”的方式就是你说。
"Which way are you going?"
[AI] “你要往哪边走?”
And the answer should be.
[AI] 答案应该是。
"North-northeast in the far distance.
[AI] “遥远的东北偏北。
How about you?"
[AI] 你呢?"
So imagine as you're walking around your day.
[AI] 想象一下,当你在一天中四处走动时。
every person you greet.
[AI] 你问候的每一个人。
you have to report your heading direction.
[AI] 你必须报告你的前进方向。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
But that would actually get you oriented pretty fast. right?
[AI] 但这会让你很快适应环境。正当
Because you literally couldn't get past "hello."
[AI] 因为你真的无法通过“你好”
if you didn't know which way you were going.
[AI] 如果你不知道你要走哪条路。
In fact. people who speak languages like this stay oriented really well.
[AI] 事实上说这种语言的人都能很好地适应环境。
They stay oriented better than we used to think humans could.
[AI] 它们比我们过去认为的人类更好地保持定向。
We used to think that humans were worse than other creatures
[AI] 我们过去认为人类比其他生物更糟糕
because of some biological excuse:
[AI] 因为某些生物学上的借口:
"Oh. we don't have magnets in our beaks or in our scales."
[AI] “哦,我们的喙或鳞片上没有磁铁。”
No; if your language and your culture trains you to do it.
[AI] 不如果你的语言和文化训练你这样做。
actually. you can do it.
[AI] 事实上你能做到。
There are humans around the world who stay oriented really well.
[AI] 全世界都有人很好地适应环境。
And just to get us in agreement
[AI] 只是为了让我们达成一致
about how different this is from the way we do it.
[AI] 这和我们做这件事的方式有多不同。
I want you all to close your eyes for a second
[AI] 我要你们都闭上眼睛一会儿
and point southeast.
[AI] 指向东南方向。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Keep your eyes closed. Point.
[AI] 闭上眼睛。指向
OK. so you can open your eyes.
[AI] 好啊这样你就可以睁开眼睛了。
I see you guys pointing there. there. there. there. there ...
[AI] 我看见你们指着那里。那里那里那里那里
I don't know which way it is myself --
[AI] 我不知道那是我自己--
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
You have not been a lot of help.
[AI] 你帮不了多少忙。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
So let's just say the accuracy in this room was not very high.
[AI] 所以我们就说这个房间的精确度不是很高。
This is a big difference in cognitive ability across languages. right?
[AI] 这是不同语言之间认知能力的巨大差异。正当
Where one group -- very distinguished group like you guys --
[AI] 有一个团体,像你们这样非常杰出的团体--
doesn't know which way is which.
[AI] 不知道哪条路是哪条路。
but in another group.
[AI] 但在另一组。
I could ask a five-year-old and they would know.
[AI] 我可以问一个五岁的孩子,他们就会知道。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
There are also really big differences in how people think about time.
[AI] 人们对时间的看法也有很大的不同。
So here I have pictures of my grandfather at different ages.
[AI] 这里有我祖父不同年龄的照片。
And if I ask an English speaker to organize time.
[AI] 如果我让说英语的人安排时间。
they might lay it out this way.
[AI] 他们可能会这样安排。
from left to right.
[AI] 从左到右。
This has to do with writing direction.
[AI] 这与写作方向有关。
If you were a speaker of Hebrew or Arabic.
[AI] 如果你会说希伯来语或阿拉伯语。
you might do it going in the opposite direction.
[AI] 你可以朝相反的方向做。
from right to left.
[AI] 从右到左。
But how would the Kuuk Thaayorre.
[AI] 但Kuuk Thayorre会怎么做呢。
this Aboriginal group I just told you about. do it?
[AI] 我刚才告诉过你的土著群体。怎么办?
They don't use words like "left" and "right."
[AI] 他们不使用“左”和“右”这样的词
Let me give you hint.
[AI] 让我给你一个暗示。
When we sat people facing south.
[AI] 当我们坐着人们朝南的时候。
they organized time from left to right.
[AI] 他们从左到右安排时间。
When we sat them facing north.
[AI] 当我们让他们朝北坐的时候。
they organized time from right to left.
