声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
You've probably heard by now
[AI] 你现在可能已经听说了
that economic inequality is historically high.
[AI] 这种经济不平等性在历史上居高不下。
that the wealthiest one-tenth of one percent in the United States
[AI] 美国最富有的百分之一的人
have as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent combined.
[AI] 拥有的财富与底层90%的人的总和一样多。
or that the wealthiest eight individuals in the world
[AI] 或者世界上最富有的八个人
have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion inhabitants of the planet.
[AI] 拥有与地球上最贫穷的35亿居民一样多的财富。
But did you know that economic inequality is associated with shorter lifespans.
[AI] 但你知道经济不平等与寿命缩短有关吗。
less happiness.
[AI] 更少的幸福。
more crime
[AI] 更多犯罪
and more drug abuse?
[AI] 还有更多的药物滥用?
Those sound like problems of poverty.
[AI] 这些听起来像是贫困问题。
but among wealthy. developed nations
[AI] 但是在富人中。发达国家
those health and social problems
[AI] 这些健康和社会问题
are actually more tightly linked to inequality between incomes
[AI] 实际上与收入不平等的关系更为密切
than to absolute incomes.
[AI] 而不是绝对收入。
And because of that.
[AI] 正因为如此。
the United States. the wealthiest and the most unequal of nations.
[AI] 美国最富有和最不平等的国家。
actually fares worse than all other developed countries.
[AI] 事实上,情况比所有其他发达国家都糟糕。
Surveys show that large majorities of Americans.
[AI] 调查显示,绝大多数的美国人。
both Democrats and Republicans.
[AI] 民主党人和共和党人。
believe inequality is too high and want more equal pay.
[AI] 相信不平等性太高了,想要更多的同工同酬。
And yet as a society. we don't seem to be able to find the common ground.
[AI] 但作为一个社会。我们似乎找不到共同点。
the consensus. the political will to do anything about it.
[AI] 共识。对此采取任何行动的政治意愿。
Because. as inequality has risen in recent decades.
[AI] 因为随着近几十年来不平等性的加剧。
political polarization has risen along with it.
[AI] 政治两极化也随之加剧。
We see those who disagree with us as idiots or as immoral.
[AI] 我们认为那些不同意我们观点的人是白痴或不道德的。
Nearly half of Democrats and Republicans
[AI] 近一半的民主党人和共和党人
now think that the other side is not just mistaken
[AI] 现在想想,对方不仅仅是错的
but a threat to the nation.
[AI] 但这是对国家的威胁。
And that animosity prevents us from finding the common ground to change things.
[AI] 这种敌意阻止我们找到改变事物的共同点。
I'm a social psychology professor at the University of North Carolina.
[AI] 我是北卡罗来那大学的社会心理学教授。
and I study the effects of inequality on people's thinking and behavior.
[AI] 我还研究了不平等对人们思维和行为的影响。
I'm going to argue that it's not just an unfortunate coincidence
[AI] 我要说的是,这不仅仅是一个不幸的巧合
that inequality and political division have risen together.
[AI] 这种不平等性和政治分裂一起加剧了。
There are good psychological reasons
[AI] 有很好的心理原因
that inequality drives wedges in our politics.
[AI] 这种不平等在我们的政治中起着推波助澜的作用。
That means there are good psychological paths
[AI] 这意味着有很好的心理途径
to improve both at once.
[AI] 同时改善两者。
To understand why inequality is so powerful.
[AI] 理解不平等为何如此强大。
you have to first understand that we are constantly comparing ourselves to other people.
[AI] 你必须首先明白,我们总是在拿自己和别人比较。
and when we do that.
[AI] 当我们这样做的时候。
we really like to come out on top.
[AI] 我们真的很想站在顶端。
and we find it painful to be on the bottom.
[AI] 我们发现站在底层是痛苦的。
Psychologists call it the "better-than-average effect."
[AI] 心理学家称之为“优于平均效果”
Most people believe they're better than average
[AI] 大多数人认为他们比一般人好
at just about anything they care about.
[AI] 不管他们关心什么。
which isn't strictly possible. because that's just what average means.
[AI] 这绝对不可能。因为这正是平均数的意思。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
But that's the way people feel.
[AI] 但这就是人们的感受。
Most people think they're smarter than average.
[AI] 大多数人认为他们比一般人聪明。
harder working than average
[AI] 比平均水平更努力
and more socially skilled.
[AI] 而且社交技能更高。
Most people think they're better drivers than average.
[AI] 大多数人认为他们比一般人更擅长开车。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
That's true even if you do the study with a sample of people
[AI] 这是真的,即使你对一组人进行了研究
currently hospitalized for a car accident that they caused.
