声明: 本站全部内容源自互联网,不进行任何盈利行为
仅做 整合 / 美化 处理
Kashmir Hill: So for my birthday last year.
[AI] 克什米尔山:去年我的生日也是这样。
my husband got me an Amazon Echo.
[AI] 我丈夫给我买了一个亚马逊回声。
I was kind of shocked. actually.
[AI] 我有点震惊。事实上
because we both work in privacy and security.
[AI] 因为我们都在隐私和安全方面工作。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And this was a device that would sit in the middle of our home
[AI] 这是一个可以坐在我们家中间的装置
with a microphone on.
[AI] 带着麦克风。
constantly listening.
[AI] 不断地倾听。
We're not alone. though.
[AI] 我们并不孤单。虽然
According to a survey by NPR and Edison Research.
[AI] 根据NPR和爱迪生研究公司的调查。
one in six American adults now has a smart speaker.
[AI] 六分之一的美国成年人现在有一个智能扬声器。
which means that they have a virtual assistant at home.
[AI] 这意味着他们家里有一个虚拟助手。
Like. that's wild.
[AI] 喜欢那太疯狂了。
The future. or the future dystopia. is getting here fast.
[AI] 未来。或者未来的反乌托邦。他很快就到了。
Beyond that. companies are offering us all kinds of internet-connected devices.
[AI] 除此之外。公司为我们提供各种连接互联网的设备。
There are smart lights. smart locks. smart toilets. smart toys.
[AI] 有智能灯。智能锁。智能厕所。智能玩具。
smart sex toys.
[AI] 智能性玩具。
Being smart means the device can connect to the internet.
[AI] 智能意味着设备可以连接到互联网。
it can gather data.
[AI] 它可以收集数据。
and it can talk to its owner.
[AI] 它可以和它的主人交谈。
But once your appliances can talk to you.
[AI] 但一旦你的设备可以和你说话。
who else are they going to be talking to?
[AI] 他们还会跟谁说话?
I wanted to find out.
[AI] 我想知道。
so I went all-in and turned my one-bedroom apartment in San Francisco
[AI] 于是我走了进去,打开了我在旧金山的一居室公寓。
into a smart home.
[AI] 进入智能家居。
I even connected our bed to the internet.
[AI] 我甚至把我们的床连上了互联网。
As far as I know. it was just measuring our sleeping habits.
[AI] 据我所知。这只是测量我们的睡眠习惯。
I can now tell you that the only thing worse
[AI] 我现在可以告诉你,唯一更糟糕的是
than getting a terrible night's sleep
[AI] 比睡一个糟糕的晚上要好
is to have your smart bed tell you the next day
[AI] 就是让你的智能床第二天告诉你
that you "missed your goal and got a low sleep score."
[AI] 你“没有达到目标,睡眠分数很低。”
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
It's like. "Thanks. smart bed.
[AI] 就像。“谢谢,漂亮的床。
As if I didn't already feel like shit today."
[AI] 好像我今天还没觉得自己很糟糕。"
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
All together. I installed 18 internet-connected devices in my home.
[AI] 全部加在一起。我在家里安装了18台连接互联网的设备。
I also installed a Surya.
[AI] 我还安装了Surya。
Surya Mattu: Hi. I'm Surya.
[AI] 苏丽亚·马图:嗨。我是苏里亚。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
I monitored everything the smart home did.
[AI] 我监控了智能家居所做的一切。
I built a special router that let me look at all the network activity.
[AI] 我建立了一个特殊的路由器,让我可以查看所有的网络活动。
You can think of my router sort of like a security guard.
[AI] 你可以把我的路由器想象成一个保安。
compulsively logging all the network packets
[AI] 强制记录所有网络数据包
as they entered and left the smart home.
[AI] 当他们进出智能家居时。
KH: Surya and I are both journalists. he's not my husband.
[AI] 我和苏里亚都是记者。他不是我丈夫。
we just work together at Gizmodo.
[AI] 我们只是在Gizmodo一起工作。
SM: Thank you for clarifying.
[AI] 山猫:谢谢你的澄清。
The devices Kashmir bought --
[AI] 克什米尔购买的设备--
we were interested in understanding
[AI] 我们对理解感兴趣
what they were saying to their manufacturers.
[AI] 他们对制造商说的话。
But we were also interested in understanding
[AI] 但我们也对理解感兴趣
what the home's digital emissions look like
[AI] 家庭的数字辐射是什么样子的
to the internet service provider.
[AI] 给互联网服务提供商。
We were seeing what the ISP could see. but more importantly.
[AI] 我们看到了ISP能看到的东西。但更重要的是。
what they could sell.