[AI] 他们从右到左安排时间。
When we sat them facing east.
[AI] 当我们让他们朝东坐的时候。
time came towards the body.
[AI] 时间到了。
What's the pattern?
[AI] 模式是什么?
East to west. right?
[AI] 从东到西。正当
So for them. time doesn't actually get locked on the body at all.
[AI] 对他们来说也是如此。实际上,时间并没有完全锁定在身体上。
it gets locked on the landscape.
[AI] 它被锁定在风景上。
So for me. if I'm facing this way.
[AI] 对我来说也是。如果我面对这条路。
then time goes this way.
[AI] 然后时间就这样过去了。
and if I'm facing this way. then time goes this way.
[AI] 如果我面对这条路。然后时间就这样过去了。
I'm facing this way. time goes this way --
[AI] 我正朝着这个方向。时间是这样的--
very egocentric of me to have the direction of time chase me around
[AI] 我很自私,有时间的方向在追我
every time I turn my body.
[AI] 每次我转动我的身体。
For the Kuuk Thaayorre. time is locked on the landscape.
[AI] 对于Kuuk Thayorre。时间锁定在风景上。
It's a dramatically different way of thinking about time.
[AI] 这是一种截然不同的思考时间的方式。
Here's another really smart human trick.
[AI] 这是另一个真正聪明的人类把戏。
Suppose I ask you how many penguins are there.
[AI] 假设我问你那里有多少只企鹅。
Well. I bet I know how you'd solve that problem if you solved it.
[AI] 好我敢打赌,如果你解决了这个问题,我知道你会怎么解决。
You went. "One. two. three. four. five. six. seven. eight."
[AI] 你去了。“一。二。三。四。五。六。七。八。”
You counted them.
[AI] 你数过了。
You named each one with a number.
[AI] 你用数字给每个人命名。
and the last number you said was the number of penguins.
[AI] 你说的最后一个数字是企鹅的数量。
This is a little trick that you're taught to use as kids.
[AI] 这是一个小把戏,你从小就学会了。
You learn the number list and you learn how to apply it.
[AI] 你学习了数字列表,也学习了如何应用它。
A little linguistic trick.
[AI] 一点语言技巧。
Well. some languages don't do this.
[AI] 好有些语言不这样做。
because some languages don't have exact number words.
[AI] 因为有些语言没有精确的数字单词。
They're languages that don't have a word like "seven"
[AI] 它们是没有“七”这个词的语言
or a word like "eight."
[AI] 或者像“八”这样的词
In fact. people who speak these languages don't count.
[AI] 事实上说这些语言的人不算。
and they have trouble keeping track of exact quantities.
[AI] 而且他们很难掌握确切的数量。
So. for example. if I ask you to match this number of penguins
[AI] 所以例如如果我让你匹配企鹅的数量
to the same number of ducks.
[AI] 同样数量的鸭子。
you would be able to do that by counting.
[AI] 你可以通过数数来做到这一点。
But folks who don't have that linguistic trick can't do that.
[AI] 但是那些没有这种语言技巧的人不能这么做。
Languages also differ in how they divide up the color spectrum --
[AI] 语言在划分颜色光谱的方式上也有所不同--
the visual world.
[AI] 视觉世界。
Some languages have lots of words for colors.
[AI] 有些语言有很多颜色的词。
some have only a couple words. "light" and "dark."
[AI] 有些人只有几个词。“亮”和“暗”
And languages differ in where they put boundaries between colors.
[AI] 不同的语言在颜色之间的界限上也有所不同。
So. for example. in English. there's a word for blue
[AI] 所以例如用英语蓝色有一个词
that covers all of the colors that you can see on the screen.
[AI] 它涵盖了你在屏幕上看到的所有颜色。
but in Russian. there isn't a single word.
[AI] 但是用俄语。一个字也没有。
Instead. Russian speakers have to differentiate
[AI] 相反讲俄语的人必须区别对待
between light blue. "goluboy."
[AI] 在浅蓝色之间。“哥鲁布。”
and dark blue. "siniy."
[AI] 和深蓝色。“西尼。”
So Russians have this lifetime of experience of. in language.
