声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
I could never have imagined
我永远都不会想象到
that a 19-year-old suicide bomber
一个19岁的自杀式炸弹袭击者
would actually teach me a valuable lesson.
会给我上了珍贵的一堂课
But he did.
但这就是事实
He taught me to never presume anything about anyone you don't know.
他教会了我,永远不要对陌生人先入为主地妄下结论
On a Thursday morning in July 2005,
那是2005年7月,一个周四早晨
the bomber and I, unknowingly,
我并不知道自己与这位袭击者同时
boarded the same train carriage at the same time,
上了同一节地铁车厢,
standing, apparently, just feet apart.
我们站得很近,也就几英尺远
I didn't see him.
我没注意他
Actually, I didn't see anyone.
实际上,我没有注意任何人
You know not to look at anyone on the Tube,
人们在地铁上一般不会注意任何人
but I guess he saw me.
但我想他看见我了
I guess he looked at all of us,
我想当时他正看着我们所有人
as his hand hovered over the detonation switch.
手在炸弹开关上犹豫不定地徘徊
I've often wondered: What was he thinking?
之后我经常在想:他当时在想些什么?
Especially in those final seconds.
尤其在(爆炸前)最后几秒
I know it wasn't personal.
我知道他并不是针对我的
He didn't set out to kill or maim me, Gill Hicks.
他并不是要去杀掉或伤害我——吉尔•希克斯
I mean -- he didn't know me.
因为他根本就不认识我
No.
不认识
Instead, he gave me an unwarranted and an unwanted label.
反之,他给我贴了一个莫须有的,可怕的标签
I had become the enemy.
我成了敌人
To him, I was the "other,"
于他而言,我只算是“别人”
the "them," as opposed to "us."
与“我们”不同的“他们”
The label "enemy" allowed him to dehumanize us.
这个“敌人”的标签允许他把我们全都非人化
It allowed him to push that button.
也允许了他去按下那个按钮
And he wasn't selective.
我们并不是某个特定的目标
Twenty-six precious lives were taken in my carriage alone,
仅仅是我所在的那一个车厢,26个宝贵的生命消逝了
and I was almost one of them.
我也几乎成为了其中的一员
In the time it takes to draw a breath,
在一个深呼吸所需的瞬间
we were plunged into a darkness so immense
我们坠入了一片无边无际的黑暗
that it was almost tangible;
那黑暗几乎触手可及
what I imagine wading through tar might be like.
或许蹚过柏油的感觉也不过如此
We didn't know we were the enemy.
我们不知道我们被划成了“敌人”
We were just a bunch of commuters who, minutes earlier,
我们只是一群上班族,几分钟前
had followed the Tube etiquette:
甚至还在遵守地铁乘客礼仪
no direct eye contact,
不跟别人有直接的眼神接触
no talking
不讲话
and absolutely no conversation.
当然也没有任何交谈
But in the lifting of the darkness,
但在那一片黑暗之中
we were reaching out.
我们伸出了手
We were helping each other.
我们在帮助彼此
We were calling out our names,
我们叫出了各自的姓名
a little bit like a roll call,
有点像点名那样
waiting for responses.
等待着应答
"I'm Gill. I'm here.
“我是吉尔。我在这儿。
I'm alive.
我还活着
OK."
(对方)好的。”
"I'm Gill.
“我是吉尔。
Here.
在这儿。
Alive.
还活着。
OK."
(对方)好。”
I didn't know Alison.
我不认识艾莉森
But I listened for her check-ins every few minutes.
但我每隔几分钟 就期待着她的报到
I didn't know Richard.
我也不认识理查德
But it mattered to me that he survived.
但他活下来了,这对我意义重大
All I shared with them
我和他们分享的所有
was my first name.
仅仅是我的名字而已(并不是全名)
They didn't know
他们不知道
that I was a head of a department at the Design Council.
我是英国设计理事会的 一个部门主管
And here is my beloved briefcase,
我带着我心爱的行李箱
also rescued from that morning.
那天早上它也被解救了出来
They didn't know that I published architecture and design journals,
他们不知道我出版了建筑设计的期刊
that I was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts,
也不知道我是皇家艺术协会的会员
that I wore black --
不知道我穿的是黑衣服——
still do --
现在也穿着——
that I smoked cigarillos.
他们不知道我抽雪茄
I don't smoke cigarillos anymore.
现在已经不抽了
I drank gin and I watched TED Talks,
我喝杜松子酒,看TED演讲
of course, never dreaming that one day I would be standing,
当然,当时我也不敢想象我有一天也会站在这儿
balancing on prosthetic legs,
用义肢保持着平衡
giving a talk.
发表演讲
I was a young Australian woman doing extraordinary things in London.
我是个年轻的澳大利亚女人,在伦敦做着不可思议的工作
And I wasn't ready for that all to end.
我还没准备好结束那一切
I was so determined to survive
我迫切地想要活下来
that I used my scarf to tie tourniquets around the tops of my legs,
我用围巾充当止血带,把它缠绕在大腿上
and I just shut everything and everyone out,
我把所有人,所有事都给屏蔽掉了
to focus, to listen to myself,
只是专注地倾听自己
to be guided by instinct alone.