[AI] 他们能卖的东西。
KH: We ran the experiment for two months.
[AI] 我们做了两个月的实验。
In that two months.
[AI] 在那两个月里。
there wasn't a single hour of digital silence in the house --
[AI] 房子里没有一个小时的数码静默--
not even when we went away for a week.
[AI] 即使我们离开一个星期也不行。
SM: Yeah. it's so true.
[AI] 山猫:是的。这是真的。
Based on the data. I knew when you guys woke up and went to bed.
[AI] 根据数据。我知道你们醒来睡觉的时候。
I even knew when Kashmir brushed her teeth.
[AI] 我甚至知道克什米尔什么时候刷牙。
I'm not going to out your brushing habits.
[AI] 我不会改变你刷牙的习惯。
but let's just say it was very clear to me when you were working from home.
[AI] 但我要说的是,当你在家工作时,我很清楚。
KH: Uh. I think you just outed them to. like. a lot of people here.
[AI] 赫:嗯。我想你刚刚把他们告诉了我。喜欢这里有很多人。
SM: Don't be embarrassed. it's just metadata.
[AI] 山猫:别不好意思。这只是元数据。
I knew when you turned on your TV and how long you watched it for.
[AI] 我知道你什么时候打开电视,看了多长时间。
Fun fact about the Hill household:
[AI] 关于希尔家庭的有趣事实:
they don't watch a lot of television.
[AI] 他们不常看电视。
but when they do. it's usually in binge mode.
[AI] 但当他们这样做的时候。它通常处于狂欢模式。
Favorite shows include "Difficult People" and "Party Down."
[AI] 最受欢迎的节目包括“难相处的人”和“聚会结束”
KH: OK. you're right. I loved "Party Down."
[AI] 好的。你说得对。我喜欢“派对结束”
It's a great show. and you should definitely watch it.
[AI] 这是一场精彩的演出。你一定要看。
But "Difficult People" was all my husband. Trevor.
[AI] 但“难相处的人”都是我丈夫。特雷弗。
And Trevor was actually a little upset that you knew about his binges.
[AI] 特雷弗其实有点不高兴,因为你知道他的狂欢。
because even though he'd been the one to connect the TV to the router.
[AI] 因为即使他是那个把电视和路由器连接起来的人。
he forgot that the TV was watching us.
[AI] 他忘了电视在看我们。
It's actually not the first time that our TV has spied on us.
[AI] 事实上,这已经不是我们的电视台第一次监视我们了。
The company that made it. VIZIO.
[AI] 制造它的公司。维齐奥。
paid a 2.2 million-dollar settlement to the government just last year.
[AI] 去年刚刚向政府支付了220万美元的和解金。
because it had been collecting second-by-second information
[AI] 因为它一直在一秒一秒地收集信息
about what millions of people were watching on TV. including us.
[AI] 关于数百万人在电视上观看的内容。包括我们。
and then it was selling that information to data brokers and advertisers.
[AI] 然后它将这些信息卖给数据代理和广告商。
SM: Ah. classic surveillance economy move.
[AI] 山猫:啊。经典的监视经济动作。
The devices Kashmir bought almost all pinged their servers daily.
[AI] 克什米尔购买的设备几乎每天都在ping服务器。
But do you know which device was especially chatty?
[AI] 但是你知道哪个设备特别健谈吗?
The Amazon Echo.
[AI] 亚马逊回声。
It contacted its servers every three minutes.
[AI] 它每三分钟联系一次服务器。
regardless of whether you were using it or not.
[AI] 不管你是否在使用它。
KH: In general. it was disconcerting
[AI] 一般来说。这令人不安
that all these devices were having ongoing conversations
[AI] 所有这些设备都在进行对话
that were invisible to me.
[AI] 那是我看不见的。
I mean. I would have had no idea. without your router.
[AI] 我是说。我不知道。没有你的路由器。
If you buy a smart device. you should probably know --
[AI] 如果你买了智能设备。你应该知道--
you're going to own the device.
[AI] 你将拥有这个设备。
but in general. the company is going to own your data.
[AI] 但总的来说。公司将拥有你的数据。
And you know. I mean. maybe that's to be expected --
[AI] 你知道的。我是说。也许这是意料之中的--
you buy an internet-connected device. it's going to use the internet.
[AI] 你买了一台连接互联网的设备。它将使用互联网。
But it's strange to have these devices moving into the intimate space that is the home
[AI] 但奇怪的是,这些设备进入了家庭的亲密空间
and allowing companies to track our really basic behavior there.
[AI] 允许公司跟踪我们在那里的基本行为。
SM: So true.