[AI] 目前因车祸住院治疗。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
So we really want to see ourselves as better than average.
[AI] 所以我们真的希望看到自己比平均水平更好。
and if we find out otherwise.
[AI] 如果我们发现不是这样。
it's a painful experience that we have to cope with.
[AI] 这是一个痛苦的经历,我们必须面对。
And we cope with it by shifting how we see the world.
[AI] 我们通过改变我们对世界的看法来应对它。
To understand how this works.
[AI] 了解这是如何工作的。
my collaborators and I ran an experiment.
[AI] 我和我的合作者做了一个实验。
We asked participants to complete a decision-making task to earn some money.
[AI] 我们要求参与者完成一项决策任务来挣钱。
and in reality. everyone earned the same amount of money.
[AI] 事实上。每个人挣的钱都是一样的。
But we randomly divided them into two groups.
[AI] 但我们将他们随机分为两组。
and we told one group that they had done better than average.
[AI] 我们告诉一组人,他们做得比平均水平好。
and we told the other group they had done worse than average.
[AI] 我们告诉另一组,他们的表现比平均水平差。
So now we have one group that feels richer and one group that feels poorer.
[AI] 所以现在我们有了一个感觉更富有的群体和一个感觉更穷的群体。
but for no objective reason.
[AI] 但没有客观原因。
And then we asked them some questions.
[AI] 然后我们问了他们一些问题。
When we asked them. "How good are you at making decisions?"
[AI] 当我们问他们的时候。“你的决策能力如何?”
the better-than-average group said that they were more competent
[AI] 优于平均水平的群体说他们更有能力
than the below-average group.
[AI] 低于平均水平组。
The better-than-average group said that their success was a fair outcome of a meritocracy.
[AI] 优于平均水平的群体表示,他们的成功是精英统治的公平结果。
The below-average group thought the system was rigged.
[AI] 低于平均水平的群体认为系统被操纵了。
and in this case. of course. they were right.
[AI] 在这种情况下。当然他们是对的。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
Even though the two groups had the same amount of money.
[AI] 尽管这两组人的钱是一样的。
the group that felt richer said we should cut taxes on the wealthy.
[AI] 感到更富有的团体说,我们应该对富人减税。
cut benefits to the poor.
[AI] 削减对穷人的福利。
Let them work hard and be responsible for themselves. they said.
[AI] 让他们努力工作,对自己负责。他们说。
These are attitudes that we normally assume are rooted in deeply held values and a lifetime of experience.
[AI] 我们通常认为,这些态度植根于根深蒂固的价值观和一生的经验。
but a 10-minute exercise that made people feel richer or poorer
[AI] 但是10分钟的锻炼会让人觉得更富有或更穷
was enough to change those views.
[AI] 这足以改变这些观点。
This difference between being rich or poor and feeling rich or poor is important.
[AI] 富有或贫穷与感觉富有或贫穷之间的区别很重要。
because the two don't always line up very well.
[AI] 因为这两个人并不总是排得很好。
You often hear people say with nostalgia.
[AI] 你经常听到人们怀旧地说。
"We were poor. but we didn't know it."
[AI] “我们很穷,但我们不知道。”
That was the case for me growing up.
[AI] 这就是我成长过程中的情况。
until one day.
[AI] 直到有一天。
in the fourth-grade lunch line.
[AI] 在四年级的午餐排队。
we had a new cashier who didn't know the ropes.
[AI] 我们有一个新出纳,他不懂规矩。
and she asked me for 1.25 dollars.
[AI] 她向我要了1.25美元。
I was taken aback. because I had never been asked to pay for my lunch before.
[AI] 我大吃一惊。因为我以前从未被要求支付午餐费用。
I didn't know what to say. because I didn't have any money.
[AI] 我不知道该说什么。因为我没有钱。
And suddenly. I realized for the first time
[AI] 突然间。我第一次意识到
that we free lunch kids were the poor ones.
[AI] 我们免费午餐的孩子都是穷人。
That awkward moment in the school lunch line changed so much for me.
[AI] 学校午餐排队的尴尬时刻让我改变了很多。
because for the first time. I felt poor.
[AI] 因为这是第一次。我觉得很穷。
We didn't have any less money than the day before.
[AI] 我们的钱没有比前一天少。
but for the first time.
[AI] 但这是第一次。
I started noticing things differently.
[AI] 我开始注意到不同的事情。
It changed the way I saw the world.
[AI] 它改变了我看待世界的方式。
I started noticing how the kids who paid for their lunch
[AI] 我开始注意到那些付午餐钱的孩子们
seemed to dress better than the free lunch kids.
