声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
Cancer.
[AI] 巨蟹座
It's a devastating disease that takes an enormous emotional toll.
[AI] 这是一种毁灭性的疾病,会造成巨大的情感损失。
Not only on the patient. but the patient's loved ones. as well.
[AI] 不仅是对病人。但是病人的亲人。也
It is a battle that the human race has been fighting for centuries.
[AI] 这是人类几个世纪以来一直在进行的一场战斗。
And while we've made some advancements.
[AI] 虽然我们取得了一些进步。
we still haven't beaten it.
[AI] 我们还没有打败它。
Two out of five people in the US will develop cancer in their lifetime.
[AI] 在美国,五分之二的人在一生中会患癌症。
Of those. 90 percent will succumb to the disease due to metastases.
[AI] 其中之一。90%的人将死于转移性疾病。
Metastasis is a spread of cancer from a primary site to a distal site.
[AI] 转移是癌症从原发部位向远端部位的扩散。
through the circulatory or the lymphatic system.
[AI] 通过循环系统或淋巴系统。
For instance. a female patient with breast cancer
[AI] 例如。一名女性乳腺癌患者
doesn't succumb to the disease simply because she has a mass on her breast.
[AI] 她不会仅仅因为胸部有肿块就死于这种疾病。
She succumbs to the disease because it spreads
[AI] 她因疾病传播而病倒
to the lungs. liver. lymph nodes. brain. bone.
[AI] 到肺部。肝脏淋巴结。脑骨头
where it becomes unresectable or untreatable.
[AI] 它变得不可切除或不可治疗。
Metastasis is a complicated process.
[AI] 转移是一个复杂的过程。
One that I've studied for several years now.
[AI] 我已经研究了好几年了。
And something that my team and I discovered recently
[AI] 我和我的团队最近发现了一些东西
was that cancer cells are able to communicate with each other
[AI] 癌细胞能够相互交流
and coordinate their movement.
[AI] 协调他们的行动。
based on how closely packed they are in the tumor microenvironment.
[AI] 基于它们在肿瘤微环境中的紧密程度。
They communicate with each other through two signaling molecules
[AI] 它们通过两个信号分子相互通信
called Interleukin-6 and Interleukin-8.
[AI] 称为白细胞介素-6和白细胞介素-8。
Now. like anything else in nature.
[AI] 现在就像自然界中的其他事物一样。
when things get a little too tight. the signal is enhanced.
[AI] 当事情变得有点紧张的时候。信号增强了。
causing the cancer cells to move away faster from the primary site
[AI] 使癌细胞更快地离开原发部位
and spread to a new site.
[AI] 并传播到一个新的地点。
So. if we block this signal. using a drug cocktail that we developed.
[AI] 所以如果我们阻止这个信号。使用我们研制的鸡尾酒。
we can stop the communication between cancer cells
[AI] 我们可以阻止癌细胞之间的交流
and slow down the spread of cancer.
[AI] 减缓癌症的扩散。
Let me pause here for a second
[AI] 让我在这里停一下
and take you back to when this all began for me in 2010.
[AI] 让我们回到2010年这一切开始的时候。
when I was just a sophomore in college.
[AI] 当我还是大学二年级的时候。
I had just started working in Dr Danny Wirtz's lab
[AI] 我刚开始在Danny Wirtz博士的实验室工作
at Johns Hopkins University.
[AI] 在约翰霍普金斯大学。
And I'll be honest: I was a young. naive. Sri Lankan girl.
[AI] 老实说,我是个年轻人。缺乏经验的斯里兰卡女孩。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
who had no previous research experience.
[AI] 他以前没有研究经验。
And I was tasked to look at how cancer cells move
[AI] 我的任务是研究癌细胞是如何运动的
in a 3D collagen I matrix
[AI] 在3D I型胶原基质中
that recapsulated. in a dish.
[AI] 这让我很沮丧。在盘子里。
the conditions that cancer cells are exposed to in our bodies.
[AI] 癌细胞在我们体内暴露的条件。
This was new and exciting for me.
[AI] 这对我来说是新的和令人兴奋的。
because previous work had been done on 2D. flat. plastic dishes
[AI] 因为之前的工作是在2D上完成的。平的塑料盘子
that really weren't representative
[AI] 那真的不具有代表性
of what the cancer cells are exposed to in our bodies.
[AI] 癌细胞在我们体内暴露的情况。
Because. let's face it.
[AI] 因为让我们面对现实吧。
the cancer cells in our bodies aren't stuck onto plastic dishes.
[AI] 我们体内的癌细胞不会粘在塑料盘子上。
It was during this time that I attended a seminar
[AI] 就在这段时间里,我参加了一个研讨会
conducted by Dr Bonnie Bassler from Princeton University.
[AI] 由普林斯顿大学的邦尼·巴斯勒博士主持。
where she talked about how bacteria cells communicate with each other.
[AI] 在那里她谈到了细菌细胞是如何相互沟通的。
based on their population density. and perform a specific action.
