声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
I consider it my life's mission to convey the urgency of climate change through my work.
[AI] 我认为通过我的工作来传达气候变化的紧迫性是我生命的使命。
I've traveled north to the Arctic to the capture the unfolding story of polar melt.
[AI] 我曾北上到北极去捕捉极地融化的故事。
and south to the Equator to document the subsequent rising seas.
[AI] 南至赤道,以记录随后的海平面上升。
Most recently. I visited the icy coast of Greenland
[AI] 最近。我参观了格陵兰岛冰冷的海岸
and the low-lying islands of the Maldives.
[AI] 以及马尔代夫的低洼岛屿。
connecting two seemingly disparate but equally endangered parts of our planet.
[AI] 连接我们星球上两个看似不同但同样濒危的部分。
My drawings explore moments of transition. turbulence and tranquility in the landscape.
[AI] 我的绘画探索过渡的时刻。风景中的动荡与宁静。
allowing viewers to emotionally connect with a place you might never have the chance to visit.
[AI] 让观众在情感上与一个你可能永远没有机会去的地方联系。
I choose to convey the beauty as opposed to the devastation.
[AI] 我选择传达美,而不是毁灭。
If you can experience the sublimity of these landscapes.
[AI] 如果你能体验到这些风景的壮美。
perhaps you'll be inspired to protect and preserve them.
[AI] 也许你会受到启发去保护它们。
Behavioral psychology tells us that we take action
[AI] 行为心理学告诉我们要采取行动
and make decisions based on our emotions above all else.
[AI] 并根据我们的情绪做出决定。
And studies have shown that art impacts our emotions
[AI] 研究表明,艺术影响我们的情绪
more effectively than a scary news report.
[AI] 比恐怖新闻报道更有效。
Experts predict ice-free Arctic summers as early as 2020.
[AI] 专家预测,北极夏季最早将在2020年无冰。
And sea levels are likely to rise between two and ten feet by century's end.
[AI] 到本世纪末,海平面可能会上升2到10英尺。
I have dedicated my career to illuminating these projections with an accessible medium.
[AI] 我的职业生涯致力于用一种无障碍的媒介来阐明这些预测。
one that moves us in a way that statistics may not.
[AI] 一种以统计数据所无法比拟的方式打动我们的力量。
My process begins with traveling to the places at the forefront of climate change.
[AI] 我的过程从前往气候变化最前沿的地方开始。
On-site. I take thousands of photographs.
[AI] 现场。我拍了数千张照片。
Back in the studio.
[AI] 回到演播室。
I work from both my memory of the experience and the photographs
[AI] 我的工作是基于对经历的记忆和照片
to create very large-scale compositions.
[AI] 创作大规模的作品。
sometimes over 10 feet wide.
[AI] 有时超过10英尺宽。
I draw with soft pastel. which is dry like charcoal. but colors.
[AI] 我用柔和的粉笔画画。它像木炭一样干燥。但是颜色。
I consider my work drawings but others call them painting.
[AI] 我认为我的作品图纸,但其他人称之为绘画。
I cringe. though. when I'm referred to as a "finger painter."
[AI] 我畏缩。虽然当我被称为“手指画家”
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
But I don't use any tools
[AI] 但我不使用任何工具
and I have always used my fingers and palms
[AI] 我总是用我的手指和手掌
to manipulate the pigment on the paper.
[AI] 操纵纸张上的颜料。
Drawing is a form of meditation for me.
[AI] 绘画对我来说是一种冥想。
It quiets my mind.
[AI] 它使我的思想平静下来。
I don't perceive what I'm drawing as ice or water.
[AI] 我看不出我画的是冰还是水。
Instead. the image is stripped down to its most basic form of color and shape.
[AI] 相反图像被分解成最基本的颜色和形状。
Once the piece is complete.
[AI] 一旦作品完成。
I can finally experience the composition as a whole.
[AI] 我终于可以从整体上体验这篇作文了。
as an iceberg floating through glassy water.
[AI] 就像漂浮在玻璃水里的冰山。
or a wave cresting with foam.
[AI] 或者是一个浪尖上有泡沫的波浪。
On average. a piece this size takes me about.
[AI] 平均来说。这么大的一件衣服我穿了差不多。
as you can see. 10 seconds.
[AI] 如你所见。10秒。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)
Really. more like 200 hours. 250 hours for something that size.
[AI] 真正地大约200小时。那么大的东西要250小时。
But I've been drawing ever since I could hold a crayon. really.
[AI] 但自从我能拿蜡笔以来,我就一直在画画。真正地
My mom was an artist. and growing up. we always had art supplies all over the house.
[AI] 我妈妈是个艺术家。和成长。我们家里到处都是艺术用品。
My mother's love of photography propelled her to the most remote regions of the earth.
[AI] 我母亲对摄影的热爱把她推向了地球上最偏远的地区。
and my family and I were fortunate enough to join and support her on these adventures.