[AI] 所以俄罗斯人有这一生的经验。在语言上。
distinguishing these two colors.
[AI] 区分这两种颜色。
When we test people's ability to perceptually discriminate these colors.
[AI] 当我们测试人们感知辨别这些颜色的能力时。
what we find is that Russian speakers are faster
[AI] 我们发现说俄语的人速度更快
across this linguistic boundary.
[AI] 跨越这一语言边界。
They're faster to be able to tell the difference
[AI] 他们能更快地分辨出差异
between a light and dark blue.
[AI] 在浅蓝色和深蓝色之间。
And when you look at people's brains as they're looking at colors --
[AI] 当你看着人们的大脑,就像他们看着颜色一样--
say you have colors shifting slowly from light to dark blue --
[AI] 假设你的颜色从浅蓝色慢慢变为深蓝色--
the brains of people who use different words for light and dark blue
[AI] 对浅蓝色和深蓝色使用不同词语的人的大脑
will give a surprised reaction as the colors shift from light to dark.
[AI] 当颜色从浅色变为深色时,会产生令人惊讶的反应。
as if. "Ooh. something has categorically changed."
[AI] 犹如。“哦,有些事情已经彻底改变了。”
whereas the brains of English speakers. for example.
[AI] 而说英语的人的大脑。例如
that don't make this categorical distinction.
[AI] 但这并不是绝对的区别。
don't give that surprise.
[AI] 别那么惊讶。
because nothing is categorically changing.
[AI] 因为没有什么是绝对不变的。
Languages have all kinds of structural quirks.
[AI] 语言有各种各样的结构怪癖。
This is one of my favorites.
[AI] 这是我的最爱之一。
Lots of languages have grammatical gender;
[AI] 许多语言都有语法性别;
every noun gets assigned a gender. often masculine or feminine.
[AI] 每个名词都有一个性别。通常为男性或女性。
And these genders differ across languages.
[AI] 这些性别在不同的语言中是不同的。
So. for example. the sun is feminine in German but masculine in Spanish.
[AI] 所以例如太阳在德语中是女性的,但在西班牙语中是男性的。
and the moon. the reverse.
[AI] 还有月亮。相反。
Could this actually have any consequence for how people think?
[AI] 这真的会对人们的想法产生影响吗?
Do German speakers think of the sun as somehow more female-like.
[AI] 说德语的人认为太阳更像女性吗。
and the moon somehow more male-like?
[AI] 月亮更像男性?
Actually. it turns out that's the case.
[AI] 事实上事实证明是这样的。
So if you ask German and Spanish speakers to. say. describe a bridge.
[AI] 所以如果你问说德语和西班牙语的人。说描述一座桥。
like the one here --
[AI] 就像这里的那个--
"bridge" happens to be grammatically feminine in German.
[AI] 在德语中,“bridge”在语法上恰巧是女性化的。
grammatically masculine in Spanish --
[AI] 西班牙语中的阳性语法--
German speakers are more likely to say bridges are "beautiful." "elegant"
[AI] 说德语的人更倾向于说桥梁“漂亮”“优雅”
and stereotypically feminine words.
[AI] 和刻板的女性词汇。
Whereas Spanish speakers will be more likely to say
[AI] 而说西班牙语的人更有可能说
they're "strong" or "long."
[AI] 它们是“强壮的”或“长的”
these masculine words.
[AI] 这些男性化的词语。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Languages also differ in how they describe events. right?
[AI] 语言在描述事件的方式上也有所不同。正当
You take an event like this. an accident.
[AI] 你参加这样的活动。一个事故。
In English. it's fine to say. "He broke the vase."
[AI] 用英语可以这么说。“他打碎了花瓶。”
In a language like Spanish.
[AI] 用西班牙语之类的语言。
you might be more likely to say. "The vase broke."
[AI] 你可能更愿意说。“花瓶破了。”
or. "The vase broke itself."
[AI] 或“花瓶破了。”
If it's an accident. you wouldn't say that someone did it.
[AI] 如果是意外。你不会说是有人干的。
In English. quite weirdly. we can even say things like.