[AI] 根据他们的人口密度。并执行特定的操作。
It was at this moment that a light bulb went off in my head. and I thought.
[AI] 就在这一刻,一个灯泡在我的脑袋里熄灭了。我想。
"Wow. I see this in my cancer cells every day.
[AI] “哇,我每天都在我的癌细胞里看到这个。
when it comes to their movement."
[AI] 说到他们的行动。"
The idea for my project was thus born.
[AI] 我的项目就这样诞生了。
I hypothesized that cancer cells are able to communicate with each other
[AI] 我假设癌细胞能够相互交流
and coordinate their movement.
[AI] 协调他们的行动。
based on how closely packed they are in the tumor microenvironment.
[AI] 基于它们在肿瘤微环境中的紧密程度。
I became obsessed with pursuing this hypothesis.
[AI] 我开始痴迷于追求这个假设。
And fortunately. I work for someone
[AI] 幸运的是。我为某人工作
who is open to running with my crazy ideas.
[AI] 他对我疯狂的想法持开放态度。
So. I threw myself into this project.
[AI] 所以我全身心投入这个项目。
However. I couldn't do it by myself.
[AI] 然而我一个人做不到。
I needed help.
[AI] 我需要帮助。
I definitely needed help.
[AI] 我确实需要帮助。
So we recruited undergraduate students. graduate students.
[AI] 所以我们招收了本科生。研究生。
postdoctoral fellows and professors
[AI] 博士后研究员和教授
from different institutions and multiple disciplines
[AI] 来自不同机构和多个学科
to come together and work on this idea
[AI] 共同努力实现这个想法
that I conceived as a sophomore in college.
[AI] 那是我在大学二年级时构思的。
After years of conducting experiments together
[AI] 经过多年的共同实验
and merging different ideas and perspectives.
[AI] 融合不同的观点和观点。
we discovered a new signaling pathway
[AI] 我们发现了一条新的信号通路
that controls how cancer cells communicate with each other and move.
[AI] 它控制癌细胞之间的通讯和移动。
based on their cell density.
[AI] 根据他们的细胞密度。
Some of you might have heard this.
[AI] 你们中的一些人可能听过这个。
because most of social media knows it as the Hasini effect.
[AI] 因为大多数社交媒体都知道这是哈西尼效应。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
And we weren't done yet.
[AI] 我们还没做完。
We then decided that we wanted to block this signaling pathway
[AI] 然后我们决定阻断这条信号通路
and see if we could slow down the spread of cancer.
[AI] 看看我们能否减缓癌症的扩散。
Which we did. in preclinical animal models.
[AI] 我们做到了。在临床前动物模型中。
We came up with a drug cocktail consisting of tocilizumab.
[AI] 我们发明了一种由托昔单抗组成的鸡尾酒。
which is currently used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.
[AI] 目前用于治疗类风湿性关节炎。
and reparixin. which is currently in clinical trials against breast cancer.
[AI] 和reparixin。目前正在进行抗乳腺癌的临床试验。
And interestingly. what we found was that this cocktail of drugs
[AI] 有趣的是。我们发现的是这种鸡尾酒
really had no effect on tumor growth.
[AI] 真的对肿瘤生长没有影响。
but directly targeted metastases.
[AI] 但是直接靶向转移。
This was a significant finding.
[AI] 这是一个重要的发现。
because currently. there aren't any FDA-approved therapeutics
[AI] 因为现在。没有任何FDA批准的疗法
that directly target the spread of cancer.
[AI] 直接针对癌症的扩散。
In fact. the spread of cancer. metastasis.
[AI] 事实上癌症的扩散。转移。
is thought of as a byproduct of tumor growth.
[AI] 被认为是肿瘤生长的副产品。
Where the idea is. if we can stop the tumor from growing.
[AI] 想法在哪里。如果我们能阻止肿瘤生长。
we can stop the tumor from spreading.
[AI] 我们可以阻止肿瘤扩散。
However. most of us know that this is not true.
[AI] 然而我们大多数人都知道这不是真的。
We. on the other hand. came up with the drug cocktail
[AI] 我们另一方面想出了鸡尾酒药
that targets metastasis not by targeting tumor growth.
[AI] 靶向转移而不是肿瘤生长。
but by targeting the complex mechanisms that govern it.
[AI] 但是通过针对复杂的管理机制。
through the targeting of the Hasini effect.
[AI] 通过瞄准哈西尼效应。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
This work was recently published in "Nature Communications."
[AI] 这项工作最近发表在《自然通讯》上
and my team and I received an overwhelming response from around the world.
[AI] 我和我的团队得到了来自世界各地的热烈响应。
Nobody on my team could have predicted this sort of response.
[AI] 我的团队中没有人能预测到这种反应。
We seem to have struck a nerve.
[AI] 我们似乎触动了神经。
Looking back. I am extremely grateful for the positive response that I received.
[AI] 回首往事。我非常感谢我得到的积极回应。
not only from academia. but also patients.