[AI] 山猫:真的。
Even the most banal-seeming data can be mined by the surveillance economy.
[AI] 即使是最平庸的数据也可以通过监视经济进行挖掘。
For example. who cares how often you brush your teeth?
[AI] 例如谁在乎你多久刷牙一次?
Well. as it turns out. there's a dental insurance company called Beam.
[AI] 好事实证明。有一家名为Beam的牙科保险公司。
They've been monitoring their customers' smart toothbrushes since 2015 --
[AI] 自2015年以来,他们一直在监控客户的智能牙刷--
for discounts on their premiums. of course.
[AI] 保险费的折扣。当然
KH: We know what some of you are thinking:
[AI] KH:我们知道你们中的一些人在想什么:
this is the contract of the modern world.
[AI] 这是现代世界的契约。
You give up a little privacy.
[AI] 你放弃了一点隐私。
and you get some convenience or some price breaks in return.
[AI] 你会得到一些便利或者一些价格优惠作为回报。
But that wasn't my experience in my smart home.
[AI] 但这不是我在智能家居的经历。
It wasn't convenient. it was infuriating.
[AI] 这不方便。这是令人愤怒的。
I'll admit. I love my smart vacuum.
[AI] 我承认。我喜欢我的智能吸尘器。
but many other things in the house drove me insane:
[AI] 但房子里还有很多其他东西让我发疯:
we ran out of electrical outlets.
[AI] 我们的电源插座用完了。
and I had to download over a dozen apps to my phone
[AI] 我不得不把十几个应用程序下载到我的手机上
to control everything.
[AI] 控制一切。
And then every device had its own log-in.
[AI] 然后每个设备都有自己的登录。
my toothbrush had a password ...
[AI] 我的牙刷有密码。。。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And smart coffee. especially. was just a world of hell.
[AI] 还有浓咖啡。尤其地那只是一个地狱的世界。
SM: Wait. really? Cloud-powered coffee wasn't really working for you?
[AI] 山猫:等等。真正地云端咖啡对你来说真的不管用吗?
KH: I mean. maybe I'm naive. but I thought it was going to be great.
[AI] 我是说。也许我太天真了。但我觉得会很棒的。
I thought we'd just wake up in the morning and we'd say. "Alexa. make us coffee."
[AI] 我想我们早上醒来后会说。“亚历山大,给我们煮咖啡。”
But that's not how it went down.
[AI] 但事情并非如此。
We had to use this really particular. brand-specific phrase to make it work.
[AI] 我们必须使用这个非常特别的。品牌特定的短语,使其发挥作用。
It was. "Alexa. ask the Behmor to run quick start."
[AI] 是的。“Alexa.让Behmor运行快速启动。”
And this was just. like. really hard to remember
[AI] 而这只是一个简单的例子。喜欢真的很难记住
first thing in the morning.
[AI] 早上的第一件事。
before you have had your caffeine.
[AI] 在你喝了咖啡因之前。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And apparently. it was hard to say.
[AI] 而且很明显。很难说。
because the Echo Dot that was right next to our bed
[AI] 因为就在我们床边的回声点
just couldn't understand us.
[AI] 只是不理解我们。
So we would basically start every day by screaming this phrase at the Echo Dot.
[AI] 所以我们基本上每天都会对着回声点尖叫这个短语。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
And Trevor hated this.
[AI] 特雷弗讨厌这样。
He'd be like. "Please. Kashmir.
[AI] 他会像。“拜托,克什米尔。
just let me go to the kitchen and push the button to make the coffee run."
[AI] 让我去厨房,按一下按钮,让咖啡开起来。"
And I'd be like. "No. you can't!
[AI] 我会喜欢的。“不,你不能!
We have to do it the smart way!"
[AI] 我们必须以明智的方式去做!"
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
I'm happy to report that our marriage survived the experiment.
[AI] 我很高兴地报告,我们的婚姻在实验中幸存了下来。
but just barely.
[AI] 但几乎没有。
SM: If you decide to make your home smart.
[AI] SM:如果你决定让你的家变得更智能。
hopefully. you’ll find it less infuriating than Kashmir did.
[AI] 有希望地你会发现它不像克什米尔那样令人愤怒。
But regardless. the smart things you buy
[AI] 但无论如何。你买的聪明的东西
can and probably are used to target and profile you.
[AI] 可以而且很可能被用来定位和分析你。
Just the number of devices you have can be used to predict
[AI] 仅仅是你拥有的设备数量就可以用来预测
how rich or poor you are.
[AI] 你是多么富有或贫穷。
Facebook's made this tech. and they've also patented it.