[AI] 用英语很奇怪。我们甚至可以这样说。
"I broke my arm."
[AI] “我的胳膊断了。”
Now. in lots of languages.
[AI] 现在用很多种语言。
you couldn't use that construction unless you are a lunatic
[AI] 除非你是个疯子,否则你不能用那种结构
and you went out looking to break your arm --
[AI] 你出去想弄断你的胳膊--
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
and you succeeded.
[AI] 你成功了。
If it was an accident. you would use a different construction.
[AI] 如果是意外的话。您将使用不同的构造。
Now. this has consequences.
[AI] 现在这是有后果的。
So. people who speak different languages will pay attention to different things.
[AI] 所以说不同语言的人会注意不同的事情。
depending on what their language usually requires them to do.
[AI] 取决于他们的语言通常要求他们做什么。
So we show the same accident to English speakers and Spanish speakers.
[AI] 所以我们向说英语和西班牙语的人展示了同样的事故。
English speakers will remember who did it.
[AI] 说英语的人会记得是谁干的。
because English requires you to say. "He did it; he broke the vase."
[AI] 因为英语要求你说。“是他干的;他打碎了花瓶。”
Whereas Spanish speakers might be less likely to remember who did it
[AI] 而说西班牙语的人可能不太可能记得是谁干的
if it's an accident.
[AI] 如果是意外。
but they're more likely to remember that it was an accident.
[AI] 但他们更可能记得那是一场意外。
They're more likely to remember the intention.
[AI] 他们更容易记住他们的意图。
So. two people watch the same event.
[AI] 所以两个人观看同一事件。
witness the same crime.
[AI] 目击同样的罪行。
but end up remembering different things about that event.
[AI] 但最终记住了关于那个事件的不同的事情。
This has implications. of course. for eyewitness testimony.
[AI] 这是有影响的。当然为目击者作证。
It also has implications for blame and punishment.
[AI] 这也意味着责备和惩罚。
So if you take English speakers
[AI] 所以如果你选择说英语的人
and I just show you someone breaking a vase.
[AI] 我只是让你看看有人打碎了花瓶。
and I say. "He broke the vase." as opposed to "The vase broke."
[AI] 我说。“他打碎了花瓶。”而不是“花瓶坏了”
even though you can witness it yourself.
[AI] 即使你能亲眼目睹。
you can watch the video.
[AI] 你可以看视频。
you can watch the crime against the vase.
[AI] 你可以看着花瓶上的罪案。
you will punish someone more.
[AI] 你会惩罚更多的人。
you will blame someone more if I just said. "He broke it."
[AI] 如果我只是说,你会更加责怪别人。“他把它弄坏了。”
as opposed to. "It broke."
[AI] 与之相反。“它坏了。”
The language guides our reasoning about events.
[AI] 语言指导我们对事件的推理。
Now. I've given you a few examples
[AI] 现在我给你举了几个例子
of how language can profoundly shape the way we think.
[AI] 语言如何深刻地塑造我们的思维方式。
and it does so in a variety of ways.
[AI] 它以多种方式做到这一点。
So language can have big effects.
[AI] 因此,语言可以产生巨大的影响。
like we saw with space and time.
[AI] 就像我们看到的空间和时间。
where people can lay out space and time
[AI] 在那里人们可以布置空间和时间
in completely different coordinate frames from each other.
[AI] 在彼此完全不同的坐标系中。
Language can also have really deep effects --
[AI] 语言也会产生深远的影响--
that's what we saw with the case of number.
[AI] 这就是我们看到的数字的例子。
Having count words in your language.
[AI] 在你的语言中数词。
having number words.
[AI] 有数字词的。
opens up the whole world of mathematics.
[AI] 打开了整个数学世界。
Of course. if you don't count. you can't do algebra.
[AI] 当然如果你不算的话。你不会做代数。
you can't do any of the things
[AI] 你不能做任何事情
that would be required to build a room like this
[AI] 建造这样一个房间需要这些
or make this broadcast. right?
[AI] 或者做这个广播。正当
This little trick of number words gives you a stepping stone
[AI] 这个数词的小把戏给了你一块垫脚石
into a whole cognitive realm.