[AI] 不仅来自学术界。还有病人。
and people around the world affected by this terrible disease.
[AI] 以及全世界受这种可怕疾病影响的人们。
As I reflect on this success I've encountered with the Hasini effect.
[AI] 当我反思这一成功时,我遇到了哈西尼效应。
I keep coming back to the people that I was fortunate enough to work with.
[AI] 我不断回到那些有幸与我共事的人身边。
The undergraduate students
[AI] 本科生
who demonstrated superhuman powers through their hard work and dedication.
[AI] 他们通过努力工作和奉献精神展示了超人的力量。
The graduate students and the postdoctoral fellows.
[AI] 研究生和博士后研究员。
my fellow Avengers. who taught me new techniques
[AI] 我的复仇者同胞们。谁教我新技术的
and always made sure I stayed on track.
[AI] 而且总是确保我保持在正轨上。
The professors. my Yodas and my Obi-Wan Kenobis.
[AI] 教授们。我的尤达斯和欧比-万·克诺比斯。
who brought their expertise into making this work into what it is today.
[AI] 是谁将他们的专业知识运用到了今天的工作中。
The support staff. the friends and family.
[AI] 支持人员。朋友和家人。
people who lifted our spirits.
[AI] 鼓舞我们精神的人。
and never let us give up on our ambitious endeavors.
[AI] 永远不要让我们放弃我们雄心勃勃的努力。
The best kind of sidekicks we could have asked for.
[AI] 这是我们可以要求的最好的搭档。
It took a village to help me study metastasis.
[AI] 我花了一个村庄来帮助我学习。
And believe me. without my village. I wouldn't be here.
[AI] 相信我。没有我的村庄。我不会在这里。
Today. our team has grown.
[AI] 今天我们的队伍成长了。
and we are using the Hasini effect to develop combination therapies
[AI] 我们正在利用哈西尼效应开发联合疗法
that will effectively target tumor growth and metastases.
[AI] 这将有效地靶向肿瘤生长和转移。
We are engineering new anticancer therapeutics.
[AI] 我们正在设计新的抗癌疗法。
to limit toxicity and to reduce drug resistance.
[AI] 限制毒性和降低耐药性。
And we are developing groundbreaking systems
[AI] 我们正在开发突破性的系统
that will help for the development of better human clinical trials.
[AI] 这将有助于开发更好的人体临床试验。
It blows my mind to think that all this.
[AI] 想到这一切,我就心烦意乱。
the incredible work that I'm pursuing --
[AI] 我追求的不可思议的工作--
and the fact that I'm standing here. talking to you today --
[AI] 还有我站在这里的事实。今天和你谈话--
all came from this tiny idea
[AI] 所有这些都来自于这个小小的想法
that I had when I was sitting at the back of a seminar
[AI] 当我坐在研讨会的后面时
when I was just 20 years old.
[AI] 我20岁的时候。
I recognize that right now. I am on this incredible journey
[AI] 我现在意识到了这一点。我正踏上这段不可思议的旅程
that allows me to pursue work that I am extremely passionate about.
[AI] 这让我能够从事我非常热爱的工作。
and something that feeds my curiosity on a daily basis.
[AI] 每天都能满足我的好奇心。
But I have to say. my favorite part of all of this --
[AI] 但我不得不说。这一切中我最喜欢的部分--
other than. of course. being here. talking to you. today --
[AI] 除了当然在这里。和你说话。今天--
is the fact that I get to work with a diverse group of people.
[AI] 事实上,我可以和不同的人一起工作。
who make my work stronger. better and just so much more fun.
[AI] 谁让我的工作更强大。更好,更有趣。
And because of this. I have to say
[AI] 正因为如此。我不得不说
that collaboration is my favorite superhuman power.
[AI] 这种合作是我最喜欢的超人力量。
And what I love about this power is that it's not unique to me.
[AI] 我喜欢这种力量,因为它不是我独有的。
It's within all of us.
[AI] 它在我们所有人的内心。
My work shows that even cancer cells
[AI] 我的研究表明,即使是癌细胞
use collaboration to invade our bodies and spread their wrath.
[AI] 利用合作入侵我们的身体,传播他们的愤怒。
For us humans. it is a superpower that has produced incredible discoveries
[AI] 对我们人类来说。它是一个产生了令人难以置信的发现的超级大国
in the medical and scientific field.
[AI] 在医学和科学领域。
And it is the superpower that we can all turn to
[AI] 我们都可以求助于超级大国
to inspire us to create something bigger than ourselves.
[AI] 激励我们去创造比自己更伟大的东西。
that will help make the world a better place.
[AI] 这将有助于使世界变得更美好。
Collaboration is the superpower that I turn to. to help me fight cancer.
[AI] 协作是我求助的超级力量。帮助我对抗癌症。
And I am confident that with the right collaborations.
[AI] 我相信通过正确的合作。
we will beat this terrible disease.
[AI] 我们将战胜这种可怕的疾病。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)