只接受本能的引导
I lowered my breathing rate.
我放慢呼吸速度
I elevated my thighs.
把腿抬起来
I held myself upright
我直起身
and I fought the urge to close my eyes.
尽全力不闭上眼
I held on for almost an hour,
我坚持了几乎一小时
an hour to contemplate the whole of my life up until this point.
用这一个小时来思考了到那天为止的一整个人生
Perhaps I should have done more.
也许我本应该做更多的事
Perhaps I could have lived more, seen more.
或许我本可以经历更多事,开拓更多的视野
Maybe I should have gone running, dancing, taken up yoga.
也许我早就该去跑步,跳舞,练瑜伽
But my priority and my focus was always my work.
但我的焦点和重心永远是我的工作
I lived to work.
我活着就是为了工作
Who I was on my business card
在名片上我是什么样的
mattered to me.
这对我很重要
But it didn't matter down in that tunnel.
但在那个地铁隧道里这一切都不重要了
By the time I felt that first touch
当我感觉到来自一个搜救员的
from one of my rescuers,
第一次触碰时
I was unable to speak,
我什么都说不出来
unable to say even a small word, like "Gill."
甚至说不出来 一个小小的单词,比如“吉尔”
I surrendered my body to them.
我把我自己交给了他们
I had done all I possibly could,
我做了一切能做的
and now I was in their hands.
此刻我把自己的生命交给了他们
I understood
当我被送进医院时
just who and what humanity really is,
有个身份标签一直伴随着我
when I first saw the ID tag
当我第一次看见那个标签时
that was given to me when I was admitted to hospital.
我理解了到底什么是真正的人性
And it read:
那上面写着:
"One unknown estimated female."
“一个身份不明的女性"
One unknown estimated female.
一个身份不明的女性
Those four words were my gift.
这些词是赠予我的礼物
What they told me very clearly
它们清楚地告诉了我
was that my life was saved,
我的生命被挽救
purely because I was a human being.
仅仅是因为我是个人
Difference of any kind made no difference
人与人之间没有任何差别
to the extraordinary lengths that the rescuers were prepared to go
救援人员为了救我的命
to save my life,
为了救更多的人
to save as many unknowns as they could,
他们准备好迎接超乎寻常的跋涉
and putting their own lives at risk.
将自己的生命置于危险之中
To them, it didn't matter if I was rich or poor,
对他们来说,我富有或是贫穷
the color of my skin,
我皮肤的颜色
whether I was male or female,
我是男是女
my sexual orientation,
我的性取向
who I voted for,
为谁投了票
whether I was educated,
我是否受过教育
if I had a faith or no faith at all.
我是否有信仰,这些都不重要
Nothing mattered
什么都不重要
other than I was a precious human life.
除了,我代表着一个珍贵的生命
I see myself as a living fact.
我见证了自己作为一个生命体
I am proof
我的亲身经历证明了
that unconditional love and respect can not only save,
无条件的爱与尊重不只能拯救生命
but it can transform lives.
更能改变生命
Here is a wonderful image of one of my rescuers, Andy, and I
这是一张去年拍摄的让我印象深刻的照片,是救助我的人之一,
taken just last year.
安迪,还有我
Ten years after the event,
事件发生十年后
and here we are, arm in arm.
我们仍在这儿,肩并肩
Throughout all the chaos,
穿过那一切的混乱
my hand was held tightly.
我的手被紧握着
My face was stroked gently.
我的脸被轻抚
What did I feel?
我感受到了什么?
I felt loved.
我感到被爱着
What's shielded me from hatred and wanting retribution,
是什么让我放弃仇恨,放弃复仇
what's given me the courage to say:
给予我勇气说出:
this ends with me
最终我得到的
is love.
只有爱
I was loved.
我被爱着
I believe the potential for widespread positive change is absolutely enormous
我相信,正能量的传播潜力是巨大的
because I know what we're capable of.
因为我知道我们能做什么
I know the brilliance of humanity.
我了解人类的智慧
So this leaves me with some pretty big things to ponder
这给了我一些需要思考的东西
and some questions for us all to consider:
以及一些我们都应反思的问题:
Is what unites us not far greater than what can ever divide?
我们大家团结在一起的力量难道不比能摧毁我们的大许多吗?
Does it have to take a tragedy or a disaster
是不是只有在悲剧或灾难中
for us to feel deeply connected as one species, as human beings?
我们才能感到彼此间作为同一个物种,作为人的那种惺惺相惜?
And when will we embrace the wisdom of our era
我们何时才能拥抱属于我们这个时代的智慧
to rise above mere tolerance
何时才能超越单纯的宽容
and move to an acceptance
从而升华至一种接受
for all who are only a label until we know them?
去接受那些在我们了解他们之前,都还仅仅是一个标签的人?
Thank you.
谢谢大家。
(Applause)
(掌声)