[AI] Facebook制造了这项技术,他们还申请了专利。
KH: All the anxiety you currently feel every time you go online.
[AI] KH:你现在每次上网都会感到焦虑。
about being tracked.
[AI] 关于被跟踪。
is about to move into your living room.
[AI] 就要搬进你的客厅了。
Or into your bedroom.
[AI] 或者进你的卧室。
There's this sex toy called the We-Vibe.
[AI] 有一种叫做“我们感觉”的性玩具。
You might wonder why a sex toy connects to the internet.
[AI] 你可能想知道为什么性玩具会连接到互联网。
but it's for two people who are in a long-distance relationship.
[AI] 但这是为两个处于远距离关系中的人准备的。
so they can share their love from afar.
[AI] 所以他们可以在远方分享他们的爱。
Some hackers took a close look at this toy
[AI] 一些黑客仔细观察了这个玩具
and saw it was sending a lot of information
[AI] 看到它发送了很多信息
back to the company that made it --
[AI] 回到制造它的公司--
when it was used. how long it was used for.
[AI] 当它被使用的时候。它用了多长时间。
what the vibration settings were. how hot the toy got.
[AI] 振动设置是什么。玩具多热啊。
It was all going into a database.
[AI] 这一切都进入了数据库。
So I reached out to the company.
[AI] 所以我向公司求助。
and I said. "Why are you collecting this really sensitive data?"
[AI] 我说。“你为什么收集这些非常敏感的数据?”
And they said. "Well. it's great for market research."
[AI] 他们说。“嗯,这对市场研究很有帮助。”
But they were data-mining their customers' orgasms.
[AI] 但他们正在对顾客的性高潮进行数据挖掘。
And they weren't telling them about it.
[AI] 他们没有告诉他们。
I mean. even if you're cavalier about privacy.
[AI] 我是说。即使你对隐私很傲慢。
I hope that you would admit that's a step too far.
[AI] 我希望你能承认这是一个过分的步骤。
SM: This is why I want to keep my sex toys dumb.
[AI] 山猫:这就是为什么我想让我的性玩具保持沉默。
KH: That's great.
[AI] 那太好了。
We're all very glad to know that.
[AI] 我们都很高兴知道这一点。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
SM: A data point I'm willing to share.
[AI] SM:一个我愿意分享的数据点。
(Laughter)
[AI] (众笑)
The devices Kashmir bought range from useful to annoying.
[AI] 克什米尔购买的设备从有用到烦人。
But the thing they all had in common
[AI] 但他们都有共同点
was sharing data with the companies that made them.
[AI] 与制造它们的公司共享数据。
With email service providers and social media.
[AI] 与电子邮件服务提供商和社交媒体合作。
we've long been told that if it's free. you're the product.
[AI] 我们早就被告知如果免费的话。你就是产品。
But with the internet of things. it seems.
[AI] 但是有了物联网。似乎是这样。
even if you pay. you're still the product.
[AI] 即使你付钱。你仍然是产品。
So you really have to ask:
[AI] 所以你真的要问:
Who's the true beneficiary of your smart home.
[AI] 谁是你智能家居的真正受益者。
you or the company mining you?
[AI] 你还是挖掘你的公司?
KH: Look. we're a tech savvy crowd here.
[AI] 看。我们是一群精通技术的人。
I think most of us know that these things connect to the internet
[AI] 我想我们大多数人都知道这些东西连接到互联网上
and send data out.
[AI] 并发送数据。
And fine. maybe you're OK with living in that commercial panopticon.
[AI] 很好。也许你可以住在商业全景电视里。
but others aren't.
[AI] 但其他人并非如此。
We need the companies to rethink the design of these devices
[AI] 我们需要这些公司重新考虑这些设备的设计
with our privacy in mind.
[AI] 考虑到我们的隐私。
because we're not all willing to participate in "market research."
[AI] 因为我们并不都愿意参与“市场调查”
just because a device we bought has a Wi-Fi connection.
[AI] 就因为我们买的设备有Wi-Fi连接。
And I have to tell you.
[AI] 我必须告诉你。
even when you're aware. generally. this is happening.
[AI] 即使你意识到了。通常地这正在发生。
it's really easy to forget that normal household items are spying on you.
[AI] 人们很容易忘记,普通的家庭用品正在监视你。
It's easy to forget these things are watching you.
[AI] 很容易忘记这些东西在看着你。
because they don't look like cameras.
[AI] 因为它们看起来不像照相机。
They could look like ...
[AI] 他们可能看起来像。。。
well. they could look like a dildo.
[AI] 好它们看起来像假阴茎。
Thank you.
[AI] 非常感谢。
(Applause)
[AI] (掌声)