[AI] 我和我的家人很幸运地加入了她的行列,支持她进行这些冒险。
We rode camels in Northern Africa
[AI] 我们在北非骑骆驼
and mushed on dog sleds near the North Pole.
[AI] 在北极附近的狗拉雪橇上。
In August of 2012. I led my first expedition.
[AI] 2012年8月。我领导了我的第一次探险。
taking a group of artists and scholars up the northwest coast of Greenland.
[AI] 带领一群艺术家和学者来到格陵兰岛西北海岸。
My mother was originally supposed to lead this trip.
[AI] 我的母亲原本应该领导这次旅行。
She and I were in the early stages of planning. as we had intended to go together.
[AI] 她和我正处于计划的早期阶段。我们本来打算一起去的。
when she fell victim to a brain tumor.
[AI] 当她成为脑瘤的受害者时。
The cancer quickly took over her body and mind.
[AI] 癌症很快控制了她的身心。
and she passed away six months later.
[AI] 六个月后她去世了。
During the months of her illness. though.
[AI] 在她生病的几个月里。虽然
her dedication to the expedition never wavered. and I made a promise
[AI] 她对探险队的奉献精神从未动摇。我答应了
to carry out her final journey.
[AI] 完成她最后的旅程。
My mother's passion for the Arctic
[AI] 我母亲对北极的热爱
echoed through my experience in Greenland.
[AI] 我在格陵兰岛的经历引起了共鸣。
and I felt the power and the fragility of the landscape.
[AI] 我感受到了风景的力量和脆弱。
The sheer size of the icebergs is humbling.
[AI] 冰山的巨大规模让人感到谦卑。
The ice fields are alive with movement and sound
[AI] 冰原充满了运动和声音
in a way that I never expected.
[AI] 以一种我从未预料到的方式。
I expanded the scale of my compositions
[AI] 我扩大了作文的规模
to give you that same sense of awe that I experienced.
[AI] 给你和我一样的敬畏感。
Yet. while the grandeur of the ice is evident.
[AI] 然而冰的壮丽是显而易见的。
so. too. is its vulnerability.
[AI] 所以也这是它的弱点。
From our boat.
[AI] 从我们的船上。
I could see the ice sweating under the unseasonably warm sun.
[AI] 我能看到冰在反常的温暖阳光下冒汗。
We had a chance to visit many of the Inuit communities in Greenland
[AI] 我们有机会参观了格陵兰岛的许多因纽特人社区
that now face huge challenges.
[AI] 这现在面临着巨大的挑战。
The locals spoke to me of vast areas of sea ice
[AI] 当地人跟我谈起了大片的海冰
that are no longer freezing over as they once did.
[AI] 它们不再像以前那样被冻住了。
And without ice. their hunting and harvesting grounds are severely diminished.
[AI] 而且没有冰。他们的狩猎场和收获场严重减少。
threatening their way of life and survival.
[AI] 威胁他们的生活和生存方式。
The melting glaciers in Greenland
[AI] 格陵兰融化的冰川
are one of the largest contributing factors to rising sea levels.
[AI] 是导致海平面上升的最大因素之一。
which have already begun to drown some of our world's lowest-lying islands.
[AI] 已经开始淹没世界上一些地势最低的岛屿。
One year after my trip to Greenland. I visited the Maldives.
[AI] 在我去格陵兰岛旅行一年后。我访问了马尔代夫。
the lowest and flattest country in the entire world.
[AI] 世界上最低最平坦的国家。
While I was there. I collected images and inspiration for a new body of work:
[AI] 当我在那里的时候。我收集了一系列新作品的图像和灵感:
drawings of waves lapping on the coast of a nation
[AI] 海浪拍打一个国家海岸的图画
that could be entirely underwater within this century.
[AI] 这可能在本世纪内完全淹没在水下。
Devastating events happen every day
[AI] 灾难性事件每天都在发生
on scales both global and personal.
[AI] 在全球范围和个人范围内。
When I was in Greenland.
[AI] 当我在格陵兰岛的时候。
I scattered my mother's ashes amidst the melting ice.
[AI] 我把母亲的骨灰撒在融化的冰中。
Now she remains a part of the landscape she loved so much.
[AI] 现在她仍然是她如此热爱的风景的一部分。
even as it. too. passes and takes on new form.
[AI] 尽管如此。也通过并呈现出新的形式。
Among the many gifts my mother gave me
[AI] 在母亲给我的许多礼物中
was the ability to focus on the positive. rather than the negative.
[AI] 是专注于积极事物的能力。而不是消极的。
My drawings celebrate the beauty of what we all stand to lose.
[AI] 我的画颂扬了我们即将失去的美好。
I hope they can serve as records of sublime landscapes in flux.
[AI] 我希望它们能成为不断变化的壮丽风景的记录。
documenting the transition and inspiring our global community
[AI] 记录转型并激励我们的全球社区
to take action for the future.
[AI] 为未来采取行动。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)