[AI] 似乎穿得比免费午餐的孩子们好。
I started noticing the big yellow blocks of government cheese that showed up at our door
[AI] 我开始注意到出现在我们门口的大块黄色政府奶酪
and the food stamps my mother would pull out at the grocery store.
[AI] 还有我妈妈在杂货店买的食品券。
I was always a shy kid.
[AI] 我一直是个害羞的孩子。
but I hardly talked at all after that at school.
[AI] 但从那以后我在学校几乎不说话了。
Who was I to speak up?
[AI] 我是谁,敢说出来?
For decades. social scientists looked for evidence
[AI] 几十年来。社会科学家寻找证据
that feeling deprived compared to other people
[AI] 与其他人相比,这种感觉被剥夺了
would motivate political action.
[AI] 会激发政治行动。
They thought it would mobilize protests. strikes.
[AI] 他们认为这会引起抗议。袭击。
maybe even revolutions.
[AI] 甚至可能是革命。
But again and again what they found was that it paralyzed people.
[AI] 但他们一次又一次地发现它使人们瘫痪。
because the truth is.
[AI] 因为事实是这样的。
feeling less than other people brings shame.
[AI] 感觉不如别人会带来羞耻感。
It makes people turn away.
[AI] 它使人们转向别处。
disgusted with the system.
[AI] 厌恶这种制度。
Feeling better than other people. though --
[AI] 感觉比别人好。虽然--
now that is motivating.
[AI] 现在这是激励。
It motivates us to protect that position.
[AI] 它激励我们保护这一地位。
and it has important consequences for our politics.
[AI] 这对我们的政治有着重要的影响。
To see why. consider another experiment.
[AI] 看看为什么。考虑另一个实验。
Again. we asked participants to make decisions to earn some money.
[AI] 再一次我们要求参与者做出决定来挣钱。
and we told one group that they had done better than average
[AI] 我们告诉一组人,他们做得比平均水平好
and the other group that they had done worse than average.
[AI] 另一组则表示他们的表现比平均水平差。
And again. the better-than-average group said it's a fair meritocracy.
[AI] 一次又一次。优于平均水平的群体表示,这是一种公平的精英管理。
cut taxes on the wealthy.
[AI] 对富人减税。
cut benefits on the poor.
[AI] 削减穷人的福利。
But this time. we also asked them what did they think
[AI] 但这一次。我们还问他们他们是怎么想的
about other participants who disagree with them on those issues.
[AI] 关于在这些问题上与他们意见相左的其他参与者。
Are they smart or incompetent?
[AI] 他们是聪明还是无能?
Are they reasonable or are they biased?
[AI] 它们是合理的还是有偏见的?
The better-than-average group said anybody who disagrees with them
[AI] 比一般人更好的一组人说,任何不同意他们的人
must be incompetent. biased.
[AI] 他一定不称职。有偏见的
blinded by self-interest.
[AI] 被私利蒙蔽了双眼。
The below-average group
[AI] 低于平均水平的群体
didn't assume that about their opponents.
[AI] 没有想到他们的对手会这样。
Now. there are lots of psychology studies
[AI] 现在有很多心理学研究
showing that when people agree with us.
[AI] 表明当人们同意我们的观点时。
we think they're brilliant.
[AI] 我们认为他们很聪明。
and when people disagree with us.
[AI] 当人们不同意我们的观点时。
we tend to think they're idiots.
[AI] 我们倾向于认为他们是白痴。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
But this is new because we found it was driven entirely by the group
[AI] 但这是新的,因为我们发现它完全是由集团推动的
that felt better than average.
[AI] 感觉比一般人好。
who felt entitled to dismiss those people who disagree with them.
[AI] 他们觉得有权解雇那些不同意他们的人。
So think about what this is doing to our politics.
[AI] 想想这对我们的政治有什么影响。
as the haves and have-nots spread further and further apart.
[AI] 随着富人和穷人的距离越来越远。
Yes. a lot of us think that people on the other side are idiots.
[AI] 对我们很多人认为另一边的人是白痴。
but the people politically engaged enough to be yelling at each other about politics
[AI] 但人们在政治上的参与程度足以让他们就政治问题互相大喊大叫
are actually mostly the well-off.
[AI] 实际上大部分都是富人。
In fact. as inequality has grown in recent decades.
[AI] 事实上随着近几十年来不平等性的加剧。
political interest and participation among the poor has plummeted.
[AI] 穷人的政治兴趣和参与度急剧下降。
Again. we see that people who feel left behind
[AI] 再一次我们看到那些感觉被甩在后面的人
aren't taking to the streets to protest or organize voter registration drives.