[AI] 进入整个认知领域。
Language can also have really early effects.
[AI] 语言也能产生真正的早期效应。
what we saw in the case of color.
[AI] 我们在颜色方面看到了什么。
These are really simple. basic. perceptual decisions.
[AI] 这些都很简单。基本的感性的决定。
We make thousands of them all the time.
[AI] 我们一直在做成千上万的。
and yet. language is getting in there
[AI] 然而。语言正在进入那里
and fussing even with these tiny little perceptual decisions that we make.
[AI] 甚至在我们做出这些小小的感性决定时也会大惊小怪。
Language can have really broad effects.
[AI] 语言可以产生广泛的影响。
So the case of grammatical gender may be a little silly.
[AI] 因此,语法性别的情况可能有点愚蠢。
but at the same time. grammatical gender applies to all nouns.
[AI] 但与此同时。语法性别适用于所有名词。
That means language can shape how you're thinking
[AI] 这意味着语言可以塑造你的思维方式
about anything that can be named by a noun.
[AI] 关于任何可以用名词命名的事物。
That's a lot of stuff.
[AI] 那是很多东西。
And finally. I gave you an example of how language can shape things
[AI] 最后。我给你举了一个语言如何塑造事物的例子
that have personal weight to us --
[AI] 对我们来说有个人份量--
ideas like blame and punishment or eyewitness memory.
[AI] 诸如责备和惩罚或目击者记忆之类的想法。
These are important things in our daily lives.
[AI] 这些都是我们日常生活中的重要事情。
Now. the beauty of linguistic diversity is that it reveals to us
[AI] 现在语言多样性之美在于它向我们揭示了
just how ingenious and how flexible the human mind is.
[AI] 人类的思维是多么的灵巧和灵活。
Human minds have invented not one cognitive universe. but 7.000 --
[AI] 人类头脑没有创造出一个认知宇宙。但是7000--
there are 7.000 languages spoken around the world.
[AI] 全世界有7000种语言。
And we can create many more --
[AI] 我们可以创造更多--
languages. of course. are living things.
[AI] 语言。当然是有生命的东西。
things that we can hone and change to suit our needs.
[AI] 我们可以磨练和改变的东西,以满足我们的需要。
The tragic thing is that we're losing so much of this linguistic diversity
[AI] 可悲的是,我们正在失去如此多的语言多样性
all the time.
[AI] 总是
We're losing about one language a week.
[AI] 我们每周损失一门语言。
and by some estimates.
[AI] 据估计。
half of the world's languages will be gone in the next hundred years.
[AI] 世界上一半的语言将在未来一百年内消失。
And the even worse news is that right now.
[AI] 更坏的消息是现在。
almost everything we know about the human mind and human brain
[AI] 几乎所有我们知道的关于人类思维和大脑的东西
is based on studies of usually American English-speaking undergraduates
[AI] 该研究基于对通常说美国英语的本科生的研究
at universities.
[AI] 在大学里。
That excludes almost all humans. Right?
[AI] 这几乎排除了所有人。正当
So what we know about the human mind is actually incredibly narrow and biased.
[AI] 所以我们对人类心智的了解实际上是非常狭隘和偏颇的。
and our science has to do better.
[AI] 我们的科学必须做得更好。
I want to leave you with this final thought.
[AI] 我想留给你最后的想法。
I've told you about how speakers of different languages think differently.
[AI] 我已经告诉过你说不同语言的人思维方式的不同。
but of course. that's not about how people elsewhere think.
[AI] 但是当然。这与其他地方的人们的想法无关。
It's about how you think.
[AI] 这是关于你怎么想的。
It's how the language that you speak shapes the way that you think.
[AI] 这是你所说的语言如何塑造你的思维方式。
And that gives you the opportunity to ask.
[AI] 这就给了你提问的机会。
"Why do I think the way that I do?"
[AI] “为什么我会这样想?”
"How could I think differently?"
[AI] “我怎么能有不同的想法?”
And also.
[AI] 还有。
"What thoughts do I wish to create?"
[AI] “我想创造什么想法?”
Thank you very much.
[AI] 非常感谢你。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)