[AI] 他们不会走上街头抗议或组织选民登记活动。
Often. they aren't even voting.
[AI] 经常他们甚至没有投票。
Instead. they're turning away and dropping out.
[AI] 相反他们转身离开了。
So if we want to do something about extreme inequality.
[AI] 所以,如果我们想对极端不平等做点什么。
we have to fix our politics.
[AI] 我们必须修正我们的政治。
And if we want to fix our politics.
[AI] 如果我们想改变我们的政治。
we have to do something about inequality.
[AI] 我们必须对不平等性采取一些措施。
So what do we do?
[AI] 那我们该怎么办?
The wonderful thing about spirals
[AI] 螺旋的奇妙之处
is that you can interrupt at any point in the cycle.
[AI] 你可以在循环中的任何一点中断。
I think our best bet starts with those of us
[AI] 我认为我们最好的赌注是从我们这些人开始的
who have benefited the most from inequality's rise.
[AI] 谁从不平等的加剧中获益最多。
those of us who have done better than average.
[AI] 我们这些做得比平均水平好的人。
If you've been successful.
[AI] 如果你成功了。
it's natural to chalk up your success to your own hard work.
[AI] 把自己的成功归功于自己的努力是很自然的。
But. like the studies I showed you.
[AI] 但是就像我给你看的研究一样。
everybody does that.
[AI] 每个人都这样做。
whether or not it really was the hard work that mattered most.
[AI] 这是否真的是最重要的艰苦工作。
Every successful person I know
[AI] 我认识的每个成功人士
can think of times when they worked hard and struggled to succeed.
[AI] 可以想起他们努力工作、努力奋斗取得成功的时代。
They can also think of times
[AI] 他们也能想到时间
when they benefited from good luck or a helping hand
[AI] 当他们从好运或帮助中受益时
but that part is harder.
[AI] 但这一部分更难。
Psychologists Shai Davidai and Tom Gilovich
[AI] 心理学家Shai Davidai和Tom Gilovich
call it the "headwind-tailwind asymmetry."
[AI] 称之为“逆风-顺风不对称”
When you're struggling against headwinds.
[AI] 当你与逆风搏斗时。
those obstacles are all you can see.
[AI] 你所能看到的就是这些障碍。
It's what you notice and remember.
[AI] 这是你注意到和记住的。
But when the wind's at your back and everything's going your way.
[AI] 但当风在你身后,一切都朝你的方向发展。
all you notice is yourself
[AI] 你只注意到你自己
and our own amazing talents.
[AI] 还有我们自己惊人的天赋。
So we have to stop and think for a minute
[AI] 所以我们必须停下来思考一下
to recognize those tailwinds helping us along.
[AI] 认识那些帮助我们前进的顺风。
It's so easy to see what's wrong with people who disagree with you.
[AI] 很容易看出不同意你的人有什么问题。
Some of you decided that I was an idiot in the first two minutes.
[AI] 你们中的一些人在头两分钟就认定我是个白痴。
because I said inequality was harmful.
[AI] 因为我说过不平等是有害的。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
The hard part is to recognize
[AI] 困难的部分是要认识到
that if you were in a different position.
[AI] 如果你处于不同的位置。
you might see things differently.
[AI] 你可能会有不同的看法。
just like the subjects in our experiments.
[AI] 就像我们实验的对象一样。
So if you're in the above-average group in life --
[AI] 所以如果你是生活中高于平均水平的群体--
and if you're watching a TED talk. you most likely are --
[AI] 如果你在看TED演讲。你很可能是--
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
then I leave you with this challenge:
[AI] 然后我给你们留下这个挑战:
the next time you're tempted to dismiss someone who disagrees with you
[AI] 下一次你想解雇与你意见相左的人时
as an idiot.
[AI] 像个白痴。
think about the tailwinds that helped you get where you are.
[AI] 想想帮助你达到目的的顺风。
What lucky breaks did you get that might have turned out differently?
[AI] 你有什么幸运的机会可能会有不同的结果?
What helping hands are you grateful for?
[AI] 你感激什么样的援助之手?
Recognizing those tailwinds gives us the humility we need
[AI] 认识到这些顺风给了我们所需要的谦逊
to see that disagreeing with us doesn't make people idiots.
[AI] 看到与我们意见相左并不会让人们变得愚蠢。
The real hard work is in finding common ground.
[AI] 真正艰苦的工作是找到共同点。
because it's the well-off who have the power
[AI] 因为有钱人才有权力
and the responsibility to change things.
[AI] 以及改变事情的责任。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)